All Terrain Tires -- General Grabber vs ???

TenMile

Hey guys,

Interested in opinions of what works well for a good all-round use All-Terrain tire for my Tacoma 4x4 pickup (long box, crew cab).

Want something that can do the following:

- 90% in-town/highway driving primarily the lower island -- want quiet, good wet weather traction
- 5% -- logging roads (Cowichan to Bamfield) -- need a puncture resistant tire that will stand up well to the blast rock
- 5% -- ski hill performance -- Whistler and Washington roads -- preference for snow rated

Vehicle has the dealer supplied Dunlop AT20. Last 6 trips to Bamfield has resulted in 3 flats and 2 tires destroyed -- after 35k tires are below 50% worn. I find these are a terrible tire -- traction sucks, vehicle drifts around corners and they are soft -- both destroyed tires saw rocks penetrate the tread. Only thing positive I can say about this tire is that it's relatively quiet for an AT tire (at least a tire that calls itself AT).

Lots of choices out there -- I've looked at:

- Michelin LTX AT2 -- 100,000km tire, gets excellent review -- is a 4 ply tire, not winter rated but reported good traction -- about $1300 out the door after shopping around
- Cooper Discovery AT3 -- 96,000km tire, tops consumer reports, also a 4 ply tire, reviews suggest it's noisy on the highway -- about $1200 out the door
- General Grabber AT2 -- 96,000km tire, 6ply tire, winter rated -- $998 out the door

So far, I am heavily leaning to the General Grabber (made by General Tire / Continental) -- seems to meet all my needs -- bit heavier ply should be more puncture resistant -- while not a "snow tire", the tire is winter rated so for Victoria's limited cold days these should be fine.

TireRack chart here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

Anyone have strong opinions?

I would go with the grabber, I run BFG allterrains and love em but there is a hate committee out on them apparently 60,000kms is not enough kms for a set of tires, mine are 6 ply but they also come in 10 ply, I am on my third set since I bought the truck with 60,000 kms on it, 250,000 on my truck now.. check out Cedar Tire, what ever tire you decide they will probably be worth the run up to Nanaimo as nobody can touch their price or service... IMO

Goodyear duratrack....super great tire that many of my friends are having great luck with. These guys punish their trucks on logging roads and beyond, tires work really well in the snow as well.

I had those Dunlop AT20 pieces of garbage on my FJ when I rolled it off the lot in 2006. Rolled it right to the tire shop and got me some BFG ATKO in the 10 ply. Got 95,000 kms out of them. And I do some pretty good off road miles to get some way out of the way 4x4 only fly fishing lakes in the interior. I thought they were a fantastic tire in every condition except mud. They tended to fill up with the mud and turn in to slicks. So my next was a 255/80/17 BFG Mud Terrain KM2. So far they are great in mud and dry roads, but not great for much else. They have been good in deep snow, but not so much on a snow covered road. So far I have about 70,000 kms on them. Will get the winter out of them, then will need a new set next summer. Won't be buying them again. Although they do look cool. I'll be either going back to the 285/70/17 ATKO or might switch brands and try out the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. I have a few buddies running them and they love them. If you're going to be driving on logging roads, stay away from 4 and 6 ply tires. They might work OK while new, but once the tread starts wearing down, you're going to get punctures. 10 ply all the way for me. FJ rides a little rougher, but I hate having flats.

Get away from the 4ply, Go 6 or even 10ply. Depending on size of tire, Toyo ATII are also an awesome tire

What size tire?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay away from the general grabbers! The worst tires ive ever owned!

Go with an LT tire, not a P rated 4 ply tire.

Discovers would be my choice of the three you selected, but I would look at Hankook Dynapro or Nokian Rotiiva in an LT tire. Both are great tires with good all around traction.

Cheers

SS

They wont ballance, there out of round, They will get flat spots from parking and feel like your driving on eggs lol. Terrible stopping performance in the rain (scary!)

Mickey Thompson Baja 2 are really great tires got 80k on a power stroke with them.

Highly recommend Pro-comp Extreme All-terrain tires. Slightly more aggressive than BFG A/T's. I have them in 35 x 12.5 x 20's and they are wearing quite well for the first year. Not the greatest picture of them, but only one I can find

Truck - New tires 002 cmpressd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will confirm what steely said, I went from BFG to the grabber. The BFG were great all around, quiet and lasted a long time. I used them driving from whistler to van almost every weekend in the summer and used driving many a logging road for tree falling. The grabbers are horrible won't sounds like I am driving around in a helicopter. Just sold the truck with them on it and was tuff convincing the buyer the front end of the truck was fine and in fact the noise he was hearing was the tires.

That's a serious looking truck Fin! Big-butt rubber -- winch and an "it's not dark near me" package!!! Cool:cool: Make my Taco look like a toy :)

the bfg are garbage ever since the put the snowflake on them. softer compound and they dont last. i love the toyo m55, but would be a bit heavy for a toyota. my vote is the duratracs

That's a serious looking truck Fin! Big-butt rubber -- winch and an "it's not dark near me" package!!! Cool:cool: Make my Taco look like a toy :)
Thanks 10, it also has a big butt fuel bill to go with it :rolleyes:. The diesel has so much more power, it can also tow my 7000 lb striper/trailer as well as the camper.

The only reason I run BFG TKO right now is refuse to have two sets of tires a snow/summer tire. So trade off is wear. But having them now I realize there were better options I never looked at... Fuel Bill/Noise are biggest *****.

I like my Goodyear Silent Armour Pro-Grade all terrains.
They are also snow rated too, not just M/S A/T.
Smooth and very quiet running, no traction issues ever.
I have 40k them now, looks like they'll go another 40k.

I like my Nitto Terra Grapplers but do a bit more dirt than you. After logging and falling for years 10 ply is the only way to go on the dirt. And even then flats are common.

Back