Help Convincing My Wife

No I didn’t buy it.
With your advice and the experiences you guys have shared here, I’m telling myself it’s okay to let it go.
Good decision.

I bought a BSA 500 Royal Star in Dec. 1969, and sold it in Aug. 1970, feeling very lucky to still be alive at that point. I was given 3 warnings, each one more intense than the last.

The first came about 2 months after I bought the bike. I was a typical 18 year old, with no comprehension of how easy it is to die. As I roared at twice the speed limit on Marine Dr. from West Van to North Van, under the Lions Gate Bridge underpass, a middle aged Highway Patrol officer riding one of those orange and white Harleys pulled me over. Instead of giving me a ticket, he just said, "Keep riding like that, son, and we'll have to pick you up with a shovel", and rode off. A warning like that, from another biker, was much more effective than any ticket from a cop in a patrol car. I never sped after that.

Second warning came a couple of months after, on a small country highway in Washington state. Buddy and I had just started a trip from N.Van across the states to Florida, up the Eastern Seaboard, and back across Canada. A car driver made a left turn in front of me. I had time to brake and not smack into him. That really made me realize that they just don't see bikes.

The third warning was "the one". I came within a few inches of death at very high speed. Trans Canada Highway, out in the middle of nowhere (western Ontario), 2 lanes, speed limit (pre-metric days here) of 60 mph (97 km/h). Buddy and I were riding side by side, with him on the right. We were probably doing about 65 mph (105 km/h). No other traffic, except two approaching cars. Just before they got to us, the rear car pulled out to pass. My buddy moved onto the gravel shoulder. I moved over as far as I could, just at the edge of the pavement, just as the passing car got to us. That car went by so close, the wind almost knocked me down. I guess he was going about 75 mph (120 km/h). When I pulled over onto the shoulder, my whole body shook for half an hour. All I thought about was selling my bike as soon as I got home. Then the numbers started rolling around in my head; that car's 75 mph hitting my 65 mph head on would have meant an impact of 140 mph (225 km/h).

The only time I feel like riding again, is when I see another 1970-ish BSA like mine. Thankfully, that is an extremely rare occurrence, and I easily shake off that old idea.

Wow, thank you all for your thoughtful advice.
I suppose riding is more dangerous than I thought it was.
In BC, one in 20,000 riders die each year, which means if you ride for 20 years, it’s a 1/1000 chance you will die from riding. I figured I could cut down on those numbers a lot if I didn’t speed, consume any alcohol or ride at night or in the rain, as these are all factors in a large percentage of fatal crashes.

Maybe instead of trying to convince my wife to let me ride, I should work on convincing myself not to. It’s going to be hard as it’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot and really want to do.

You guys make great wives!

stizz

View attachment 70838
Pic taken yesterday when I went to look at it on the way to my work site.
2014 Suzuki c50 BOSS 8700kms $6000.
Hey Stizz, I hope you see this through. You look sexy as hell on that thing. Follow your dreams buddy. If she really loves you she isn't going to dump you over something as innocent as a motorcycle. I'm sure she has hobbies that you don't fancy. Having our own interests as irrational as they may seem to the other party is exactly what makes a successful partnership.

You know the risks and you know what you can do to minimize the likelihood of the worst case scenario. Now get out there and live your best life because it's too damn short regardless of how many years you get to log.

May not dump him - but will punish him for decades. Been married 52 years and I was giving my wife decades ago hell about all the shoes she buys. She marched me out to the boat and pointed at it and said no more s**t from you.

May not dump him - but will punish him for decades. Been married 52 years and I was giving my wife decades ago hell about all the shoes she buys. She marched me out to the boat and pointed at it and said no more s**t from you.
But did she make you sell the boat? You just illustrated my point. We all have our irrational hobbies. It sounds like you two came to an understanding. I love it.

You will probably never convince your wife that a motorcycle is a good idea so you have to decide how much you want one and whether or not you can live with her being pissed at you.

Lots of naysayers here who have never ridden a bike. Post the same questions on a biker forum if you want another view point. I've been riding for 54 years or so and can personally attest that riding is one of the most pleasurable, satisfying things you can do. You seem to have a good approach, good starter bike choice and a good attitude so good luck and good riding if you decide to swing a leg over.

But did she make you sell the boat? You just illustrated my point. We all have our irrational hobbies. It sounds like you two came to an understanding. I love it.
If the bike makes her live in fear of becoming a widow - if you truly love her, is that what you want?
Full disclosure: I never even wanted a bike and my wife loves boating and fishing as much as I do.

I've been wanting a dual sport bike but decided against it. Realized I have zero interest in riding with traffic.

There's a lot more traffic on the Island these days, especially during the months I'd like to be riding. Doesn't help that most modern cars have terrible visibility with chunky pillars and tiny windows. Then there's everyone who thinks it's no big deal to screw around on their phone while they "drive". Yeah, just not for me, I'll stick to dirt only bikes.

Well this guy didn't see my big black truck just now. Doing 50, no brakes, turned right in front of me. I monster trucked him. View attachment 71089

At least you crashed right out front of the best body shop (korvas) in Vancouver, I was there today...hope all are OK!

You must have been heading east bound, people rip that left southbound all the time

At least you crashed right out front of the best body shop (korvas) in Vancouver, I was there today...hope all are OK!

You must have been heading east bound, people rip that left southbound all the time
Everyone's ok. My hand is jammed up pretty good though. Wheel spun on me. I was heading East in the curb lane and he was going West. He just went for it right in front of me. Stopped the truck in the width of his hood.

Thumbs up for Korvas

Nothing like having a guy trained by Ferrari in the old country bang on your fenders but RCs rig is a bit out of their wheelhouse. It will be a damn sad day when he hangs them up, but I don't think he's ever going to.

Ram 1 - whatever you hit 0.
Hope you feel okay im the morning.
Any issue with the other driver accepting responsibility?
No, ICBC already said it's 100% his fault. Witnesses agreed. He actually had no idea it was his fault. Kind of felt bad for the guy. He's a new Canadian and I'm sure his car was his livelihood.

Ram is sold, not buying the bike.
it’s impossible to upgrade a double eagle.
Wife’s heart is mine forever! The rest of her body too…

No, ICBC already said it's 100% his fault. Witnesses agreed. He actually had no idea it was his fault. Kind of felt bad for the guy. He's a new Canadian and I'm sure his car was his livelihood.
Yeah that’s too bad for him!
I tboned (at low speed as I was skidding and swerving to avoid him) a young guy in his car once in the middle of the night when I was coming hone from hockey. he cut across 3 lanes to make a left turn. I was travelling straight through in the left lane and smoked him. He claimed I was on the wrong side of the road which was ridiculous, luckily there was a large curb down the center of the road which proved his theory incorrect.

Back