Islander vs. Trophy vs. Rapala vs. Amundson

What kind of reel would you suggest when you have one time noobs on the boat? Chinook + Noobs + Mooching Reel + fishing running at the boat = fish lost. Despite telling my friends to real hard and fast when they run at the boat they always stop and go on about the fish is lost. Is there a better reel for noobs with a better gear ratio so that they can keep up when the chinook run at the boat?
Big butt spinning reel lol

Hammer on the throttle !!!!!!! no matter what reel you have your NOT going to catch up to a spring running at you part of the game...

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac...fishing-reels/baitrunner/charter-special.html

tr1000ld.jpg

Pair it with a $50 Shimano Triton rod and you're laughing since they'll never break the thing.

What kind of reel would you suggest when you have one time noobs on the boat? Chinook + Noobs + Mooching Reel + fishing running at the boat = fish lost. Despite telling my friends to real hard and fast when they run at the boat they always stop and go on about the fish is lost. Is there a better reel for noobs with a better gear ratio so that they can keep up when the chinook run at the boat?
Yes, they are called level wind reels and i use them for the tourist rookies that have never fished before and want to try salmon fishing

I have 2 Daiwa Saltist Levelwinds with a 6.4:1 gear ratio, extremely well built reels and fast enough to keep up with any fish on a good run. I found that most of my friends and family that don't fish much hate using Mooching setups. I load with braid and a 50' top shot of mono to hold the clip. Another advantage is that they are good jigging reels. My friend used two of the size 40's last year and spooled 270 yards of 30lb. I ordered the STTLW30HA as I'll be using braid. Can't go wrong there... Http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/saltist_lw/index.html

Yes, they are called level wind reels and i use them for the tourist rookies that have never fished before and want to try salmon fishing
I think that's a bit over generalizing. My mother has caught lots of fish but as she's nearing 70 with bad wrists a little help from gear only makes sense.

I have 2 Daiwa Saltist Levelwinds with a 6.4:1 gear ratio, extremely well built reels and fast enough to keep up with any fish on a good run. I found that most of my friends and family that don't fish much hate using Mooching setups. I load with braid and a 50' top shot of mono to hold the clip. Another advantage is that they are good jigging reels. My friend used two of the size 40's last year and spooled 270 yards of 30lb. I ordered the STTLW30HA as I'll be using braid. Can't go wrong there... Http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/saltist_lw/index.html

That's a nice looking reel Curtis.

I have a Daiwa Accudepth 47LCB that I'd like to try this summer for Salmon, both for the inexperienced angler as well as for the kids. I also plan to use this one to give your mysterious 'butterfly jigging' a try. :p Gear ratio is only 4.2:1 but is better than the 1:1 moocher's.

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/accudepth_plus-b/index.html

I also have a Penn 9M Level wind but it's a bit smaller and more 'delicate'.

That's a nice looking reel Curtis.

I have a Daiwa Accudepth 47LCB that I'd like to try this summer for Salmon, both for the inexperienced angler as well as for the kids. I also plan to use this one to give your mysterious 'butterfly jigging' a try. :p Gear ratio is only 4.2:1 but is better than the 1:1 moocher's.

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/accudepth_plus-b/index.html

I also have a Penn 9M Level wind but it's a bit smaller and more 'delicate'.

That'll work just fine. Last year I had my Shimano Tekota 300 rigged up all summer with a plug on it. They are very similar reels.

I think that's a bit over generalizing. My mother has caught lots of fish but as she's nearing 70 with bad wrists a little help from gear only makes sense.
Maybe so, as well as the rookies i have several elderly and or US clients that appreciate those multiplier reels instead of being forced to use single action as some guides do.

You bet.....I carry 3 of each salmon set ups in my boat

I'm planning to have a couple level winds this year, and also plan to use mono instead of braid. I think that should help with the 'forgiveness factor' for the inexperienced. It's one thing to strong arm a nice spring to the boat with heavy gear but it's another to be able to finesse it as well with more moderate gear.

That'll work just fine. Last year I had my Shimano Tekota 300 rigged up all summer with a plug on it. They are very similar reels.

Good to know, less money to need to spend. I can save it for the Tackle Shack! :D

ITS called "SPORT FISHING" ill never go to a level wind!!!!!!! tradition is a single action reel learn to use it, and im gonna get flack for this but I dont care LOL people are lazy along with some guides they just say reel reel reel ,just keep reeling keep reeling.......
"GUIDE"
to accompany (a sightseer) to show points of interest and to explain their meaning or significance.a person who guides, especially one hired to guide travelers, tourists,

Thousands of salmon anglers south and north of our borders have used level winds for Salmon for decades....that is their tradition.

Guiding is a service industry, not what we deem to be tradition.

popcorn time, this is going to get interesting ....lol

Growing up, we used spinning reels for everything. My dad thought trolling was for non-sportsmen, and his heavy rig for big fish was some old Shimano with 20lb test. He used it only for big game, which for us was halibut and chinook. Everything else was 15lb test on some other old Shimano or Daiwa spinning reel. Downriggers and flashers were "commercial gear" and trolling was "driving around dragging bait" and thoroughly looked down upon. He had a couple of single action mooching rigs, but rarely used them as he felt the only "pure" fishing, for true sportsmen, was drifting and casting.

No matter what gear you use, somebody is looking at you and shaking their head in disdain.

Personally I could see using a levelwind (although I don't own any, unless you count my spinning reels) because I don't really feel like guiding fishing line back and forth with my finger or turning a reel 400 times instead of 200 is an essential part of my fishing experience.

Of course, I also don't much worry about whether people think I'm a noob. Even if I knew tons about fishing (and I don't, really; I only know what I grew up with) I'd still be a noob at some aspect of it, I'm sure.

Not sure how another thread spun off topic but......

I played with one at the outdoors show and think the Admundson will have a winner if they stand up to the salt as well as the islanders, but only time will tell.

My experience shows cheaper offshore built reels don't stand up to the test of time, they either start with lessor quality aluminium or don't do as good of a job with their coatings.

I'm with Wolf on this one,I've tried level winds,and hate them.Even my halibut rods are bottom mount reels.I can certainly understand why guides use them after watching their clients lose fish by clamping down or birds nesting a single action reel.Amundson seems to be on the right track with their drag system,the TMX5 will be my next reel purchase.

Back