Island deer rifle

You should grab a couple more boxes of different ammo and see what shoots best out her Jeff ;). I usually buy 3-4 boxes for new rifles. Pick the one that shoots best and use the rest for smacking gongs lol.

What kind other than federal did you buy? What gr and type?
I havent bought any others yet then the two boxes of federal softpoint in 150 grain.. i know some rifles are finicky and shoot better with different ammo but i will try this for sighting it in, i was told with my sight in at 25 yards i should be 1" high at100 yards and pretty near on at 200 yards ..

You should grab a couple more boxes of different ammo and see what shoots best out her Jeff ;). I usually buy 3-4 boxes for new rifles. Pick the one that shoots best and use the rest for smacking gongs lol.
Again huge learning curve for me here as i have only ever been using my ruger 10/22 at the range , some targets and some Vortex flip up scope cover this morning from wholesale sports , almost bought the same gun there with the scope in Ziess 3x9x42 they have only 2 left and it is a 500$ scope on for 299.99.. just about sealed the deal then went to Cabela's and found this package on sale .. saved a few bucks for the case,sling,ammo and what not...

I havent bought any others yet then the two boxes of federal softpoint in 150 grain.. i know some rifles are finicky and shoot better with different ammo but i will try this for sighting it in, i was told with my sight in at 25 yards i should be 1" high at100 yards and pretty near on at 200 yards ..

I like rem 130gr corelock psp. 15-20 blacktail have fallen to this round all one shot. It's an argument but I dont think those 150gr move fast enough. The late jack O'Conner who shot countless elk with .277 said speed kills with the .277 . Mine is sighted in at 200 and I hold dead on to 300. After 300 your shooting game not really hunting, imo

Congrats on your purchase. You done good.
270 was kind of made famous with the 130 gr. That pill at ~3000 fps(+) definitely zaps game. The 150's at ~2900 are no slouch. Thats near or better than the 308 or 3006 velocity for the same weight, but a longer, narrower more efficient flier and penetrator. Brake in your rifle properly and if you find a particular good load in either weight, stock up. Good shooting!

A good used one too as new is nice but like i said my old 06 is about 50 years old and in good shape sometimes you can find some steller oestate sale guns and ill be honest in saying too the steel back then was awfully good.
best thing is to "find" a gun be it 06,270 or 308 just dont limit yourself to just one caliber those are the most easy ammo to find and ballistics are damn near all the same and all will shot a

Inst gun shopping FUN LOL

Next ill get you into reloading LOL you think picking a gun is confusing.....
Im ruined now ... i know when i want something i kinda get it set in my mind and cant it out, right now i just want to get this Ruger dialed in so i can have a chance at a buck

I just returned from the range , bought a one year membership and sighted the rifle in , 1/2 grouping at 100 yards ... not me but this old fella named Gary that was coaching me .. like i said lots to learn , he used some of ammo he reloads in 130 grain to get that tight of a grouping but I was more in the 2 inch grouping range .. still not terrible for the first time shooting it , also i cracked the "gong" at 200 yards a couple times and you could not beat the smile off my face with a stick when that gong started swinging ...pretty stoked Gave the old boy my brass and a few targets for helping me get it dialed but it was shooting not to bad out of the box just had dial it over about a couple inches to the right ... going to try some different ammo next time so by all
Means shoot with the suggestions , i actually had the remington corelock 130 in my hand when the Cabela's staff talked me into the fedral power 150

Right on and good on yeah for getting out to the range and going with a mentor. Every rifle is different so it's a bit of a crap shoot trying factory ammo. My Ruger No.1 in .303 British loves the Remington Core Loks, my odd six likes the cheap Winchester stuff best, My .375 Ruger likes Hornady best, and my old .30-.30 Marlin shoots anything great but is amazing with the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. Going to start reloading this winter once the man knitting room is complete lol. Save your brass! Once you start using hand loads you can really fine tune the rifle.

