hydraulic kicker steering help.

sparrow139

I have a 2014 9.9 mercury prokicker and i am looking at putting in a 2nd helm on the boats transom.

my boat is a 1997 campion 215 i/o with a solid kicker bracket.currently have a ez steer set up.

i have been looking at the baystar hydraulic systems and it does not give alot of info on the smaller outboards like mine…it just says that they will work for 150 hp and lower…

my question is would i need to put a splash well mount ram in? or a side mount ram?

or would i be better off with a cable system?

Does anyone have any pictures on their steering set ups?

thanks

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 276
Generally speaking when people add a 2nd helm it's to a existing system with the 2 motors link together. I have not seen one with the ram on the kicker motor but I'm sure it can be done. The baystar should work for your application but for a system with 2 wheels plumbed together the baystar will not work you will need to use the seastar system for that. The seastar website may help with finding a ram for your kicker

You can add a 2nd helm on the transom like I have but it is best to have it on the same hydraulic circuit as you main and use the main leg as an additional rudder while running on the kicker and you do not want two separate remote steering systems potentially at times fighting each other in terms of steering and you will be able to steer both motors from either helm. If you can make it work I prefer having a permanent mechanical tie to your kicker installed like you already have. It occurs to me this will only work if your main is already on hydraulic steering which is far superior to cable steering systems and if not you may want to install a complete duel Helm system for your main. It will be about 800/900 or so more expensive for a second helm, additional hose, connectors expensive fluid, additional steering wheel etc. less the cost of avoiding buying a 2nd hydraulic ram for the kicker but a far bet system all around. I prefer the permanent mechanical tie to the kicker like you already have if it can be made to work rather than the cost of buying and maintaining an additional hydraulic ram for the kicker but I understand either can usually be done. One possible problem to avoid is having the kicker mounted too close to the main but if your easy steer permanent mechanical connection is working well, that is not a problem for you. There is less potential for mutual interference and other headaches if you have a fair bit of distance between the two/motors/legs especially with outboards.

My duel helm Seastar hydraulic steering system with permanent mechanical kicker connector works flawlessly and because my kicker system is full remote I can be off the main and be on the kicker with the main off and ready to fish in seconds without ever leaving the main helm chair up front. That little option will catch you more fish because you will be starting fishing faster (especially good for the early morning) and can go up on the main faster and change locations faster if a bite which may not last a long time has started somewhere else.

Not sure but you may want to do some research and go with Seastar hydraulic systems which I think is a more modern and better system that Baystar. Not even sure if they make Baystar anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back