Inboard or Outboard? Which to you preffer and why.

Birdsnest

Just interested in seeing others opinions out there. Myself I am an outboard preferer hands down. Easy to fix, easy to replace, space saver, money saver. And they never cause inboard explosions from gas fumes which I am afraid of.

Outboard all the way! Easier to maintain, easier access to work on. Lighter weight. The legs are usually the weakest link and need more frequent repairs and maintenance, and can lead to leakage issues with bellows wearing out, don't take up valuable cockpit space, the list goes on.... With fuel efficient, four stroke outboards up to 350 HP why bother with inboard/outboards at all. My 2 bits.

Outboard all the way! Easier to maintain, easier access to work on. Lighter weight. The legs are usually the weakest link and need more frequent repairs and maintenance, and can lead to leakage issues with bellows wearing out, don't take up valuable cockpit space, the list goes on.... With fuel efficient, four stroke outboards up to 350 HP why bother with inboard/outboards at all. My 2 bits.

Another vote for outboards on smaller, rec. boats. (except for some dedicated ski boats)
Putting a stern-drive motor in a small boat bilge was always a bad idea. I used to hate maintenance on the sterndrive - esp. oil & filter changes. With new outboard technology, I can't think of a good reason for going with a stern-drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't quite get why outboards are many's choice...maybe their pockets are deeper than mine (probably haha) but I sent an email recently to someone asking what I thought about inboard over outboard...

".....[cost] is pretty much the deciding factor for me. Twin power, although ideal offshore, costs a goddamn fortune. And they are pretty much impossible to maintain yourself in the garage, let alone on the water (2 strokes are a little easier but who runs 2’s these days?)...whereas with a mercruiser, you can trouble shoot ect ect. On top of that, for about 600 bucks you can get the mercruiser diagnostic program so you can trouble shoot your EFI system, should any problems come up. As well new inboards have so many safety options...I think the computer will power down to as low as 15% if the motor has a failure and it needs to limp home. Unlike an outboard that says something’s wrong when a piston blows through the hood!

Speaking of working on the motor, I’d much rather diagnose and hopefully repair a problem on the water from INSIDE of my boat, rather than hanging onto the transom, or literally humping the outboard just to keep dry and ‘somewhat’ safe. Yes outboards free up deck space by removing the doghouse, but at the same time you eliminate the option of a swimgrid (which in the case of my boat, has more sq footage than the doghouse occupies so I’m actually GAINING space). Finding parts??? Hell even the local gas station might have Mercruiser parts! Lol. The main parts have been more or less the same for the last 20 years. Finding that new Yamaha or Honda outboard part in a pinch? I wouldn’t be as confident as I would a Mercruiser (or similar) part.

Back to the costs of things. 20 grand buys a lot of stuff. If offshore safety is a concern. You can buy a Viking raft, Satalite phone, GPS Tracker ERIPs ect ect and still have 10k left over for two seasons of fuel for the inboard.

The technical aspect of twins...you lose 30% of your power (300 in twins will perform similar to a 225 single)...you also spend 30% more on fuel when running a twin. Maintenance is double that of a single, obviously.
The leg of your inboard is easily replaceable, you can even carry a spare at the dock. Blow up the original during the morning bite, and be back on the water for the night bite, so long as you have a socket wrench and a screwdriver.

There are far to many variables involved that would make me go to twins. If money was no option I would consider it, but even then I would have to think hard about the abundance of positives to an inboard engine. I didn’t even get into running a hot water shower or other cool gadgets from your inboard cooling system..the doghouse makes for a great table for lunch, cutting bait...ect too. It seems endless the benefits.

At least thats where I stand on the subject. Everyone says outboard outboard!! But I don’t they really consider just how great inboards can be. Don’t forget you can turn a bigger prop with an inboard leg to, more torque or haul if you need it on those heavy 10 day trips!!

What can I say, I’m sold on an inboard motor."

The only downside is a big key-hole in the transom, and a little worse fuel economy, but again, the extra 20k buys a lot of fuel.

There are pro and cons to both. Inboard cheaper and easier to fix. Outboard lighter and maybe more reliable? Anyways as we can all see everyone has there personal preference, I like outboards for winter use nothing to winterize but the inboard guy will say he like the inboard for the heater so it's a toss up.

""(2 strokes are a little easier but who runs 2’s these days?)...""

I run a 29ft Hourston with twin 135 hp optimax's burning 10 gals/hr passing all the other boats thru the heavy ****

Wow FB, I get to debunk just about every statement you made about inboard vs outboard! lol.

is pretty much the deciding factor for me. Twin power, although ideal offshore, costs a goddamn fortune. And they are pretty much impossible to maintain yourself in the garage, let alone on the water (2 strokes are a little easier but who runs 2’s these days?)...whereas with a mercruiser, you can trouble shoot ect ect. On top of that, for about 600 bucks you can get the mercruiser diagnostic program so you can trouble shoot your EFI system, should any problems come up. As well new inboards have so many safety options...I think the computer will power down to as low as 15% if the motor has a failure and it needs to limp home. Unlike an outboard that says something’s wrong when a piston blows through the hood!

Outboards are actually easier to maintain than inboards. The motors are hanging off the back of the boat with unrestricted access for maintenance and repairs. Maintenance on an outboard consists of changing gear oil, checking and greasing prop shaft, drive shaft and linkages, replacing plugs and fuel filter plus oil changes on 4-strokes. Pretty much exactly the same as on an inboard except the outboards are easier to access! Oh yeah, inboards need their risers and bellows replaced periodically as well.

Also, the vast majority of outboards made after 1995 have a built in feature to slow the motor down in the case of an error code on the computer. OMC called it S.L.O.W. back in the 90's but there are many variants. The newer the outboard the more of these safety features that are in place.

