Help Convincing My Wife

Stizzla

Crew Member
I would really like a motorcycle. Does anyone here have experience with a better half that was super against the idea, then came around? Any tips?

The bike i have selected is a cruiser not a crotch rocket, super reliable and rated as an excellent starter bike. I will only ride during daylight on dry days. I will happily stay off the highway. I will take the safe riding course. I have an excellent driving history and I am a defensive driver.

It’s just that I look so damn sexy on this thing!
90472396-AB95-47C8-9A6E-81865CBC3291.jpeg

I don't boat, I fish. I don't go for drives, unless I'm commuting, shopping, or going fishing. Does this pull a boat or pack groceries or tools?
If you have to convince your wife, you either married the wrong gal, or you already know what to (not) do.

Unfortunately I can't help you much, mine witnessed a fatality on a Harley so that ended any hope I'd ever ride on the street again.

Perhaps if I upped the term life policy...

My wife worked for ICBC and had seen the tragic results of bike crashes. She was and still is totally negative toward motorcycles. But I have owned and ridden everything from 80 cc. dirt bikes to Harleys over 50 years. A buddy and I did the "Easy Rider" thing in the early '70's and rode coast to coast - right to St. John's.
We agreed to disagree but eventually it was I who decided the risk/reward ratio had tilted away from riding.

My tip is to listen to your wife - a cruiser is a highway bike and highway driving is no fun anymore. Too busy, too crowded and many cagers have no consideration for motorcycles. In any dicey situation you always lose - badly. The most fun on bikes for me, was dirt bikes on remote logging roads or trials bikes riding up dry creek beds and over logs and boulders. And to begin, a great way to learn.

Well, I started to ride 20 years ago and have ridden well over 600,000 KMs. My wife and I started to ride at the same time and she had about 350K on bikes when an eye issue (non riding related ) stopped her riding .

Riding is inherently dangerous, make no mistake about that and Vancouver and the lower mainland is the most dangerous place I have ever ridden. I have ridden in Rome, Naples, Istanbul, Bulgaria, LA in rush hour, Mexico and no place is as challenging as Vancouver. I have been dumb enough to twice finish the Iron Butt Rally an 11 day, 11,000 mile event around North America so I have some riding chops.

As part of the Long Distance riding community I have lost many friends to accidents, even the best riders can't avoid losing their lives. A pal who has over 2 million documented miles says convincingly that every accident is a result of rider error. I tend to agree

If you have a young family or financial obligations make certain that you have adequate life and disability insurance before you start to ride.

You can mitigate the risk of injury/death by doing some things some of which are going to be against the "accepted" rider's code.

1. Go to a good riding school

2, Before you throw a leg over a bike buy the correct gear, a Full Face helmet , proper armoured jacket and pants, riding boots and good riding gloves. I had a 43 MPH get off at a police type riding school 2 years ago and the instructor thought I was likely dead or severely injured. I had been getting kidded by the jean jacket open faced helmet riders in the class. When I got up with the chin bar of my helmet ground down and only a broken wrist bone (my fault I was wearing a wrist watch) and the watch hit first and broke a bone in my wrist.

Everyone wanted to know what gear I had on.

3. Don't consider any bike that is lacking ABS brakes. Seriously.

4. You say that "I will only ride during daylight on dry days".

All this will do is get you in trouble the first time it is pissing rain, cold, or one night when you get a flat at 8:00 pm and have to ride home in the dark

"I will happily stay off the highway".

A divided Highway is far safer than a city street or a winding country road with blind corners, loose gravel, and farm vehicles .

"I will take the safe riding course".

Fantastic, after you get through the course, take some private lessons. Get up at 5 am and go riding by yourself in the city where you can practice lane position , turning in big intersections, riding on crappy streets. You will not have full rider's vision and practicing with low traffic levels is safer. You need to ride a lot to get better and better is safer.

I only ride with one other person now that my wife doesn't ride . I usually ride alone I find it safer. Riding at night is wonderful and riding through the night and when the first sliver of the new day appears you get this great primal reaction like you have survived another night and the sabre tooth tigers didn't kill you.

Animals are a real danger, annoying farm dogs that try to get under your wheel. Moose are my specialty, I have had close calls with 4 or 5 moose and clipped one in the night . Oh, and I was chased by a wolf on a muddy gravel road in Labrador. I could only get up to about 50 KMH - it was wet clay mud I was proud of that until a pal was chased by three wolves near James Bay

"I have an excellent driving history and I am a defensive driver".

