Motors to avoid. And why?

I have a 2000 evinrude ficht 150 v6 2 stroke. Been running it for 4 seasons now and it hasn't had a problem. Knock on wood. Gets virtually the same mileage as my friends yamaha 150 4 stroke and way more snap. New plugs every other season and good to go.
They all have problems. They all have lemons. But consider yourself lucky haha. Do you mix gas or no?

The 2003-2006 Yamaha issue is not just the exhaust corrosion. It also has an inherent problem in the block where the thermostat is located. That area tends to corrode and rust thru the block. Not fixable unless you wanna buy a new block. All the flushing in the world doesn't seem to reduce the risk of it corroding

Last edited:
I have a 2000 evinrude ficht 150 v6 2 stroke. Been running it for 4 seasons now and it hasn't had a problem. Knock on wood. Gets virtually the same mileage as my friends yamaha 150 4 stroke and way more snap. New plugs every other season and good to go.
Plenty of others like yours that are running well. Treat it like a sports car and spare no expense on top quality fuel, oil and parts, lavish maintenance time on it. Get the factory service manual and follow its guidance.

The problems with VRO failures happened with two model years in the mid 80s and were long solved by 2000. Keep the oil injection system at factory spec as it reduces oil ratio at lower rpm to prevent plug fouling. This means less oil consumed and cleaner, smoother running at idle and low speeds around the dock.

Back