All Terrain Tires -- General Grabber vs ???

I've been running Firestone Destination AT's on my '06 Tacoma 4wd V6. I had Revo's on it before and these are better. I have the 6-plys and they have worn well, are very quiet, and handle lots of 80-90kmh on interior gravel roads. I think they are excellent, are wearing very well/staying quiet, and not very expensive.

I've tried Nokians, too soft and you have to deal with Kaltire, who have charged me double for a tire change because of the TPMS.

We' had good service out of Coopers and Toyos on work trucks but I'd buy another set of these Firestones.

PS - I must emphasize that those Nokians will be too soft for island gravel roads...they will chunk. You want a tough tire for that use.

Last edited by a moderator:
m3 b

ive been runnin my BFG AT 's ( 35 in) on my ride for 7 years now , there kinda done now , i got 70 K on em in 7 years ,
9.5 in camper at times , towin the Striper at the same time , not one issue , not one flat , ( knock on wood )
been in 2 feet of untouched snow in the hills , they were really good , maybe there are better tires out there im sure ,
the best part , theve been up and down the Bamfield gravel road close to 200 times , there durable id say ??
m2b

gd lk

fd

Well, I ended up pulling the trigger and getting the General Grabber AT2's installed. Got them installed at a shop in Victoria called SHC -- he could easily have sold me either the Cooper, BFG or Michelin tires at a higher cost but convinced me that the Grabber's were the best choice for my use. A 6ply with the snowflake symbol so I'm legal when I drive up to Washington and Whistler that will hopefully last longer on the road to Bamfield.

Did a ton of online reading. Every tire it seems has their fans and haters (except the Dunlops and everyone craps on them which is well deserved).

Hopefully no more flats. I don't think I had changed a tire in literally 20+ years and in the past year, I've had to do 3 on my truck and one on my wife's VW and I've had about enough!

Initial highway drive impression and there is a bit more road noise. It's not loud, and certainly can't hear it over the radio but it's there -- expected with a heavier more-aggressive tire.

Back