Inboard single function vs dual function controls

sixohfour

I understand that most, if not all outboards use dual function controls, a single lever that controls the throttle as well as the gearbox in the outboard engine.

Up until today, I thought that all inboard or stern drive engines had single function controls, a single lever for the throttle and a single lever for the gearbox.

I now see that some inboards and stern drive engines have outboard type dual function controls. What are the pros and cons of the different type of controls for an inboard/stern drive and are there any mechanical criteria for going for one type of control over the other?

Cheers.

single function is far superior. it avoids the issue of jamming the engine into reverse from forward gear rapidly blowing the gearcase. it forces you to think before you just yank that throttle saving you $$$. of course its far slower to react if you have an issue which requires you to jam the boat into reverse.
there is also digital throttle and shift (DTS) which is dual function without the downsides of the dual function mechanicals. it will be shifted by the engine computer so jamming it into reverse is not an issue any longer. if you have an option go DTS.

Single function being the typical inboard control, correct?

I would have thought the opposite would be better as the dual function controls typically found on outboards decrease the throttle and go through neutral as you move the lever aft. The single function controls on inboards would be slower (throttle down, then change gears with other lever), but more chance of grabbing the wrong lever if in a panic or rookie at the helm.

DTS sounds good, but requires a more modern inboard engine with computer, which is not always an option when buying used.

I have done installs where we used single function ( twin lever ) controls where we were doing dual control stations on outboard powered boats and sterndrive powered boats, however I have never recommended this. Only time I ever did it was when the customer just had to have it. Its very dangerous. Not so much if your running a gear such as a Borg warner or Twin Disc, but alpha sterndrives and outboards use a clutch dog on the propshaft, while bravos and volvos use a cone clutch. Either way they cannot take being shifted at 1000 RPM or up. Will damage gear set and clutch dog and wear out cone clutches.

DTS is ok.. I dunno. Never ever been a fan of electronic steering or controls in a boat personally as a marine mechanic and captain. Airplanes and boats... should be fail safe. Cant get out and walk!

Personally my favorite controls are Hynautic. Have a look into them. Bullet proof really

Thanks Wescan, good to know. I was surprised to see outboard type dual function controls on a Volvo powered stern drive that I am interested in.

Back