Inboard or Outboard?

Facetious argument to me is more room in the boat. Add the extra length to an inboard that a pod and a big one or two outboards and probably more useable space with an inboard the same overall size. Even with the dog house. Which is handy for me.

I've just hit 875 on my 2008 Volvo Penta 5.0 Duo Prop. Today I had to change my exhaust risers and manifolds for the first time, plus I'm doing my gimbal bearing and bellows because I think it's time they were replaced. That's all the repairs since 2008, Motor has always been serviced annually according to Volvo specs. Moored full time. I think that's kinda reliable! Wish I could say the same about my Yammie kicker, I've put on a NEW power head, 2 power tilt motors, a power tilt switch, plus a new tiller arm.

I my self would take an out board over ib or IO on a smaller boat for the room and the quicker reponse in maneuvering especially in wind and curent and waves. In my experience and out board simply is there right now where inboard seem to lag just a tad and I feel I have more control with an outboard on a smaller boat as you mentioned.

With two young boys being out there with you I would myself run 2 smaller twins or at least a 20-30 hp kicker.
Now on a larger boat such as the 47 foot trawler I AM DREAMING of, well twin diesels just makes better sense pluss with a stand up engine room, routine maintenance and repairs become a joy rather then bending like a pretzel trying to get at anything, especially being out in open water or being pushed towards rocks and debris

Just my 2 cents
Best to you
Jim

There is no right answer to this question, only opinions.
For me, I personally prefer the I/O, for many reasons, not all to do with fishing.
This has been debated lots before, and I gave my two cents in other threads.
If your nice big expensive four stroke outboard craps out on you, can you afford to replace it?

Be interesting to see how many posters have big hours on their own OB or IO and how long most guys are keeping an OB or IO before replacing.

Every once in a while a rec boat blows up and turns into a giant fire ball. Usually when that happens it is a boat with an inboard gas motor. Even if it is a rare event, it is factor in favour of outboards.

ive seen many a fire doesnt matter if its inboard or outboard lack of looking after ones boats ALWAYS results in failure hell a bildge pump ive seen burn down a boat all engines are good if you LOOK AFTER them

I put a new Mercruiser 350(5.7) in my boat in 1997,at the time it cost me $11000 installed taxes in,no leg .I maintained it twice a year with motor and leg oil changes.Last year I finally changed out the leg($3000) not because it failed but corrosion had eaten away at the outer housing.That's 17 years on the motor and it still runs great.Other than the risers that last about 6 years@ $350 each time and 30-40 minutes of my time,I've replaced the starter 2 or 3 times and had the carb rebuilt once.The motor still seems strong but if it fails I can replace it with a long block for $4000 and add all my existing accessories.So for $7000 over 2 years I would have a boat with new power and leg and go another 17 years.Try your math on replacing a 250-300 HP. outboard.

Rock fish,
That's a big stretch in logical thinking! I had run straight shaft gas inboard (single 360 and then twin 440) for 25 years before old age caught up to me and I downsized. Now I have switched over to a gas IO and still no explosion, lucky for me and sad for some I'm still alive. I don't think it's the gas motor that's the problem, people just not paying attention, that the problem. Kinda like guys running in the fog on a GPS without radar, yikes!! That's my 2 cents

Back