Speaking of working on the motor, I’d much rather diagnose and hopefully repair a problem on the water from INSIDE of my boat, rather than hanging onto the transom, or literally humping the outboard just to keep dry and ‘somewhat’ safe. Yes outboards free up deck space by removing the doghouse, but at the same time you eliminate the option of a swimgrid (which in the case of my boat, has more sq footage than the doghouse occupies so I’m actually GAINING space). Finding parts??? Hell even the local gas station might have Mercruiser parts! Lol. The main parts have been more or less the same for the last 20 years. Finding that new Yamaha or Honda outboard part in a pinch? I wouldn’t be as confident as I would a Mercruiser (or similar) part.

Outboards can be mounted on a combo pod-swim grid. As for repairs on the water, I've had to do many. You're forgetting that an outboard will tilt up all the way so you have direct access to the powerhead from the back on the boat. At least that's how it is on a typical runabout. Might be more difficult on a pod. You're right about the parts but luckily there are marine parts dealers around most docks but not all. I can't really think of a specific part that might easily fail and be replaced that would make the case for an inboard over an outboard.

The technical aspect of twins...you lose 30% of your power (300 in twins will perform similar to a 225 single)...you also spend 30% more on fuel when running a twin. Maintenance is double that of a single, obviously.
The leg of your inboard is easily replaceable, you can even carry a spare at the dock. Blow up the original during the morning bite, and be back on the water for the night bite, so long as you have a socket wrench and a screwdriver.

The 30% power and fuel consumption difference with twins is wrong. As one example, performance tests on a Gulfstream 232 with Yamaha outboards showed 9% more fuel consumption with twins and better performance with twins compared to single engine.

Single 300hp 4-stroke:
Best fuel economy: 2.33 MPG at 29.3 mph. Top speed 43.8 MPH.

Twin 150hp 4-stroke:
Best fuel economy: 2.12 MPG at 33.1 mph. Top speed 45.4 MPH.
Source: http://gradywhite.com/232/performance_data/

As for upfront cost, you are absolutely right inboards are less expensive than outboards, single or twin. And yes, inboards with FWC provide additional benefits like hot water heating etc. But most of the other variables are actually in favor of the outboards.

As you can see I'm an outboard guy..in fact I run two strokes! ;)

Cheers

I too run a 2 stroke. A 200 optimax because it has good fuel economy and is quickly and easily diagnosed/repaired. Tried, trued and tested. But this will likely be the last 2 stroke I own. I do carry a spare coil for it because during the recession they put out faulty coils so it is a common break down. I have replaced 3 in 7 years but since the new batch came out I have had no problems. I still carry one though and can change it off shore. A compressor replacement...not so much. thats a slow ride home on the kicker.

Another thing about the outboard is that I can switch motors quickly and efficiently if I have to and I do get new motors every 2-3 years. The labor on switching a inboard is staggering in comparison. I do put around 500 hours on a motor in a year.

I am inboard guy. I have seen to many inboards with far FAR too excessive expenses for repairs.

I do think my opti is a noisy smoky stinky motor though and I look farward to running a verado now that they have been around for a while and I do not have to be a reasearch project for mercury.

Wow FB, I get to debunk just about every statement you made about inboard vs outboard! lol.

As you can see I'm an outboard guy..in fact I run two strokes! ;)

Cheers

Haha, I'm never one to be embarrassed about being wrong with info, how else does someone learn?? I knows what I knows until someone knows more! BUT I would still go with inboard after all of that.

Pulling an inboard isn't too hard. I did mine (first time ever) in under 1.5 hours. Pulled a 5.0L out of a Bayliner two weeks ago, pressed in new rear mounts (they were blown out), motor out, repaired, and back in in under 2.5hrs.

The right over-head hoist does help with that though ;)

anyways...I thought you were too busy working to be debunking me like crazy TS!? haha...lets help keep the beer companies in business sometime this week if your free...

Haha..yeah, I am still super busy. I've got to stop opening this damn site.

Beers sound good as always. I've got some parts to contribute to your boat project next time we meet up.

Cheers

Outboards are marine engines. Inboards are Chevy/Ford notion of what a marine engine might be like. When you need to buy a $50 gadget just to change your oil, that might be a sign that your engine is not well suited to being dropped into the bilge of a small boat. Removing or charging batteries, how much fun is that??

Outboards are marine engines. Inboards are Chevy/Ford notion of what a marine engine might be like. When you need to buy a $50 gadget just to change your oil, that might be a sign that your engine is not well suited to being dropped into the bilge of a small boat. Removing or charging batteries, how much fun is that??

Ummm!Marine inboards use a chevy, ford...block and cylinder heads. After that the parts are marine, made to be used under heavy loads for extended periods.Yep you can put a normal car engine in but it wont last, just like 2002-2005 225 Yammi's! I sure liked working on my inboards more than the 225 optimax I had. The price of parts for outboards is scary, not that inboards are and much better though. With todays modern inboards and outboards they are extremely reliable and it come down to personal preference

What is the scariest thing on a boat? FIRE & EXPLOSION I've seen many I/O's go kaboom and the boat burnt to the waterline...never seen that with an outboard.

Regular maintenance and inspections of fuel lines and such, and the use of marine grade starters and alternators will keep your I/O boat from going boom. Also, the use of the blower.
I prefer my 3.0 I/O because its simple, and easy to work on, which makes it simple to trouble shoot. It is very reliable.
The main thing for me is cost. A newer outboard is a lot of money, worth it, but too much for me. I can't have 15 grand tied up on just power. With that said, If cost wasn't an issue, i think I'd go with a new outboard.

Consider lifetime cost and outboards aren't as expensive as you think. Maintenance and repair costs for inboards - especially the labour component - are higher and bring the lower upfront cost into perspective.

Back