Help Convincing My Wife

Wow, thank you all for your thoughtful advice.
I suppose riding is more dangerous than I thought it was.
In BC, one in 20,000 riders die each year, which means if you ride for 20 years, it’s a 1/1000 chance you will die from riding. I figured I could cut down on those numbers a lot if I didn’t speed, consume any alcohol or ride at night or in the rain, as these are all factors in a large percentage of fatal crashes.

Maybe instead of trying to convince my wife to let me ride, I should work on convincing myself not to. It’s going to be hard as it’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot and really want to do.

You guys make great wives!

stizz

Pic taken yesterday when I went to look at it on the way to my work site.
2014 Suzuki c50 BOSS 8700kms $6000.
Nice looking bike. Hope your wife says this "Take the money you were going to spend on a motorbike and buy a bigger boat" I always love the idea of a motorbike and then realize it will be one more toy I don't use and will take time away from fishing, mountain biking, surfing....

So... have you already bought that bike?

That helmet, on the pillion seat it has to go.

View attachment 70839

Helmets wear out, UV alters the structure of the helmet.

The average rider rides about 2,500 miles per year. Five years and a helmet is viewed as used up.

High mileage riders use up their helmet life much faster. I dropped an Arai on the concrete and send it in to them for a free assessment .

The called me and asked me how many miles I was riding . I told them and they said the UV has been hard on your helmet it should be replaced. I always wear Hi Viz Yellow helmets so I can track the fade in the colour when I change a visor.
No I didn’t buy it.
With your advice and the experiences you guys have shared here, I’m telling myself it’s okay to let it go.
As some of you guys may have noticed from my history here, I get addicted to things. It took me a long time to slow down with my fishing addiction and not posting on every thread here/buying way more gear than I need.
I will be patient and one day I’ll get a
the restomod classic car of my dreams.

Thank you all for your help on this matter. I really appreciate it!

No I didn’t buy it.
With your advice and the experiences you guys have shared here, I’m telling myself it’s okay to let it go.
As some of you guys may have noticed from my history here, I get addicted to things. It took me a long time to slow down with my fishing addiction and not posting on every thread here/buying way more gear than I need.

The classic car sounds like a good idea. Lots of beauties on the road.Nothing wrong with a fishing addiction. What a great way to recharge away from work.

Nice looking bike. Hope your wife says this "Take the money you were going to spend on a motorbike and buy a bigger boat" I always love the idea of a motorbike and then realize it will be one more toy I don't use and will take time away from fishing, mountain biking, surfing....
It’s funny when I approached her yesterday and told her there’s something I need to talk to about and that there was a big ticket item I wanted to buy, her immediate response was “buy it, honey!”
Then I showed her that pic of her sexy hunk of man meat on the bike, she said “absolutely not, that’s a death trap!”

she’s a good one!

If you go down the collector car route, buy the best one you can already finished...sort of like a boat. Bringatrailer.com is a good place to start.

If you go down the collector car route, buy the best one you can already finished...sort of like a boat. Bringatrailer.com is a good place to start.
100%!
It’s easy to change out the wheels/do a couple of tweaks to an already finished car to make it your own. People usually sell a mint car for a fraction of what they put into it.

I travelled back and forth to work along Broadway on my Honda for a couple of years....

One morning, heading east by the old Pacific GMC (circa 1981ish) had an old yellow van come up beside me....I glanced over, saw a guy smiling at me.... he cranked the steering over into me sending me sailing. Had several people witness it, but no plate number.

I got the bike to my work....and took it as the only warning I needed....never rode on the streets again.

Now we're talking. Lol. Way easier to sell the wife on that and the way some hotrods are selling these days may be a better investment.

Still riding high performance dirt bikes at 63.
Currently own a KTM450.
Even more fun than skiing powder.
Gave up street bikes at 22 after a few very close call and a dead brother in law and cousin in a two week period.
Donorcycles.

Orthopaedic trauma nurse here, I see 3-4 people minimum a year losing legs after motorcycle crashes on the island. For me it’s a risk reward thing, I wouldn’t start riding if you don’t have a long history or passion for it.

Pull the "Mens Mental Health Card". It works for.

Do you have personal experiences or memories form a younger age related to biking? Perhaps stories of experiences with your dad that you'd like to pass on to your kids? Anything like that could help convince her.

For me, I had a lot of memories of being out on the water with my dad. We did not always get along, but always had a good time on the water. I have tons of great memories of myself on the water with him.

I told her, (and of course I was sincere as well) that I want to try and create similar memories for my kids. I wanted to share my love for being on the water with them. Not to mention that it is truly my happy place. A life dream. That was the thing that got her to change her mind and support me in getting a boat. I just wish my dad was still around to join us.

(Side Note: Just this past weekend, my 9 year old son told me that when he grows up he wants to be a fishing guide. And while this warms my heart, that he is starting to love fishing and being on the water with me, I do question the stability of this profession for the future!! But still, it makes me happy.)

Your getting the drift on this. I gave up riding a few years ago. To many people did not see you for what ever reason. You always had to be prepared for someone to turn in to you. Sooner or later your going to get it. Bike season is almost over for the year. To hot to ride when we had the heat dome. Think of another hobby.
Yeah, Stizz! Every think of taking up boating and fishing as a hobby? If you do it right there's no time for bikes. ;)

Back