Right on and good on yeah for getting out to the range and going with a mentor. Every rifle is different so it's a bit of a crap shoot trying factory ammo. My Ruger No.1 in .303 British loves the Remington Core Loks, my odd six likes the cheap Winchester stuff best, My .375 Ruger likes Hornady best, and my old .30-.30 Marlin shoots anything great but is amazing with the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. Going to start reloading this winter once the man knitting room is complete lol. Save your brass! Once you start using hand loads you can really fine tune the rifle.
Haha .. didn't go with a Mentor he was just a fella that happened to be up their and had way more shooting experience, his lighter grain ammo he reloaded himself was noticably more accurate , i ran a whole box thru , he taught me quite a bit in a short time, also Jon the care taker showed me around the range and was very helpful, the trap range also looks like alot of fun would like to try it and the skeet too . I am all set with my own clay hucker too just looking for a spare tire to mount it too , i am yet to try out the PA-08 weatherby

Well when you start reloading it gets even more fun ive tried all kinds of lead powder configurations. one gun I use the lead has to be just touching the lands another one no , had bullets tumble and hit paper sideways. when your ready call me ill help you out .. shoot lots and lots get to know what that gun will and can do I used to go thru 100 rds a year just because on the main gun and 1000s on the 22 as it trains your eye, hand, breathing technique and only way to master it is to practice. with your 270 only shoot 3 or 4 thru it and let it cool down then plunk away with the 22 or heck another gun... your new one wont mind sharing (not like a woman) LOL have fun

Wolf

Thanks Wolf , i realize accuracy goes out the window once you heat the barrel up , i was practicing with 3 shot groups , all the more reason for additional rifles ... The old fella at the range had 223,243,270 .. nice combo .. i need to head back to range tomorrow with some different ammo to try and tighten My grouping a little , any suggestions for a different round to try ? Going to pick up a couple more boxes today..

For your 270 id stick to 130 gr for island deer more than enough for them when you find something that shoots well im sure the same brand in a heavier load will be good as well just need to find what shoots best for the gun a 2 inch group is a good starting point it also could be you a little bit too takes lots of practice hence why shooting a 22 really trains your eye hand coordination,
AS for loads bud i honestly dont know as I reload all my guns have for a very long time my dad taught me along with a few ol times who have since past.
have fun.....

I'd stick with the 130's as well. Once you have your brand figured for that weight then dabble with 150,s. If you want to shoot 150's the 3006 was the way to go.

Heavy bullets always seem to be more accurate. They are more stable but they don't have that "zap" or flat shooting characteristics that folks are looking for. My 06 likes 180's. Try a box of 150's and you will be surprised. I suggest trying all sorts of different grain bullets to see how the rifle performs with them. It is interesting stuff for sure. Like I posted before, the rest of the box is not totally wasted. Use them on gongs, milk jugs full of water, or what have you. Like Wolf posted.....practice, practice, practice. In other words shoot her a lot and get to know your rifle. A lot of people are cheap and don't want to shoot their gun a lot. It serves no good to the game they are chasing if they don't know their rifle. I good rifleman is one who spends the time shooting it to know how it will perform with various loads and different grain bullets etc. Buy some snap caps and practice dry firing it and google rifle shooting techniques. Ton's of stuff out there to help you.

With a little homework, I am sure you will get your grouping down to MOA at least. The biggest factor to shooting is human error. Read up on rifle shooting. Once you get your form and personal control down, you can start combining it with hand loads and then you will be into the groove so to speak.

Last edited:
It is true that some rifles like the heavier bullet. I have seen a few 3006 that love the 180 but have not seen many 270'sthat like the 150 better. Either way an island deer is going down at 100 yards with a 2 inch group.

Thanks guys i did run a whole box thru her in the fedral 150 grain, was just wanting to see if i could dial it in a little more , the old fella that was giving me tips tried a few of his reloads in my gun and that is what gave the tightest group, 1/2 at 100 yards , he also had a pretty fancy store bought rifle rest.. and im sure inexperience is what was my biggest hampering factor , being tight against the rest with my chest and finding the perfect height rest and slowing down my breathing.. and squezing the trigger not pulling it are going to help me get even more dialed in but like a few of you have stated even a two inch grouping at 100 yards = dead deer

Jeff hitting 1/2" groups is all impressive and all but hitting a 4" circle in off handed situations kills deer. You wont always have a store bought rest to shoot from. Just roll up to the line kneel down and put it down range. Then sit down and try again.bring a stick with you. Place the stick on the barrel stock and pull.
One time in the alpine there was nothing to rest on for a 300 yard 4x4. Buddy got on all fours and had to rest on his butt for the shot. All the island deer you will shoot will be at 50- 100yards and you will most Likely be standing or sitting down just waiting. Practice those shots

Been great watching you get the wonderful affliction of firearms addiction. Nice choice on the Vortex glass. Great product for a 'budget' option.
Next it's time to make your move into the world of restricted goodness! You need yourself a nice 1911, AR-15 and lots of
mags for both to go with your new range membership. Congratulations on becoming an armed citizen rather than an unarmed subject Jeffy! Enjoy your hunts, and all that comes with them.

Back