Island deer rifle

Thanks man, i would also like to take on the restricted pal course , not sure i would buy an AR-15 but the stainless 1911 would definately be fun , as for the AR - 1600-3000$ to shoot paper taregets is a little out of my range . Took the 270 back to the range yesterday with two boxes in the 130 grain... a fellow range member lent me his rifle rest and i was able to get a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards , so far the 130 Core lokt ammo from remington seems to be my best bet whoever reccomended that i thank you

I always like the federal ammo in blue boxes. Best bang for the dollar. But the bast ammo I ever shot was the federal premium.

A good friend of mine swears by Federal premium for his 7mil remington, will have to try a box , 60$ for a box of 7m is pricey tho ..

If you know someone who reloads up there thats an option get one taylor made to your gun.. its not really that hard and cheaper in long run

my medallion X-bolt likes the Hornady custom stuff,
its a tack driver at 100yards, pretty easy to put one on top the other

IMG_1469.JPG IMG_1468.JPG View attachment 30339 Picked up a rifle rest and some more ammo yesterday.., haven't tried the Hornaday ammo yet , but it looksgood, after trying a fellow fish n game members rifle rest i had to have one ... went with a cheaper model after my fuel pump decided to pack it in on the parkway the day after i just put a catback exhausht system in my truck.. in tank fuelpumps.. gotta luv em

save all your brass Jeff you will have a good head start on reloaded brass as its fitted for your gun...

Don't get too used to shooting off that kind of rest. It will do nothing for your field marksmanship. Get a .22. Do lots of off-hand shooting and shooting using improvised rests. Then do a few with the big gun to complete the exercise. No harm in doing a bit of dry fire practice either.

IMG_1477.JPG IMG_1475.JPG
Don't get too used to shooting off that kind of rest. It will do nothing for your field marksmanship. Get a .22. Do lots of off-hand shooting and shooting using improvised rests. Then do a few with the big gun to complete the exercise. No harm in doing a bit of dry fire practice either.
I have owned a ruger 10/22 since i was 11, it is a 1967 centeniel edition .. had alot of fun plinking over the years.. been saving all my 270 brass for when Sculpin's reloading operation opens up, also i realize the rest wont do much for my
Field marksmanship but it does help eliminate a bunch of the guess work as to weather or not it is me or my rifle that is causing inconsistencies in my grouping.. for 60$ i think it is well worth the investment.

Last edited:
Well a bit of an older thread but after having double hernia surgery a few weeks ago I've had some free time to surf the net.... I haven't hunted in quite a while but have wanted to add a few guns to the collection for a few reasons. My son is still young and still quite happy with his BB gun when we go out quadding but I know he will be interested in more soon. Even if he doesn't get the bug to hunt I want him to know and respect guns and like all dads I want to teach him. I spent lots of time researching economical rifles and wanted to add a 270 to collection. After lots of reading and a trip to a local gun store I ordered a Weatherby Vanguard SS model in a 270win. The gun comes with a sub MOA of an inch so we'll see? The gun arrived yesterday and it seems quite nice for the money....imo. Not totally sold on the dark grey stock but it's growing on me...lol. I went with a Leupold VX2 scope and I'm waiting for the rings to arrive on Monday. I'm looking forward to setting it up next week and putting some rounds through it! Like I said a little of a late post but it was a good thread to read.....

Well a bit of an older thread but after having double hernia surgery a few weeks ago I've had some free time to surf the net.... I haven't hunted in quite a while but have wanted to add a few guns to the collection for a few reasons. My son is still young and still quite happy with his BB gun when we go out quadding but I know he will be interested in more soon. Even if he doesn't get the bug to hunt I want him to know and respect guns and like all dads I want to teach him. I spent lots of time researching economical rifles and wanted to add a 270 to collection. After lots of reading and a trip to a local gun store I ordered a Weatherby Vanguard SS model in a 270win. The gun comes with a sub MOA of an inch so we'll see? The gun arrived yesterday and it seems quite nice for the money....imo. Not totally sold on the dark grey stock but it's growing on me...lol. I went with a Leupold VX2 scope and I'm waiting for the rings to arrive on Monday. I'm looking forward to setting it up next week and putting some rounds through it! Like I said a little of a late post but it was a good thread to read.....

