The One That Got Away - Hunting Story

IronNoggin

So yesterday found me and my Pup moping about the house - gazing out across the Valley as the rain volume increased steadily, and the wind began to think about really winding up the turbines. No Way I'm headed to the River in that crap! Even though this might be the last few hours before she blows out, I simply do not like donning a Dry-Suit and dragging a heavy anchor around to keep me dry, and tagged to the ground.

What to do... bored... Hmmm...

Well I do know that the local Island deer will generally move out of the timber when this type of weather intrudes. Seems they are rather easy pickings for any predator that is capable of a sneaky approach in the rough, so they know it is often a better option to get a little clear sighting range around them. Hmmm...

Pup suggests We Go Now! I ain't hard to convince as he drags my shell belt and then his leash to the front door.

Load up the truck, and head off into the hills. Lots of branches and leaves litter the roads, swirling around in the wind tunnel. No-one about, not overly surprising even though it is a weekend.

One of my Buddies had recently seen a Biggie near the top of a local mountain, so we set our sights on that distant peak, wondering how close the truck could even get, and prepared for a bit of a hike in the ugly to get to where the highest clear-cut is. The trail wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although it was threatening to become a river in a few places. Despite two-wheel drive, the little truck crept along nicely, and we made our way slowly up towards the chosen area...

When we got to the point it was more than obvious the truck couldn't make it any farther (looked more like a job for a mule</u> than a vehicle!) we eased out, and wandered off up towards the area that buck should be in. Got there after 45 minutes or so of climbing, and settled in for a watch. Rain running off the ballcap, my nose, the rifle and the pup (who thankfully doesn't even seem to notice sky-water) sitting patiently beside me, both of us scanning the edges of timber surrounding the cut. An hour goes by. Another. Mind drifts off to other hunts, the season's fish and fun, and soon the sky starts to darken. Nightfall will be upon us shortly. Although we might see the one we're are after closer to dark, in the interest of finding the truck while we can still see it, the decision was made to extract. The downhill stroll was uneventful, taking about 1/2 the time it did to get up there. Twilight coming soon, we began the slow crawl down the mountain, being ever so careful not to slip off the edges - in places several hundred feet in depth.

Rounding one corner, a movement on the high side, approaching the road? Huh?
Shut down the truck just as Mr. Wonderful struts quickly across the road at 250 yards! Woosh! He's a Good One! :wow:
Obviously has no idea we are there, and he begins to feed a dozen or so yards away from the road on the downhill side. Heheheheheh... Mistake! [}:)]

I tell the Pup to sit quiet now, and he grins his consent. Slipping quietly out the door, I begin a painstaking *****-foot approach, constantly keeping a good screen of bush between me and the quarry as I do so. Peeking from time to time, I can just so see the tips of the antlers above the brush when the buck checks his surroundings. Nope, still hasn't caught on! Looking Good!

Ever so slowly I cut the distance. Extreme care now not to make ANY noise, and every sense on Full Red Alert. Then my ears pick up the sound of a distant rumble? What?? Hadn't seen any sign anyone else had entered this block? OMG! It is a truck, running FAST for both the sketchy trail and poor weather! Too Fast!! Suddenly the truck rounds the corner from a tiny decommissioned spur trail, bearing down on me at 45 miles an hour! Surely this MadMan will see me, recognize what I'm up too, and simply pass. Surely...

NOT! Hillbilly that's driving has a rifle barrel out the window, and a beer in his hand. What? Seeing me he SLAMS on the brakes, sliding to a stop mere inches from my toes! The pitbull in the back of his truck lights up HARD (What are we stoppin' for Boss?) seeing me, the dog goes BALLISTIC! I frantically look in the direction of the buck, who is now beating the hastiest retreat ever seen into the thick. DAMMIT! Now my Pup perceives the pitbull as a threat to me, and also joins in the deafening roar. JuHeeZuz!

Hey Buddy says the NutBar, whattaya say we let the dogs get to know each other? What?? [?]
Not wanting this Fool to know what was on this mountain, I simply told him You just blew off a two point for me - only buck we've seen all day. I'm not too damn happy with you right now. Way it goes he says, now what about letting the dogs mix it up a little? That's IT! I SNAP! Control your dog I cry, he gets out of your truck (in the open back, not tied down) we are going to have a MAJOR problem! Hey buddy, settle down says he. I AIN'T your Buddy, and I STRONGLY suggest you wander off my reply. Eff You was his retort, and he spun all four, kicking gravel all over me and my truck as he departed, his hound literally screaming every inch of the way down the hill.

Man-O-Man! Some days!! Shaking my head, I wander back down to the waiting Pup. Settle in, and slowly maneuver down the mountain towards home. Now the rain increases intensity to the point the wipers simply cannot keep up. Slow drive home. Disappointed at first, I slowly rationalized away the experience. The Idjut doesn't know of the Biggie. I do. If we had taken him then, it would have meant cleaning and extracting well into dark. In the driving rain. Tomorrow (today!) is another day. The buck will still be there. The hunting adventure can continue... OK, not all bad.

So, now sitting watching the rain pour down over the Valley... Bored...
Wondering if the buck will come back tonight.
Thinking he likely will.
Hoping the Hillbilly finds another mountain to terrorize.
Hoping the trail doesn't wash out.
Getting the gear ready while the pup paces.
The Biggie got away yesterday.
Today is another day...

And on it goes...

Cheers,
Nog

Good story Nog, well, well written for sure.
The outcome could have been better.
Did you get the dudes license #?

That's where I'd start and track down who he is from there.
Good to know in case there's a 'next-time'. Too many wing-nuts out there and if things go sideways you just don't know.

I think this Buck has your name on it.

Good Luck!

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Thanks for the kind words Gentz. Easy to write it down when it happened just like that...

quote:Originally posted by Little Hawk

..Did you get the dudes license #?

I was far too busy keeping a sharp eye on both the aggressive dog and it's owner to even think of getting the tag number. And when he left, I was busy ducking the hail-storm of gravel he threw for 80 yards plus to even get a glimpse. But I WILL</u> recognize that rig when I see it next, and will definitely be collecting that. Methinks the local CO might be just a tad interested [}:)]

Had just a brief glimpse of the Biggie again just at dark last night - no chance to capitalize. But Boogs did fetch up his very first grouse! Man was he ever proud! :D

Back up in the dark again this am. Driving rain and heavy winds. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING</u> moved except me and a very wet pooch! At least the HillBilly appears to have moved on...

Ran into the Timber Boyz on the way out. They're commencing slash burning up there as of today. Dammit! That ol' buck ain't going to hang around much for that! Back to the drawing board to try and figure where he'll land this time...
1.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Back