Herring Fishery

There were 396 individual humpback whales photographed in the Salish Sea in 2022, the highest number documented in a single year in at least the past century, according to researchers with the Canadian Pacific Humpback Collaboration.

The humpback comeback also includes a record-breaking 34 mothers with calves who traveled from their tropical birthing waters in Hawaii, Mexico and Central America.

The previous record of 21 humpback calves was set in 2021, according to the PWWA.

Why so many sightings?​

Gless said the high number of sightings boils down to food. Killer whales, for example, go to areas where there are many seals, sea lions and porpoises to eat.

"We've got lots of food for them. And so, every year, we've been seeing more and more of them," she said.

Researchers are also reporting more sightings of grey whales, which normally feed in Alaska, because of a food shortage in that region, Gless said.

"It shows us how important we are as a region for them that they're choosing to come here instead," she said.
You must be cutting and pasting the wrong things because at the start it talks about all of the Humpback sightings in the Salish sea and then gives the reasons why so many sightings but talks about killer whale sightings due to all the seals and sea lions.

You must be cutting and pasting the wrong things because at the start it talks about all of the Humpback sightings in the Salish sea and then gives the reasons why so many sightings but talks about killer whale sightings due to all the seals and sea lions.

was about all whales in the salish sea and their increasing numbers

"The humpback comeback also includes a record-breaking 34 mothers with calves who traveled from their tropical birthing waters in Hawaii, Mexico and Central America.

The previous record of 21 humpback calves was set in 2021, according to the PWWA.

Humpback whales are another Salish Sea success story, growing in number thanks to ample food supply and protective measures enacted in the 1960s prohibiting commercial hunting of the species, the PWWA said.

“20 years ago, it was rare to see humpbacks or Bigg’s killer whales in the Salish Sea. Now, we see them almost every day,” said Erin Gless, the executive director of the PWWA in their report."

Gray whales, popuses, sea lions, seals, humpbacks, Biggs killer whales all increasing in numbers in the salish sea and coming he for the abundance of food.

There were 396 individual humpback whales photographed in the Salish Sea in 2022, the highest number documented in a single year in at least the past century, according to researchers with the Canadian Pacific Humpback Collaboration.

The humpback comeback also includes a record-breaking 34 mothers with calves who traveled from their tropical birthing waters in Hawaii, Mexico and Central America.

Why so many sightings?​

Gless said the high number of sightings boils down to food. Killer whales, for example, go to areas where there are many seals, sea lions and porpoises to eat.

"We've got lots of food for them. And so, every year, we've been seeing more and more of them," she said.

Researchers are also reporting more sightings of grey whales, which normally feed in Alaska, because of a food shortage in that region, Gless said.

"It shows us how important we are as a region for them that they're choosing to come here instead," she said.
We didnt see a lot on them WCVI this year either..

Gray whales, popuses, sea lions, seals, humpbacks, Biggs killer whales all increasing in numbers in the salish sea and coming he for the abundance of food.
That all sounds nice but doesn't that put increased pressure on the herring stocks. The good thing is that the Biggs are coming in and eating some of the seals and sea lions, a hundred or more of the Biggs would be great :) .

That all sounds nice but doesn't that put increased pressure on the herring stocks.
Sure glad whales, sea lions, seals and porpoises don't feed on herring
article-2113883-0EEFDA4800000578-541_1024x615_large.jpg

f87de20dd69d4e49b3032152ba263dd8.jpg

I was out near Galiano in January. Never seen so many humpback in one spot in the gulf. Hard to say how many there actually was. At least a dozen give or take. In a one mile radius. At least a hundred sealions as well.

There is lots of herring boys. We go over this every year. They take very very little TAC in the big picture. Almost nothing. I also get tired of hearing rec anglers complain saying there's not enough for salmon. Blah blah. Just stop. If you want to understand the herring fishery go talk to guys that have been in the industry. On all sides of the industry. Then form your opinion. Learn, understand, and then form your opinion.

I was out near Galiano in January. Never seen so many humpback in one spot in the gulf. Hard to say how many there actually was. At least a dozen give or take. In a one mile radius. At least a hundred sealions as well.