I have the same gun in 300win. Once you dial your scope in the gun will be or should be as said. You will like the stock if you are shooting in the rain, the inlays are very sticky when wet and make it quite solid in your grip. Enjoy!

My 8 year old is also just getting into handling guns, I took him to the local gun club and he did the rascals .22 program. Great for the kids and the old guys that teach them don't let them get away with anything especially laziness when it comes to being safe. Great program and now my son handles his .22 as he should and was taught without me having to be on his case. Check into the program with your local club if they offer it.

Thanks TC......my son is a year younger than yours but definitely keen to start learning. I'm going to check into the local range this week and I know a few people that are already members. Still full on winter here in Northern Alberta but it won't last forever.... Good to know that your gun is what they say it is. From what I've read it's supposed to be more than decent for the money. I'll make a follow up post perhaps once I set it up and run a few different brands of ammo through it....looking forward to shooting again.

My gun likes the Fusion ammo. At 200 yds the cheap stuff is sub 1". I have tried a bunch of brands and they are all decent but you get the odd one that goes way out. Have fun and enjoy the time with your son because once he is comfortable with a gun, that is all he will want to do.

Been having alot fun shooting the 270,that shoud be a decent rifle , was kinda kicking myself after for not going for a stainless /composite , plenty of room left in my cabinet so i may add one yet . good luck with the new rifle and never worry about re-booting an old thread..

Been having alot fun shooting the 270,that shoud be a decent rifle , was kinda kicking myself after for not going for a stainless /composite , plenty of room left in my cabinet so i may add one yet . good luck with the new rifle and never worry about re-booting an old thread..

Went out today with whitey and the kids and had some fun with 1/2lb tannerite mix. Good for seeing
How well you have your gun sited in. You know when you hit the target. Way more fun than ringing the gong at the range but a lot more expensive. Give it a try, a 3" plastic jar of fun at 200 yds.

I actually wasn't too hung up on getting the Stainless model but ended up finding one for $50.00 more than a blue barrelled one. Just had to wait a few days for delivery. Hopefully the rings show up tomorrow and I'll set it up. There's actually a bit of a weather break up here so squeezing off a few rounds just might happen.

Went out today with whitey and the kids and had some fun with 1/2lb tannerite mix. Good for seeing
How well you have your gun sited in. You know when you hit the target. Way more fun than ringing the gong at the range but a lot more expensive. Give it a try, a 3" plastic jar of fun at 200 yds.

You can buy what you need to make your own tannerite on ebay for about a third of what it costs to buy the pre rolled. Buy aluminum powder in 400 or finer mesh, and ammonium nitrate instant cold packs just make sure they're the ammonium nitrate not urea the ad usually specifies which it is. Then mix it 95% AN with 5% aluminum by weight. The cold packs are AN pellets and a bag of water in another bag. I toss the bag of water then add the aluminum to the AN in the cold pack bag and tape it up, having a scale at the range is a PITA so figure out how many portions of a teaspoon or whatever are needed per cold pack at home then measure that way when at the range. Can't say these are the best deal but just a couple I grabbed in 30 seconds of looking;

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/400g-Alumini...336994?hash=item1c705eac62:g:Ua8AAOSwgmJX1ELD

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Primacare-PC...805515?hash=item2117a7fb0b:g:zlQAAOSw8w1X6nLr

If you try it make sure you store the cold packs somewhere warm and dry, an unheated garage or shed will let them soak up moisture.

Tannerite is fun, ensure you are safe, there have been some issues, yes easy to see hits with WOW factor. Not sure if making my own would be something I would search with my computer?

Did get to use the new tikka last year. No love on mainland for any species but 3 shots on island. 2 meat bucks and a huge male wolf called in with the doe/fawn in distress.

Overall good year and love the new stainless 300wsm, 5.5lb, camo, 1" group gun with many hand loaded nosler accubond 165s, all with a detachable mag.

HM

I found the exploding targets at wholesale sports are alot more of a bang 15$ eachfor the 1lb ones but you will not be dissapointed... 150 yards minimum with these ones...

Back