How long will off shore fishing go this year

Derby

Crew Member
Just thought I would Pass along the last report of the season in the top end of the charlotte's- We could be fish right thur the end of Sept. this year :D A bunch of them have to swim bye the WCVI

Hippa Island Fishing Report – August 30th, 2010

As I sit down to write my final in-season report of the 2010 fishing season it is hard to imagine that the season will be over in only a few days. With so many fish still around it is sure going to be tough to close. The spring fishing is still fantastic, there are a decent number of coho around, and the bottom fishing is as good as it has been at any point during the season. This is truly what you would call finishing off on a high note!

At a time of year when many people would expect the spring salmon fishing to be slowing down, it just kept rolling along over the past week. Boats are still reporting intense spring salmon action all throughout the day. After it was a Freeman Rocks show for pretty much the entire season, over the past week boats spent far more time fishing The Lighthouse and Next Rock with excellent results. This was certainly a very welcome change. The majority of the springs were in the 17-23 lb range although a minimum of two or three tyees are still hitting the dock every day. We also had several in the high 30’s and low 40’s. Dave Bowen took top honours for the week with a nice 44 lb hog. Way to go Dave!

Much like the rest of the season, the coho fishing was decent over the past week but certainly not as strong as we have come to expect at this time of year. Once again, nobody has been complaining with all the springs around. We are, however, seeing lots of very nice sized coho in the 13-15 lb range. Joe Presto managed to tie the season record for the largest coho (now a 3-way tie) with a beauty 17 lber. Nice work Joe.

As for the bottom fishing over the past week, as mentioned, it was as good as it has been at any point during the season. It still seems that we have to put in some time to find the halibut but when we do there always seems to be some nice ones around. Halibut were once again found in a wide range of locations including the Louis Hump, Next Rock, and Flattop Rock. We had several halibut over 50 lbs come into the dock virtually every day last week as well a few much larger ones. The largest halibut of the past week was a 187 lb monster caught on changeover morning by Doug Davey. Nice finish Doug. As for ling cod, red snapper, and other critters, they were incredibly plentiful, just as they have been all season.

The weather over the past week was certainly not the best we have experienced all season. We had a wide range of weather, including our first gale force wind in almost 2 months, but we also had some beautiful sunny and calm days. It was more of the typical mix that most people expect for this part of the world. The forecast looks to be equally varied so we will be going with the “be ready for anything” strategy.

If you have recently visited Hippa, thank you for joining us and we hope to see you again. For those of you who have a trip planned to Hippa in the near future, the staff and I look forward to your arrival. If you have any questions or comments feel free to e-mail me at rorr@westcoastresorts.com.

They're still coming by right now. Good enough for me. :D

I'm hoping to find out this weekend:D. Thanks for the Qc report.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Was pretty good out there on Thursday when I got out-Loaded up the boat real quick on the South West Corner.:D

Hey Buddy,
Thought you where out shooting animals bye now.
I need a couple good roasts:D

Nice
Enjoy the time up there.Give me a call when you get back
I like a nice moose roast [8D]

I believe that could be arrange.Jackal good for a moose roast but my neighbour is good for the deer[:p]
We still good for the dino's in Oct?:)

You bet we are.... if they would close the damn sockeye fishery I could stop catching them and concentrate on getting back to the dinos......:D

Nick and I got back from his youth hunt last friday.... venison being processed so we will have a roast and some peperoni etc. for you once we finally hook up...... son thinks he is a king now with the socs he has caught, now a deer for the freezer and is talking of a late season whitie hunt.....;)

Nice-Is that Nicks first deer?

Got to grab the boat out of Toquart end of next week & looking to spend a couple more days off shore depending on the weather.
:)

Not his first, his fourth!! Little bugger has been hunting and fishing with me since he was 4-5.... as soon as he was able to get his license (12) he has been out getting his deer and ribbing me about not worrying about filling the freezer.....[8D]

Back