My First Black Bear

SerengetiGuide

Hey guys,

So this past week saw an exciting few days of hunting for me. Had Chris David and his cameraman and new friend of mine Mike up for a few days of hunting here in BC for black bear. All on camera as well. We had some great hunting, I was able to take my very first black bear...odd considering I live on the island where massive bears are common, and actually got my Grizzly before my Black. Well worth the wait though, my bear went 7ft 5in and Mike's went 7ft 6in.

We were glassing the many slashes from a nice high spot and after about 10min spotted this monster about 4km away. My dad, who used to assistant guide for black bear out here, said, "get in, its big", so off we went flying through the gravel roads. He knew exactly how we would stalk this one, had to park a few km away and make the stalk...it's always funny how when you are nervous yet excited about a big animal it seems every step there just happens to be a branch that breaks...or so you are thinking in your head. Adrenaline was flowing and we were able to walk up behind this bear to about 50 yards. While we waited for him to turn broadside instead of butt to us, he turned and saw us, my dad said, he's big, take him, so needless to say, nailed him right behind the shoulder, tiny high as I'm used to deer and was unaware until after that bears vitals are actually a few inches lower. He dropped immediately and struggled to get up so I put another one in him causing him to roll into the ditch, then he got into the REALLY THICK shalall (spelling?) and we had to wait him out a bit. I smoked him with two real good shots with a 300 short mag, man this bear was tough.

After a few minutes we noticed he had moved 50 yards off the road and into a tiny meadow so we went in after him with extreme caution...got one more in him through his neck yet he still went another 30 yards and as if saying, if I'm gonna die I'm gonna make your life hell, dropped into a 8ft hole...literally a hole. It took all our might over the next 20min to get that thing out of there. Absolutely exhausted.

It was a great hunt, here are some pictures of my bear and Mike's.

nice bear!! i took my first earlier this month too.
If you are thinking of getting it rugged i sent mine to a guy in kelowna. pm me if you want details

I'll ignore the tree hugger.

And we are going to get it full body mounted. Quite the specimen for my first bear so no better way to get it done than full body I think. Mike's skull green was over 21" and mine although done quickly was high 20's.

Nice kill.... I wanted to get one myself this year. Going to have to be next year though.

Bets there's going to be some good treats to be had on the water when that sucker is sausaged up.

Thanks for the teaser :)

Way to kill a perfectly good bear sounds like he suffered a lot hope he makes a nice rug cause I know they taste like ****

Too bad you experienced a bad bear for the eating thing. I have only had great tasting ones in the past. They make excellent sausages and I have had tenderloins that were to die for. I know a guy that takes the time to make some really great ham's out of the hind ends. Oh yeah they make great rug's too.

Congrats SG on your first bear. Here's to some more in the future :).

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
The big ones are breeders, why did you kill it? They should have a slot size on them to protect the stock and keep the season open longer.

Haha but actually that's a hog! Nice work.

This forum is all about opinions if everyone kept them to themselves it would be quite boring don't you think?

I haven't really ever hunted I think some aspects I would like but some not so much. Good story up until the part about shooting the bear 8 times. It's not about the poor bear suffering I just think its a cheap way to hunt.

Somebody tell a story about hunting with a bow.

. Good story up until the part about shooting the bear 8 times. It's not about the poor bear suffering I just think its a cheap way to hunt

Somebody tell a story about hunting with a bow.

8 times?? I count a max of 5....depending what was meant by 2 of the shots as I read. Could be 3....could be 5. Rifles are a cheap way to hunt? Are down riggers a cheap way to fish?

3 shots. And a bow makes an animal suffer 10x more than a rifle...most of the time anyway. And the reason I hit him again was to ensure he didn't suffer. My first shot would of done him in.

Are down riggers a cheap way to fish?

Sure they are lol :D. Don't even try to get in the head of the emotionally charged fisherman/non hunter:rolleyes:. You will drive yourself crazy lol:p.

That is a good example Pip. I wonder how the poster feels about using them as he pointed out the archery thing. Probably cams, fiber optic sites, and lume knocks are ok lol. (I'm a trad type of guy when it comes to archery by the way).

I like bear meat! Never cared for bear hunting but not against it. Nice bear and congrats on your first! :)

Good work what was his length?? and yes bears are a tough animal but next time go to the supermarket where the meat is wrapped is saran and killed humanly !!!!!
I say this as I take out a moose roast that took 3 shots to down.....

Wolf

Congratulations! Nice Bear.

Back woods black bears are very tasty and healthy protein, not being full of cholesterol, artificial hormones, antibiotics or nasty bacteria if you take care of it right and BC has very healthy Black Bear populations. You won’t be getting your bear hamburger recalled because some child got sick or died.

Perhaps our new member would be happier getting naked, painting his nipples green and dancing around some downtown Vancouver intersection with the Peta girls. PS - they don't like fishing either.

Should he have shot it once and let it create a trail of destruction behind in its path?

I keep shooting until the bear is finished. Bears have slow heart rates. Ive scene them make 300 yds with a hole in their heart!

Good job Dave! Cheers!

I have read that large males bears will kill the cubs in their territory given the chance. So maybe taking a large male could save some cubs. Lots of views on hunting.

Back