April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

I agree many groups don't want anyone fishing except for themselves but there are many groups and many diverging interests. A FN and sport-fishing alliance would be a powerful lobby. I don't even know if it's possible but it may be worth a try. What is currently going on isn't working, but there are models in BC that do work.

I agree 100% about the separatist party
Horgan and Washington State Gov signed agreement in principal and posted funds for LRT systems to move Cascadia forward. Biggest corps on the bandwagon. If we all signed up at once to join the association eyebrows would be raised incl press. it's free to do so. they send info packet etc..etc. Seattle just got an NHL Franchise drooling at the rivalry. I am too old to join up on the FN dating site but I hear there has been a recent surge in Male memberships. We are seeking notice for our cause. En masse sign up in such a high profile well publicized coastal sharing concept I think is worth looking at even if a protest statement.

Last edited:
Agreed, and as I posted earlier in this forum, the FN agenda is to shut the rest of us out from fishing totally - 100%. So, how do we lobby FN, what do we offer in return for being allowed to fish when their stated goal is to shut us down????
I think we all secretly know the only thing that talks? So maybe the Public purchases licenses from the First Nations rather than the current system and DFO disappears, they aren’t doing much for us anyway. Currently FN have a veto and whether we like it or not will use it if it suits them, so in essence they are running the show. Maybe a little cash flow would motivate them to look more favourably at Public Fishery? The Government isn’t going to stand up for us, so time to quit funding them, a scaled down DFO can dedicate itself to commercial fisheries or just fold. Just thinking outside the box.

What's the likelihood of the FNs to let us take a chinook home in areas 28 or 29 after July 15th? Zero?

Id expect the same or worse as last year. The SFAB has made a number of requests but they will probably be ignored.

Agreed, and as I posted earlier in this forum, the FN agenda is to shut the rest of us out from fishing totally - 100%. So, how do we lobby FN, what do we offer in return for being allowed to fish when their stated goal is to shut us down????
Is there a link to this “stated goal to shut us down”?

Id expect the same or worse as last year. The SFAB has made a number of requests but they will probably be ignored.
So the last FN was no retention until further notice. When can we expect a further notice? Like an in season notice or simply waiting until closer to September like last year?

So the last FN was no retention until further notice. When can we expect a further notice? Like an in season notice or simply waiting until closer to September like last year?
Hard to say... Anyone's guess... July 1, 15, Aug. 1, 15, Sep. 1 like last year??? IMHO I think it will be Sep. 1, but I sure hope I am wrong!!!

DFO makes decisions completely the desire of the Prime Minister's Office, based on politics, appealing to their political base, optics and public opinion. Very little to do with science, data and good management. Total BS situation that we need to change before it is too late!

Where’s Horgan in all this? Someone here was claiming he was pro rec fisher when he finally sent a letter to the feds at the last possible moment, since then the support he’s been showing for the rec sector has been non existent.

Last edited:
It's not looking good for the 5/2 Fraser River Springs this year. Hope the other returns are better so we get a fishing season.

DFO's June 17, 2021 report notes:
"The cumulative daily CPUE at Albion during the period of this update (cumulative daily CPUE = 0.31), is well below the historical average (CPUE = 26.2) and is one of the lowest on record for this time period (2020 was the lowest). This is also one of the lowest run size estimates produced by the model since its inception in 2012. It is important to note that input values that are outside of the historical range of observations, like that observed for 2021, typically result in higher uncertainty in the run size estimate produced by the model. The low catch at the test fishery suggests very low abundance for the Spring 5(2) and Summer 5(2) Chinook Salmon returning in 2021, and indicates on-going low productivity for these Management Units."

Historical average CPUE 26.2 to a CPUE of …..31 is a big decline to a fish resource which is already in trouble.

In the Victoria area (19/20), we have been under restriction on catching these 5/2 fish for over 8 years and a total of two different 5/2 fish prawning cycles (I think). In my opinion and others, it is clear that the depletion of fish returns are still happening and it is not from Area 19/20. I’m not a DFO scientist and even I can see the problem of declining 5/2 is happening some where else than area 19/20.

I sure hope the salmon returns are much better and they open salmon fishing up sooner than later. I have 60+ packs of anchovies to use up.

Back