Motors to avoid. And why?

ChilliSpoons

It’s likely that I’ll be buying a used boat within the next 12 months. There are a lot of opinions and experiences in regards to which outboard motors to avoid. Which years motors between 90 - 200hp should I avoid and why? I’m only interested in 4 stroke motors.

I hear Yamaha engines between 2004-6 had corrosion issues? Fact or fiction? Resolved?

Evinrude? Ficht? Problem?

Last edited:
It’s likely that I’ll be buying a used boat within the next 12 months. There are a lot of opinions and experiences in regards to which outboard motors to avoid. Which years motors between 90 - 200hp should I avoid and why? I’m only interested in 4 stroke motors.

I hear Yamaha engines between 2004-6 had corrosion issues? Fact or fiction? Resolved?

Evinrude ficht? Problem?
Optimax 2006 and above good. Compressor issues from earlier models. These engines are very solid even from 2002 model the first year smartcraft digital compatible (build in 2001). Avoid all yamaha HPDI two strokes and fichts. HPDI injects at 600psi pressure and these fuel pumps are very expensive imagine that pressure its industrial duty that pump is going to fail on you. So people tend to avoid them.

Evinrude etec I would have full confidence in. You were looking at four strokes and yes the yamahas 04-06 had major problems. Yamaha however makes one of the best 4 strokes and suzuki is right at the top. I would go with Yamaha or suzuki personally.

My twin 06 Yamaha F150's have 1600 hours on them and still run perfectly.
Just put $2k worth of fuel thru them up the north coast and back.
I would have a hard time going to anything else

Optimax 2006 and above good. Compressor issues from earlier models. These engines are very solid even from 2002 model the first year smartcraft digital compatible (build in 2001). Avoid all yamaha HPDI two strokes and fichts. HPDI injects at 600psi pressure and these fuel pumps are very expensive imagine that pressure its industrial duty that pump is going to fail on you. So people tend to avoid them.

Evinrude etec I would have full confidence in. You were looking at four strokes and yes the yamahas 04-06 had major problems. Yamaha however makes one of the best 4 strokes and suzuki is right at the top. I would go with Yamaha or suzuki personally.
Those early Opti's also had corrosion issues with the tube from the water pickup in the leg and bolts that held the alternator breaking. Mercury did cover all those issues under warranty though

I would avoid any outboard that has "Force" on the cowling. As I understand it, they were built cheaply, to allow dealer's to sell with boat and trailer combos and keep the price down, especially for first time or price point conscious buyers. Have never heard anything good about them and some call them Force anchors as that is about all they are good for, anchoring your mooring buoy. Still a few around, but I understand have not been made in many years.

I agree, the Optimax are very solid motors.

I have a 2001 225 Opti Salt Water Series and found it to be extremely corrosion resistant because it was actually designed for salt water. My impression of some other well regarded manufactures is that they were designed to last for years in fresh water, but in salt water, not so much. The big Opti has spent its life in salt water marina slips and exposed to salt water and air. The only time in the last 10 years it gets flushed is at the end of the season when the boat is pulled. As far as corrosion goes I have only had one problem with corrosion, which was some corrosion/electrolysis on a small fitting in the bottom of the motor where a hose attaches that carries hot water from the top end. It was brass and corroded, spraying water. Replaced the brass screw in fittings with nylon fittings and problem solved. Something I understand that Merc. upgraded in a future year. I know of other well regarded brands of large outboards that have had a lot more serious corrosion problems that Opti Salt Water Series motors.

I found your info that 2002 model year was the first year that the big Opti's were smartcraft digital compatible interesting. I have always been under the assumption that my motor is a 2001 model year, which I bought it used as on the boat. However, it is hooked up to a smartcraft digital display unit which works perfectly, so perhaps it is actually a 2002 model year.

I understand it still has its original high pressure compressor for the direct injection system, injectors and lift motor, all still running strong and after more than 20 years in the salt. I am surprised I have not yet had to replace them all - touch wood. Overall I have found it to be a very reliable and fuel efficient motor.

Last edited:
Avoid the Evinrude/Johnson Ficht motors
also 6 cylinder Rudes were time bombs.
(probably not many left anyway)

Last edited:
Yamaha Lovers will say Merc and Suzukis Sucks - Merc Lovers will say Yamaha & Suzuki Sucks - Suzuki Lovers will say Merc & Yamaha Sucks.

Not totally certain a forum can really give an honest opinion on what is best.

I love my Yamaha. (Merc & Suzuki suck). ;) (I of course have no real opinion on Merc or Suz.)

(Left out Evinrude as you said only 4 stroke)

Yamaha, Merc and Suzuki are all good reputable Brands. Choose what your favorite dealer sells and supports. Most mechanics will be fluent with these Brands. Parts and service is what you need after you purchase. A few other Brands may be good also but may not be as easy to find good mechanics for. I don't like the look of Honda's and not sure there are a lot of Honda mechanics out there. But that is just by looks. Don't know much about them. Sorry Scott ; )

Yamaha Lovers will say Merc and Suzukis Sucks - Merc Lovers will say Yamaha & Suzuki Sucks - Suzuki Lovers will say Merc & Yamaha Sucks.

Not totally certain a forum can really give an honest opinion on what is best.

I love my Yamaha. (Merc & Suzuki suck). ;) (I of course have no real opinion on Merc or Suz.)

