Help! Counter on Downrigger counting too fast

i just had my lines on Scotty 1106 changed from steel to braid and now the counter reads way too much and goes up too fast. Starts at zero and goes to over 600 with only about 60 feet of line out. Any idea on how to fix this?

you may need to build up your spool, suggest winding the braid onto another rigger
and put on a couple hundred yards of cheap backing.
attach the braid to the backing and wind it back on.
Helps to have 2 people

Last edited:
The diameter of the spooled line on his rigger would need to be 1/10th of the correct amount to be out by tenfold.
A six" diameter would let out 18.85" per turn, so the diameter would need to be 3/5ths of an inch to get a 600:60 ratio.
I don't know the proper diameter, but I'm thinking his counter is pooched.
C=d x Pi

I use braid and have switched many times from braid to wire and vs versa-never seen anything like you describe even starting at bare spool. So I agree with Tubber -without the math _I say your counter is gone. Open the lid and move the reel a bit and play with the counter sprocket and see what it does and also make sure it is fixed in place.

I bought a replacement counter for one of scotty electrics and it did not count correctly. Turned out to be a counter for a manual scotty. Had to buy the correct counter, then it worked.

This is not your problem tho. Time for a new counter. Read the package carefully.

Were your downriggers sitting for a while before you changed from wire to braid? I had a similar problem earlier this year the first time out. Basically, the counter was spinning too fast on the way down so was over counting. I think the grease or whatever provides some friction in the counter had dried up over winter. Or maybe the unspooling / spooling in quick succession had the same effect.

You can check by opening the cover and flicking the counter wheel with your finger - if it spins freely (i.e. counts off more than a foot per flick) you've found your problem.

Fortunately, it is an easy fix and takes about five minutes - find your nearest Scotty dealer / service provider and they can get you a new counter, should be about $20 - $30 (unfortunately you can't take the counter, it is a sealed unit).

Last edited:
Back