I Believe In Pod

Looking at the lease returns, thinking about putting some deposits down. I really like the idea of twins, but I don’t know how the boat would handle that amount of weight off the transom. A single merc 300 is 548, the 150 is 470, just thinking out loud here, I’ll shoot a message to DSS and ask him about it. Has anyone seen a 24 monaro with twin 150s? I saw that 24 surfer craft for sale a while ago with twin 150s, similar looking hull design. Any input?

Looking at the lease returns, thinking about putting some deposits down. I really like the idea of twins, but I don’t know how the boat would handle that amount of weight off the transom. A single merc 300 is 548, the 150 is 470, just thinking out loud here, I’ll shoot a message to DSS and ask him about it. Has anyone seen a 24 monaro with twin 150s? I saw that 24 surfer craft for sale a while ago with twin 150s, similar looking hull design. Any input?
I was originally going to go with twin 150 sea pros on my 24 double eagle project but I wanted the simplicity of the single engine with dts controls ( dual helm down the road) half the maintenance costs, and less props to buy lol, and I already have a brand new efi pro kicker so went with a single 300 instead, I know my boat is heavy but I’m not looking for a rocket ship and I removed twin tired 170hp engines so I’m loosing close to 1000lbs,

I did a little digging The sea pro 150s are a re badged merc 135 for the Australian market, they throw a restrictor plate in the intake along with a lower gear ratio of 2.08, they make peak torque at 4250 vs the 3000 of the regular merc 150s

The 300 sea pros make 276 hp at the prop and only 10ft lbs less then the regular 300 (which makes 296hp)

Playing with mercury’s prop selector on there website top end seems about the same

I’ve been meaning to call dss about getting my boat in for its pod over the next 4 weeks but I’m still at work for another week, (3x3 rotation)

So many decisions, where do you live and launch from mostly? I live in Duncan so I’ll be inside more then outside and what’s your boat weigh?

I was originally going to go with twin 150 sea pros on my 24 double eagle project but I wanted the simplicity of the single engine with dts controls ( dual helm down the road) half the maintenance costs, and less props to buy lol, and I already have a brand new efi pro kicker so went with a single 300 instead, I know my boat is heavy but I’m not looking for a rocket ship and I removed twin tired 170hp engines so I’m loosing close to 1000lbs,

I did a little digging The sea pro 150s are a re badged merc 135 for the Australian market, they throw a restrictor plate in the intake along with a lower gear ratio of 2.08, they make peak torque at 4250 vs the 3000 of the regular merc 150s

The 300 sea pros make 276 hp at the prop and only 10ft lbs less then the regular 300 (which makes 296hp)

Playing with mercury’s prop selector on there website top end seems about the same

I’ve been meaning to call dss about getting my boat in for its pod over the next 4 weeks but I’m still at work for another week, (3x3 rotation)

So many decisions, where do you live and launch from mostly? I live in Duncan so I’ll be inside more than outside and what’s your boat weigh?
Yeah so many decisions for sure, I’m in north van, the boat is moored most of the time. The boat is on the inside 99% of the time. I like the sea pro a lot. I think I’m close to 7k with the I/O but now that it’s pulled I’ll be at just under 6 I’m thinking. What are you at in terms of weight?

You could ask HC.

@Bod on forum has a monaro and charters out of it. Might want to shoot him message.

thinking I’m down to 5500 with no engines with all the crap I’ve pulled out, each engine and drive was 750lbs. I need to run it over the scales when I get home
Yeah so many decisions for sure, I’m in north van, the boat is moored most of the time. The boat is on the inside 99% of the time. I like the sea pro a lot. I think I’m close to 7k with the I/O but now that it’s pulled I’ll be at just under 6 I’m thinking. What are you at in terms of weight?

Friends have a 255 they had built new, with twin 150s and won't shut up about how amazing it is. They had a previous 255 that had the vp 320gxi...so they also had IO ptsd and had Monaro build a new one instead of the podventure.

Met with @Brando this morning, talked a bit about design and our plan. Just getting quotes for glass and then it’s game time. Most everything is off the transom, still gotta pull off the kicker and a couple electronics left on the inside.

How’s it going with the podventure…
Did you find anyone to glass the hole?
Or busy chasing college girls 😛

How’s it going with the podventure…
Did you find anyone to glass the hole?
Or busy chasing college girls 😛
I was hoping I could keep flying under the radar damnit. We’re sending one final wtf email to insurance. It keeps looking positive and then “oh well we need to look into it more.” So it definitely hasn’t been the smooth process that it looked like at the beginning. If we don’t get anything from insurance…. Idk what the plan is. Probably cry for a couple weeks. I hope you guys don’t see a 24 monaro hull coming on the market in the spring, the goal is still to complete it for the summer. But this has been a real sh*t show so far.

I was hoping I could keep flying under the radar damnit. We’re sending one final wtf email to insurance. It keeps looking positive and then “oh well we need to look into it more.” So it definitely hasn’t been the smooth process that it looked like at the beginning. If we don’t get anything from insurance…. Idk what the plan is. Probably cry for a couple weeks. I hope you guys don’t see a 24 monaro hull coming on the market in the spring, the goal is still to complete it for the summer. But this has been a real sh*t show so far.
Sorry to hear that,
Lots of cheap running boats around lately…
Maybe you can slap a I/O back in…
Shat
Good Luck

Wait, what? What happened?

We had a scary engine failure this summer, insurance looked like it was going to pull through initially, now it might be a different story. I want to sue really, for some of the things that the adjuster has said. As of now I'm not sure what the plan is if we don't get anything from insurance. I was told from the previous owner of my boat that the engine had a fresh rebuild with only a few hours on it, had the papers for it, but apparently that was kinda bs.

Sorry to hear that,
Lots of cheap running boats around lately…
Maybe you can slap a I/O back in…
Shat
Good Luck
Thanks man, I appreciate it. We didn't have a boat for most of last summer and it really sucked, really hoping we can put something together.

We had a scary engine failure this summer, insurance looked like it was going to pull through initially, now it might be a different story. I want to sue really, for some of the things that the adjuster has said. As of now I'm not sure what the plan is if we don't get anything from insurance. I was told from the previous owner of my boat that the engine had a fresh rebuild with only a few hours on it, had the papers for it, but apparently that was kinda bs.
Brutal

Thanks man, I appreciate it. We didn't have a boat for most of last summer and it really sucked, really hoping we can put something together.
I have a 5.0 l inboard sitting in my yard from my Seasport if that will work. Pm me for more info

I’ve never heard of insurance covering an engine failure. Guess I’m out of touch

I’ve never heard of insurance covering an engine failure. Guess I’m out of touch
Oddly enough some of them are covered. Depends on your policy and what causes the failure. I know multiple guys with new powerheads covered by insurance (hardly anyone pays for new power heads themselves with the cost being more than half an outboard...). Example: debris covers cooling intakes, engine overheats, block cracks / head warps etc. That one's a standard insurance job.

Last edited:
Back