You are a defensive car driver, the horror of being invisible to everyone on the road because you are on the bike takes time to adjust to.

The good news is that you will see a lot more bikes when you ride.

Stizzla, bike choice is the last thing on your list. While that black beauty reeks sexy it may not suit the kind of riding you want to do and you don't know what that is yet.

You will drop your bike guaranteed and scratch it all up, those black pipes and paint will look real nasty with road rash.

I once got a bike to almost 100K before it took a parking lot nap and I dropped another one within the first week. :D

Read Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough and the Idiots Guide to Motorcycling. Read the Hurt report.(google it)

Join us over on ADVRider.com

There are as of when I wrote this 1,050,452 threads , 39,946,599 posts in those threads , and 403,899 inmates

Links to some threads

Accident reports where we discuss our mistakes

Most Important Things to Know For a Motorcycling n00b.​

Now on to the wife issue. Riding may not be an option for you. If your wife says no you need to pass

If I had had kids I doubt I would have ridden until they were in their 20's.

I own a company and every year when we would head off to Europe for a month's riding (pre covid) I would write a letter to all our client's that started off.

"If you are reading this letter I am dead, likely as a a result of a motorcycle accident. I would then go on to explain what the contingency plans were for the company.

I met with the staff each year to go over the plans if I died or was disabled and how the company would look after them. The company had insurance on my life if I died and if I was disabled we had corporate disability insurance that would pay the company overhead and staff salaries for 2 years in the event I was disabled.

Here is a little video of my wife and I riding Stelvio Pass in Italy on our first trip to Europe. We are about half way down the pass when my wife got out her camera and started filming . Turn the volume down all you can hear is wind noise, ( why we wear ear plugs) The Bike was a 2007 KTM 990 Adventure - a bike I had ridden to Inuvik and Prudhoe Bay two successive summers, along with my wife who rode her own bike on the same two trips.

PM me if you want to talk. I can't help you with your wife.

My wifes Mom had to go identify there nabour who became a road pizza on his bike.

so yeah no advice from me my wife would kill me.

Bill pretty much nailed it. i haven’t ridden as much as he but i did hold a class 6 for 15 years before an eye issue also made me hang up the keys. a few things i must point out:

People just don’t see you. they just don’t. period.end of discussion. ppl are more and more distracted these days with their stupid phones, and the increase of traffic on the island the last few years is nuts. especially when i had my black bike, i had so many close calls. while it’s true “loud pipes save lives”, you can’t just drive defensively; you have to ride with the mentality that everyone out there is trying to kill you.

you can be cruising down the strip minding your own business when you are quickly distracted by Riverboy and his LuLu Lemons walking on the sidewalk looking for a craft beer to quaff, and BANG. some young kid listening to Drake waaayy too loud suddenly turns left and “you’re sailing” like Anthony Kiedis.

I only had one crash and luckily it was in an “S” curve going around 30 km/hour. the valve stem in my front tire let go and my front tire deflated IMMEDIATELY. i leaned over to see what was going on, and the rim made contact with the road as i shifted my weight and down i went. first thing that hit the hard was my left hip, second part was my head. i had a good concussion which…whatever i’ve had a few but my hip has never been the same and that accident effectively ended my passion of playing hockey as skating became impossible due to the constant pain, which i still live with ten years later. again, i was only going 30 k. if i had taken my normal route to work i would have been travelling in excess of 80-100k per hour, and the birds would still be picking me out of the road.

Think about this; in a car you’re in a cage strapped into a seat. on a bike you have nothing. you’re hurtling yourself thru the air with little to no protection. in a serious crash, the riding gear will just hold your bits together while your wife gets the horrible call to ID you.

sorry that’s harsh but….you got a wife and kids amigo ….

( All my bikes were dual sport KLRs or DRZ -400’s. you wanna talk cool? nothing beats leaving your garage and being in the bush cruising dirt roads and trails in minutes. no trailers, no ramp loading. i had a four piece rod that fit in my pack. i looked like uma thurman in kill bill except it was a fishing rod not a Hittori Hanzo sword; but i digress)

so based on my candor guess how i feel? it’s nothing to do with you i don’t even know you except from here, it’s other people that are the real hazard for riders.

My brother has 2 Harleys and rides only in the summer. He's got a bagger and a fatboy. He's very carful. Never makes a left turn into oncoming traffic and never rides in rain and has a lot of expensive leathers. He won't ride with guys who wanna speed all the time. Everyone drops their bike at some point. Just make sure you are prepared and take that advanced course they put on for riding which is very good. (He lives in Victoria). Early on he decided having Harleys was more important than a wife. So, let's do a review; get the right leather gear, take that course and be prepared for your wife to leave you at some point. I think that about covers it.

