Is non feed back steering required ?

Slabbedout

I am swapping out the rotary helm and cable on my 16’ welded boat, motor is a 40hp yammie 4 stroke. My steering cable must have had a small crack or slice allowing water to intrude and slowly seize the cable and damage the helm over several years. My research shows that a non feed back helm is superior to a standard helm because it reduces the push/ pull of the movement and torque from outboard at the steering wheel and helps the boat stay straight. I am wondering if the non feed back is only really a noticeable improvement on larger boats with larger hp? I think the helm I have is not a non feed back and seemed to be good ( maybe because the steering was always partially seized ?) Just curious thoughts and if a non feed back helm is required or recommended. How would I know if the existing helm was a non feed back or just regular since it has no #s on it ?

if you try to move the engine by hand side to side and you can move it, it is not a NFB helm.
with those small engines it really does not matter

I just installed a Seastar/(Dometic) no feed back helm rack and pinion system. After much research and emails to Dometic the NFB system was recommended for my application. I have an I/O (302 ford with a 270 volvo penta drive) with no power steering or power assist. According to the specs this will assist in reducing the strain on the wheel from the torque of the prop.
I haven't had the boat in the water yet to try it out so can't comment yet on how it all works. The wheel sure turns smoothly though.

I installed this hydraulic steering last year and haven’t had any issues. It’s not the favorite in North America but it’s the norm in Europe and gets great reviews. And like half the price of seastar so worth a shot. It’s awesome not having to fight the steering and can leave the motor straight while trimmed up. So no complaints so far.

Attachments

• 3634F2E1-E95B-4C95-B1A7-01B888425E9F.png
    3634F2E1-E95B-4C95-B1A7-01B888425E9F.png
    310.6 KB · Views: 46
my last boat was a Campion 165. before i got the NFB steering helm it was impossible to fish by my self. i would lean over to check the rod or whatever and my weight shift (220lb) would steer the entire boat and actually send it hard over in that direction. got the new helm and it was a total game changer

should add the main was a 90 hp yammy four stroke

my last boat was a Campion 165. before i got the NFB steering helm it was impossible to fish by my self. i would lean over to check the rod or whatever and my weight shift (220lb) would steer the entire boat and actually send it hard over in that direction. got the new helm and it was a total game changer

This is exactly why I am leaning towards the Non feed back helm. I have been told by several people that basically the nfb is not noticeable at trolling speeds, and that I should only get it if I notice the boat pulling at high speed ?

It just sucks to have the boat do a hard turn while you are at the stern dealing with gear

some of the old helms came with a set screw.. old school!

I am swapping out the rotary helm and cable on my 16’ welded boat, motor is a 40hp yammie 4 stroke. My steering cable must have had a small crack or slice allowing water to intrude and slowly seize the cable and damage the helm over several years. My research shows that a non feed back helm is superior to a standard helm because it reduces the push/ pull of the movement and torque from outboard at the steering wheel and helps the boat stay straight. I am wondering if the non feed back is only really a noticeable improvement on larger boats with larger hp? I think the helm I have is not a non feed back and seemed to be good ( maybe because the steering was always partially seized ?) Just curious thoughts and if a non feed back helm is required or recommended. How would I know if the existing helm was a non feed back or just regular since it has no #s on it ?
I have a 25hp Merc on 16ft tin boat with a tiny console and am glad I bought a Seastar NFB helm for it.
Less spillage:)

Ok another question

Any disadvantages to going with the non feed back ? I can get either for basically the same price. I am only leaning towards the non feed back in hopes of it eliminating the boat wandering at trolling speeds. My gut feeling is that a more basic system in a salt environment will be less hassle though.

Ok another question

Any disadvantages to going with the non feed back ? I can get either for basically the same price. I am only leaning towards the non feed back in hopes of it eliminating the boat wandering at trolling speeds. My gut feeling is that a more basic system in a salt environment will be less hassle though.
This falls into the realm of my opinion,
Others may disagree, but if you have room for a NFB rack as opposed to a rotary helm they are far more robust and easier to lubricate (in my opinion)
You don’t need NFB, there are guidelines on HP ratings for steering applications. I like NFB for piece of mind and they are no more prone to failure or corrosion than any type of steering system. Another consideration is the weight of your outboard.

Honestly NFB is better, and weighs relatively the same and should be lubricated at least yearly like any moving parts.

Hope that helps

Ok another question

boat will still wander at trolling speeds

I haven’t had any wandering issues?

Attachments

• C4434378-6895-4A95-8E04-BCFF3B0EBC7D.png
    C4434378-6895-4A95-8E04-BCFF3B0EBC7D.png
    961.9 KB · Views: 25
I installed this hydraulic steering last year and haven’t had any issues. It’s not the favorite in North America but it’s the norm in Europe and gets great reviews. And like half the price of seastar so worth a shot. It’s awesome not having to fight the steering and can leave the motor straight while trimmed up. So no complaints so far.

Would these work on kickers?

Back