Herring Fishery

Any of the commercial guys give some insight to the mass in the inside waters, Georgia Straight. The soundings appear low but in relation to years of fishing and experience is it normal?

Was out at French creek fishing, seems like a ghost town for bait. Usually tons of wild life by now if they were to show up in any numbers, the good years seem to have tons of seagulls and sea lions picking them apart a month before the spawn, not much activity.

The seine fishery in the Strait of Georgia closed yesterday after their quota was met in 5 days. 2,313 tons of the 2,304 ton quota
The Gillnet fishery opened today

Last edited by a moderator:
I can remember way back some early April spawns, so yeah... still possible. Would like to get some bait.
The food herring works better for cutplug and salmon fishing. The roe herring is ok for bait but I still prefer food herring even for bottom fish. Maybe it's just my preference. However I guess they are all mixed up anyway this time of year in the spawn. Don't miss out on the steveston herring drive this next winter. Those are minty. Cheap too

Last edited:
this guy knows where to find em lol, taken from FB

335315032_922354555746635_716005975519861114_n.jpg

The 8th Strait of Georgia Herring Spawn Flight departed at 09:10 hrs today from Departure Bay, Nanaimo. The flight headed north from Departure Bay along the Vancouver Island shoreline to Black Creek then returned south via Denman and Hornby Islands to Nanaimo. The flight path can be seen on the attached map.

1.0NM of active spawn was observed from Qualicum Beach to Little Qualicum expanding south. 7.0NM of heavy active spawn from south Big Qualicum to Mapleguard. 0.1NM light active spawn at Kye Bay and 0.1NM active spawn at Kitty Coleman. 0.2NM active spawn at Phipps Point and 0.4NM light active spawn north of Whaling Station Bay. North Little River spawn washed out with small patches of active spawn. Bird activity was observed at Nanoose.

The next flight is tentatively scheduled for 09:15 hrs Friday, March 17 from Nanaimo and is weather dependent.

1678933899497.png

Back