There is lots of herring boys. We go over this every year. They take very very little TAC in the big picture. Almost nothing. I also get tired of hearing rec anglers complain saying there's not enough for salmon. Blah blah. Just stop. If you want to understand the herring fishery go talk to guys that have been in the industry. On all sides of the industry. Then form your opinion. Learn, understand, and then form your opinion.
Well that’s your opinion. I still wonder where all the herring balls went that were right in horseshoe bay and also off of point grey? Got rid of my rake a long time ago and never had a need for it again.
I don’t think anybody has a complaint about the reduction to 10% commercial take that is the norm up and down the coast of the Pacific at this time.

Well that’s your opinion. I still wonder where all the herring balls went that were right in horseshoe bay and also off of point grey? Got rid of my rake a long time ago and never had a need for it again.
I don’t think anybody has a complaint about the reduction to 10% commercial take that is the norm up and down the coast of the Pacific at this time.

What's my opinion?

You know nothing about the herring. Other than maybe what you read in articles. You wanna know about the herring go talk to guys who know more about herring then anyone else. That's not an opinion. That's advise

What's my opinion?

You know nothing about the herring. Other than maybe what you read in articles. You wanna know about the herring go talk to guys who know more about herring then anyone else. That's not an opinion. That's advise
“There is lots of herring boys.”

You need a new sounder if you can’t find bait In Vancouver harbour, I’ve snagged firecracker Herring before with my hootchie and had my rigger shacking going through bait balls.

I’ve opened up chinook in may with 8 inch herring in their bellies.

Why herring is sounding more deeper then in the past don’t ask me ask the seals

You need a new sounder if you can’t find bait In Vancouver harbour, I’ve snagged firecracker Herring before with my hootchie and had my rigger shacking going through bait balls.

I’ve opened up chinook in may with 8 inch herring in their bellies.

Why herring is sounding more deeper then in the past don’t ask me ask the seals
I don’t recall saying there is no herring
in Vancouver harbour, but do not think they are anywhere close to historic levels.
A few times we scooped our salmon net into the herring ball and filled the back of the boat.
Things were a lot different back then. We did not need nor did we have a sounder.
Not usually seals driving the herring into a ball either mostly coho.

Alaska still harvests at 20%

SITKA SOUND
The Sitka Sound sac roe fishing area encompasses the waters of Section 13-B north of the latitude of Aspid Cape and in Section 13-A south of the latitude of Point Kakul in Salisbury Sound.
In spring of 2021, the biomass of mature herring returning to Sitka Sound was estimated by the ASA model to be 245,302 tons which was above the 210,453 tons forecasted to return. The 2022 ASA forecast of mature herring biomass is 225,820 tons. The final GHL for the 2022 Sitka Sound herring fishery is 45,164 tons. This GHL is based on a 20% harvest rate.

I don’t recall saying there is no herring
in Vancouver harbour, but do not think they are anywhere close to historic levels.
A few times we scooped our salmon net into the herring ball and filled the back of the boat.
Things were a lot different back then. We did not need nor did we have a sounder.
Not usually seals driving the herring into a ball either mostly coho.

So the graph is wrong, I know someone who’s job it was sounding herring but by all means share with us your estimates based on your herring rake and your able to more accurately estimate the biomass.

Attachments

• 1677735149101.jpeg
    1677735149101.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 4
Alaska still harvests at 20%

SITKA SOUND
The Sitka Sound sac roe fishing area encompasses the waters of Section 13-B north of the latitude of Aspid Cape and in Section 13-A south of the latitude of Point Kakul in Salisbury Sound.
In spring of 2021, the biomass of mature herring returning to Sitka Sound was estimated by the ASA model to be 245,302 tons which was above the 210,453 tons forecasted to return. The 2022 ASA forecast of mature herring biomass is 225,820 tons. The final GHL for the 2022 Sitka Sound herring fishery is 45,164 tons. This GHL is based on a 20% harvest rate.
From Washington all the way down to Southern California however it is 10% harvest rate.

So the graph is wrong, I know someone who’s job it was sounding herring but by all means share with us your estimates based on your herring rake and you’re able to more accurately estimate the biomass.
How many summer run sockeye were estimated to return to the Fraser and why did only about 25% of the estimate actually return? Maybe the estimate was not accurate.

Back