Howe Sound Prawning

Successful spring prawning continues to be elusive for me. Beginning to think the bait I am using is funky (or not funky enough). Was doing epic in the winter and then spring came along and boom, nothing with the same set up. Members have given me some good pointers but I'll still only pull up 2 or 3 prawns after a 6 hour soak. Maybe I need to go deeper/shallower/change bait, or sacrifice a goat or something.

Successful spring prawning continues to be elusive for me. Beginning to think the bait I am using is funky (or not funky enough). Was doing epic in the winter and then spring came along and boom, nothing with the same set up. Members have given me some good pointers but I'll still only pull up 2 or 3 prawns after a 6 hour soak. Maybe I need to go deeper/shallower/change bait, or sacrifice a goat or something.
What setups are you running ? Weighted traps ?

What setups are you running ? Weighted traps ?
Same setup that was working well in the winter. I run a variety of traps (round and square metal). Round traps have weights mounted on the inside rim to keep them right way up and still.

Typically my setup will be weighted round trap at the start of the line, square metal trap after about 20' after that, 5-10lb weight clipped to line about 15' after that. Usually have 400'-450' of weighted line in 250-300' of water and then a scotch buoy. If I run a single trap I start the line with a 5-10lb weight, trap, then 5-10lb weight.

Back