I Believe In Pod

Maxpri

After my most recent disaster, my I/O is not being saved. I don’t even wanna try. I’m fairly sure I wanna pod instead of just restarting and buying fresh, because I really like the hull, so this is the question, has anyone on here podded a monaro 24? If so who did it? What do you like and what would you do differently? Also interested in other input from similarly sized rigs. I know this question has been asked a hundred times but I’m curious about my hull specifically. Thanks boys, build thread to come.

After my most recent disaster, my I/O is not being saved. I don’t even wanna try. I’m fairly sure I wanna pod instead of just restarting and buying fresh, because I really like the hull, so this is the question, has anyone on here podded a monaro 24? If so who did it? What do you like and what would you do differently? Also interested in other input from similarly sized rigs. I know this question has been asked a hundred times but I’m curious about my hull specifically. Thanks boys, build thread to come.
I think monaro pods boats all the time. Might want to check with them. I think they are still in the service business. They probably got all the specs down to a tee

I would ask @Bod. I seen his in bamfield pretty nice.

I think monaro pods boats all the time. Might want to check with them. I think they are still in the service business. They probably got all the specs down to a tee
Sorry I should have said this in my post, I talked with them but the quote I got was super high because it’s a full fibreglass hull extension, and I would be happy with an aluminum pod.

Sorry I should have said this in my post, I talked with them but the quote I got was super high because it’s a full fibreglass hull extension, and I would be happy with an aluminum pod.
How much?

make sure you use someone that really knows what they are doing building pods. I went out fishing with a friend earlier in the week and he had a newish to him podded 24 foot boat. I felt bad for the guy, the boat rode like total crap and it was calm out. If it was me I'd remove that pod and start again. I'm guessing the previous owner sold the boat because of this but I don't know for sure, I just kept my thought's to myself.

feel free to pm. hulls very similar to other deep v’s and is narrow. The aluminum brackets monaro uses imo are not good just a generic box that’s so short your motor can’t even tilt out of the water no swim grid and no extension of the planing surface. you’ll want a 250-300hp motor that’s going to be the expensive part the pod itself is relatively cheap in comparison.

Welcome to the club. Your going to have a lot of fun with that conversion and probably use your boat way more. I know I was skeptical with conversion but your going to find less time fiddling and more time enjoying it.

A few things I learned was how much crap and wiring you pull out when get rid of inboard. When you pull motor you will see what I mean. I literally ripped out my entire dash and made it way I wanted.

Get a decent pod builder. If your on island I used DSS welding in Duncan. Larry was pretty good. The pod I have has drain for pod abd one for bilge where inboard was. The pod I have is aluminum hull extension follows the bottom of boat and no step. And it should have lots of distance for motors to tilt up fully!

My only suggestion on what I learned was really try and do it right. Rear or remote second station steering is a must. Motor wise I love my suzukis... with a kicker you probably would want to go with a with a 20hp. Hydraulic steering is also must.

Make sure you get the hydraulic remote on kicker. Only thing I sort of missed on mine was a small boarding ladder on pod.

Also once it's podded you may have to shift some of the weight around a bit. It will float different with pod. If you don't have trim tabs install at same time.

Look forward to seeing your build.

Last edited:
80k, wasn’t a fan Sorry I should have said this in my post, I talked with them but the quote I got was super high because it’s a full fibreglass hull extension, and I would be happy with an aluminum pod.
This is just my two tiny cents,
If they make your hull with a hull extension, I would become an industrial spy and do whatever I could to copy it in aluminium. Also the guy who built my pod used 5086 marine aluminum instead of 5052 at his recommendation. A google search will give you a information about the marine aluminum differences. When they build boats they’re built as a large meta structure at the same time so factory glass pods make sense. Adding it 20+ years later not so much. My pod engineering was Russian, I just copied what worked well on the same boat. I did use some basic buoyancy and stability calculations but left the armchair hypothetical hydrodynamic experimentation out of it.
I hope your project goes well

Ps, did not read the answer yet, buuuut Monaro does conversion, and they know their boats, they’ve done lots, so if I was in that situation I would go direct to them

80k, wasn’t a fan of that number for a 24 footer.
Ok at 80k that’s a bit much, power included ???, just went to maple marine for quotes, 300zuke with fbw 40 k, all in, 36 with mechanical control for 36 k, to get it done by November I need to pull the trigger before end of September, not happening for me with that schedule, was going to pull the trigger in late January, that would get the boat ready in June and mine is already podded. Good luck and welcome to the pod crew

Last edited:
Back