Inboard or Outboard?

Dencope

Hi Guys,

I'm looking into a new boat 17-23 foot range and have heard several different opinions on inboards vs. outboards. Everyone who has an inboard or selling is selling one has nothing but good to say but guys with outboards often say they would never own an inboard. Obviously everyone has their own opinion and there are pros and cons to each but I was just hoping to stir up some conversation by experienced owners/users.

Also is there certain outboards (make/year), inboard engines or legs I should stay away from due to know issues.

Thanks in advance for any info, appreciated.

For the size range you've mentioned I voted for the outboard. The outboard gives you more cockpit room, can be tilted out of the water when moored, and they are generally very reliable (new four-strokes specifically).

What are you using the boat for? Where?

Why not look at the inboard direct drive option. Shamrock diesel or similar very good economy and less maintenance win win really.

There both the same there is your answer I have had both. Both has strengths both have weaknesses. Many people that don't like inboards never had one. I am not going on into the long debate again...But truthfully depends on your boat finances etc. I like the ride on inboards better. That's my preference.

Each one needs maintenance. My current one is inboard and I will be re powering with another inboard not podding it... Made that choice early this year.

There is no use polling it...You will get a ton of guys that never had one claiming outboards is best... And vise versa. One thing I will say its a little bit of learning curve.... I think there both the same.

A actually prefer doghouse in my boat..... Like I said each one has negatives just depends on preference... I have a 3.0 4cyl mercruiser on my 18 ft malibu and it's very economical...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go I/O just make sure you stay with either the mercruiser or a volvo penta. DON'T do anything crazy and get an OMC or BMW or Yamaha or some other brand that stopped being produced years ago. Good luck on finding parts and service for those.
Same with outboards. Stick with the common ones . Yamaha, Suzuki, Evinrude, Mercury. Stay away from the Force, Mariner or some other old beast.

If you go I/O just make sure you stay with either the mercruiser or a volvo penta. DON'T do anything crazy and get an OMC or BMW or Yamaha or some other brand that stopped being produced years ago. Good luck on finding parts and service for those.
Same with outboards. Stick with the common ones . Yamaha, Suzuki, Evinrude, Mercury. Stay away from the Force, Mariner or some other old beast.
Outboard all the way and yes....Merc, Yamaha, Suzuki
I/O can give you a lot of grief with the leg and seals.

Some people have good luck with inboards and think they are great. I personally didnt so now I have an outboard and I will never go back. Boats with inboards seem to be less expensive so you may be able to get more boat for your money if you go that route.

new inboard crate engine for 350 is about $4500 new yammy same hp about $23,000 grand simple math to me....basic looking after it is easy alot of old 350 thats are 30 years old out there still running....

Ever hear I am pulling this old outboard and installing a new inboard?

Enough said :D

Wolf, a crate engine is only part of the "drive train" you're not including the leg, which is included with an outboard.

I prefer an outboard for two main reasons, inboards have more potential for fires due to fumes in the bilge and I have a hard time trusting the rubber bellows on an inboard leg to keep the water out.

new inboard crate engine for 350 is about $4500 new yammy same hp about $23,000 grand simple math to me....basic looking after it is easy alot of old 350 thats are 30 years old out there still running....

Why are you bothering? Roy you need to listen to everyone haven't you learned on this forum? You should take your engine off now along with all of us because these guys say so... your boat is crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
As it's been said already..there are chevy guys and there are ford guys..
Imo and ive had both...inboards are my favorite. .fresh water cooled and simple easy to work on.
As wolf said engine goes and cheap to replace even with leg..
Dont think you hear of many "Duel Prop outboards":rolleyes:
Just had a fellow on forum replace his outboard at 800hr because he didnt trust it much any more because of corrosion ..never hear of that on inboard guys doing that with closed cooling..

Just sold a 97 552 Explorer (18yrs old) with closed cooling 4.3ltr alpha 1 leg..both engine and leg never an issue and still running like new

But again..there's chevy guys and then there's ford guys...
Good luck in your quest

There both the same there is your answer I have had both. Both has strengths both have weaknesses. Many people that don't like inboards never had one. I am not going on into the long debate again...But truthfully depends on your boat finances etc. I like the ride on inboards better. That's my preference.

Each one needs maintenance. My current one is inboard and I will be re powering with another inboard not podding it... Made that choice early this year.

There is no use polling it...You will get a ton of guys that never had one claiming outboards is best... And vise versa. One thing I will say its a little bit of learning curve.... I think there both the same.

A actually prefer doghouse in my boat..... Like I said each one has negatives just depends on preference... I have a 3.0 4cyl mercruiser on my 18 ft malibu and it's very economical...

Thanks for the input, sounds like you have a nice boat. I just saw the pole option so I thought I'd throw it in there, thought it may be interesting.

For the size range you've mentioned I voted for the outboard. The outboard gives you more cockpit room, can be tilted out of the water when moored, and they are generally very reliable (new four-strokes specifically).

What are you using the boat for? Where?

Thanks for the input, I never considered getting the leg out of the water. I Just sold a 17' console because it was just a little to small and no cover (have 2 young boys), would definitely like to get out of the elements as I like to fish year round.

Using the boat for mostly fishing, crabbing and prawning. Also taking the family out on weekends. Most my salmon fishing is done on the west coast (Port Renfrew) so I'd like something fairly easy to trailer. All though after this year the fishing is looking better and better on the inside.

ummm what do you think a inboard is?? oh thats right its a 4 stroke.....
and why dont you hear guys saying oh **** after 500 hours my 2007 yammy blew up ...inner cooling plates ..

BOTH engines are good what it comes down to is maintaining them ALL if you run em like you stole them well its going to break I know of a few charter guys with many BLOWN up outboards.
ever hear of an inboard blowing up?? like an outboard does?? catastrophic ring failure or blown up piston shooting thru that alum block....

went back to an inboard as its EASY to work on and not 30 grand to replace ....

enough said....

c91465b3242cefbdbdab26e574187580.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a walk on the dock and check out what all the guides,whale watching,SAR,Police.. are running, they are the ones who depend on having reliable motors

Back