Wow, thank you all for your thoughtful advice.
I suppose riding is more dangerous than I thought it was.
In BC, one in 20,000 riders die each year, which means if you ride for 20 years, it’s a 1/1000 chance you will die from riding. I figured I could cut down on those numbers a lot if I didn’t speed, consume any alcohol or ride at night or in the rain, as these are all factors in a large percentage of fatal crashes.

Maybe instead of trying to convince my wife to let me ride, I should work on convincing myself not to. It’s going to be hard as it’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot and really want to do.

You guys make great wives!

stizz

44332295-383E-4F0C-AD44-28F0C9E3E73C.jpeg
Pic taken yesterday when I went to look at it on the way to my work site.
2014 Suzuki c50 BOSS 8700kms $6000.

Last edited:
When we were planning to get married, my wife-to-be asked just two things of me: no motorcycles and no back country skiing. She had lost her first husband in an aircraft crash and didn't want to go through anything like that again. Fair enough.

I got a bike licence even before I had a car licence, and by 18 I was doing track days and heading into club racing. Bikes were a real passion. But at age 30 when tasked with her request, I saw the sense in it. I'd had a bunch of small drops and one serious one. Had become accustomed to cars and trucks that didn't see me. The defensive riding courses I'd taken could only protect me so long; eventually circumstances would line up and take me out. I've respected those conditions ever since and have no regrets almost 30 years on.

I would really like a motorcycle. Does anyone here have experience with a better half that was super against the idea, then came around? Any tips?

The bike i have selected is a cruiser not a crotch rocket, super reliable and rated as an excellent starter bike. I will only ride during daylight on dry days. I will happily stay off the highway. I will take the safe riding course. I have an excellent driving history and I am a defensive driver.

It’s just that I look so damn sexy on this thing!
View attachment 70833
Your getting the drift on this. I gave up riding a few years ago. To many people did not see you for what ever reason. You always had to be prepared for someone to turn in to you. Sooner or later your going to get it. Bike season is almost over for the year. To hot to ride when we had the heat dome. Think of another hobby.

Our daughter-in-law is a critical care nurse (ER/ICU). She and her colleagues refer to motorcycle enthusiasts as “organ donors”…

I used to ride in my early 20s, crotch rockets. I did all kinds of dumb stuff, which I won't even get into so I don't incriminate myself. I never had a crash but definitely scared myself a few times. Every one of those was from my own stupidity going way, way too fast. I definitely had 100s of close calls with cagers that didn't see me, but was never surprised and was always in a position to avoid a crash by driving defensively.

I gave it up eventually after a close riding buddy got paralyzed in a crash.

In my mid 30s, I decided I'd get back into with a 250cc dual sport. I figured it would keep me out of trouble as compared to the crotch rockets I used to ride. 5 days after I purchased it, I hit a deer that jumped out of a ditch, I wasn't even speeding. I had zero chance to avoid it and went down narrowly avoiding being run over by an oncoming car. 4 years later I still have shoulder and back pain from that crash.

Needless to say I'm back into the no bike club.

When it comes to motorcycles, it's a risk-reward calculation. Only you can decide which way the scales tip.

So... have you already bought that bike?

That helmet, on the pillion seat it has to go.

1632317128959.png

Helmets wear out, UV alters the structure of the helmet.

The average rider rides about 2,500 miles per year. Five years and a helmet is viewed as used up.

High mileage riders use up their helmet life much faster. I dropped an Arai on the concrete and send it in to them for a free assessment .

The called me and asked me how many miles I was riding . I told them and they said the UV has been hard on your helmet it should be replaced. I always wear Hi Viz Yellow helmets so I can track the fade in the colour when I change a visor.

I can’t help you convince your wife but I can brag that my wife actually bought me my bike hahaha. 1972 Honda CB350F. It's more of a fun thing for me to tinker on rather than actually riding it too often. And it's not winning any races but is plenty fast enough to hurt yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_7296.jpg
    IMG_7296.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 59
Was always on my bucket list till I joined a lower mainland fire department 20 years ago. First 2 years on the job 4 fatal bike calls that the rider wasn't at fault. Put an end to my interest and a splattering of bike calls ever since has kept it at bay. Your at the mercy of others

Back