(Left out Evinrude as you said only 4 stroke)
These days i think it comes down to the dealer you're most comfortable dealing with

Yamaha, Merc and Suzuki are all good reputable Brands. Choose what your favorite dealer sells and supports. Most mechanics will be fluent with these Brands. Parts and service is what you need after you purchase. A few other Brands may be good also but may not be as easy to find good mechanics for. I don't like the look of Honda's and not sure there are a lot of Honda mechanics out there. But that is just by looks. Don't know much about them. Sorry Scott ; )

Honda is gone Tips.
Yamaha for past 5 years!

I’m not looking at buying new but looking to avoid a potential time bomb. Ya, any used motor has the potential to fail soon after purchase so it’s always buyer beware but I’m just trying to inform myself on motors with a higher failure rate based on a poor design.

The Dry exhaust issue with Yamaha was primarily on the 2001-2005 F225 model .if you go with the Yamaha do a quick google search of the model and year

I agree, the Optimax are very solid motors.

I have a 2001 225 Opti Salt Water Series and found it to be extremely corrosion resistant because it was actually designed for salt water. My impression of some other well regarded manufactures is that they were designed to last for years in fresh water, but in salt water, not so much. The big Opti has spent its life in salt water marina slips and exposed to salt water and air. The only time in the last 10 years it gets flushed is at the end of the season when the boat is pulled. As far as corrosion goes I have only had one problem with corrosion, which was some corrosion/electrolysis on a small fitting in the bottom of the motor where a hose attaches that carries hot water from the top end. It was brass and corroded, spraying water. Replaced the brass screw in fittings with nylon fittings and problem solved. Something I understand that Merc. upgraded in a future year. I know of other well regarded brands of large outboards that have had a lot more serious corrosion problems that Opti Salt Water Series motors.

I found your info that 2002 model year was the first year that the big Opti's were smartcraft digital compatible interesting. I have always been under the assumption that my motor is a 2001 model year, which I bought it used as on the boat. However, it is hooked up to a smartcraft digital display unit which works perfectly, so perhaps it is actually a 2002 model year.

I understand it still has its original high pressure compressor for the direct injection system, injectors and lift motor, all still running strong and after more than 20 years in the salt. I am surprised I have not yet had to replace them all - touch wood. Overall I have found it to be a very reliable and fuel efficient motor.
Mine was the original compressor but it infact did blow at 729 hours after 20 years. Bearings are tight but the rings melted from trolling I fish a lot so the low idle speed the compressor doesnt get enough oil feed. 200:1 and a fraction of that. So do not troll on these motors.

Mine was the original compressor but it infact did blow at 729 hours after 20 years. Bearings are tight but the rings melted from trolling I fish a lot so the low idle speed the compressor doesnt get enough oil feed. 200:1 and a fraction of that. So do not troll on these motors.
We have a f225 2003 year.
We had our mechanic replace the middle exhaust parts on the motor in 2015. It had only done about 380 hours but was showing some corrosion so we did it as a precaution. Cost $2o00. Yamaha was selling the kit at cost? Approx $1000 from memory
still going good and have 900 hours on it now.

I do my best to avoid trolling on the main. Just never made sense to me. That's why we have a kicker. You can run a printout of the computer memory, and it will tell you a lot of info on the motor's history, including how much time at all the RPM ranges. Given its age I would not be surprised at all if the compressor or lift motor etc. were to go. It is overdue on a 20-year-old motor that gets used every year and does not spend most of its life in a warm garage. The hours on it are not extreme, but years also takes a toll on a motor, seals, corrosion etc. regardless of the hours on it.

I let the Opti warm up for a couple of minutes, or so when it is cold, before booting it to high RPM. I recall when they first came out that there were a few cases of them going boom on bass boats wanting to race back to weigh in during tournaments and starting them and pushing them to extreme high rpm immediately. As a result, I understand Merc stopped production for a short time and re-engineered them, new fuel rails and some other stuff that solved the problem. I would think that most of those very early motors, that needed it, would have been recalled and retro-fitted. Still, I think it is not a bad idea to let them warm up a little before putting the boot to them. True, I suspect of most motors.

Last edited:
I do my best to avoid trolling on the main. Just never made sense to me. That's why we have a kicker. You can run a printout of the computer memory, and it will tell you a lot of info on the motor's history, including how much time at all the RPM ranges. Given its age I would not be surprised at all if the compressor or lift motor etc. were to go. It is overdue on a 20-year-old motor that gets used every year and does not spend most of its life in a warm garage. The hours on it are not extreme, but years also takes a toll on a motor, seals, corrosion etc. regardless of the hours on it.

I let the Opti warm up for a couple of minutes, or so when it is cold, before booting it to high RPM. I recall when they first came out that there were a few cases of them going boom on bass boats wanting to race back to weigh in during tournaments and starting them and pushing them to extreme high rpm immediately. As a result, I understand Merc stopped production for a short time and re-engineered them, new fuel rails and some other stuff that solved the problem. I would think that most of those very early motors, that needed it, would have been recalled and retro-fitted. Still, I think it is not a bad idea to let them warm up a little before putting the boot to them. True, I suspect of most motors.
That is exactly the case if infact you do troll these motors they will burn the compressor. They like to be run hard and they sound so nice mine growls and I run it maybe 20% full throttle. even less. I cruise around 40km/hr top speed 60km/hr. 150hp 2002 optimax and the thing is a beast. I bought a brand new kicker motor and will baby this optimax like no tomorrow. But when its warmed up im laying full throttle down maybe 20-30% of the time and ill back it off.

Back