Islander Reels

Hindsight

Any one having problems with bearings and Customer Service ? I need to find new reels for this coming season. Just need to hold up for one season and I will be happy, not offshore just on the beach. Any good reels that I may not know about please pass it on.. Trophy, and all the Japan stuff I know any thing new ?

in other words bearing failure and Islander not giving a damn? sounds like a problem considering they are marketing $600 reels. What model are you having issues with?

just a FYI all of the machined aluminum mooching reels have the same bearing arrangment as the islander MR2/MR3. They will all have the same problems. The only reel with a differnet bearing setup is the RST. The bearings in an islander are easy to change. Just punch out the failed beairngs and find a bearing supply house close to you. The bearings will be cheaper than what you can get from islander. Or you could check out Bocabearings.com and order aything you need. Also after every fishing trip your drags should be loosened up as that will kill the bearings quickly. When I used to guide on the west side charlottes I would do at least 1 complete bearing change per reel for the 3 month season. It is just a fact of life with the bearing arrangment in the these reels. Just my thoughts.

All things in salt water take abuse including Islander reels. I personally service mine every week in the guiding season. In the off season I take it to the guy below and get all new bearing, and a good going over service! its called maintenance.

Country Rod Crafting - Mike Flynn
3709 Remora PlNanoose Bay, BC, CanadaV9P 9H1P: 1-250-468-5708

Ya he is the same guy we use to service our halibut rods, oh maintenance same every week. Still the product is failing..

All things in salt water take abuse including Islander reels. I personally service mine every week in the guiding season. In the off season I take it to the guy below and get all new bearing, and a good going over service! its called maintenance.

Country Rod Crafting - Mike Flynn
3709 Remora PlNanoose Bay, BC, CanadaV9P 9H1P: 1-250-468-5708

thats the short of it for sure, tired of the same customer is at fault BS Now look at how Scotty works never have i heard a bad thing about them

in other words bearing failure and Islander not giving a damn? sounds like a problem considering they are marketing $600 reels. What model are you having issues with?

Back