Hauling a boat across the Island

Pangaea

I have a 23 Hourston in Vancouver that I'm thinking of bringing to Nanaimo, then trailering across the Island to Nootka (Tahsis?) to fish for about a week with a couple of friends this summer. Got a truck capable of pulling said boat, but no trailer. Any ideas? Does anyone rent trailers? The only place on the WCVI I've ever fished is Kyuqout (twice), hauling a (much smaller) boat to Artlish and launching there. I don't think I'd try it with the Hourston, though, although I hear the Fair Harbour route may be a bit easier... I'm not absolutely stuck on Nootka, I just want to fish the highway and get into a few halis [:p]. Any help / advice would be much appreciated.

The road to Port Renfrew is paved, and from there you could fish for hali and for salmon.[8D] Renny is a lot closer than Nootka too.

This may be a stupid question, but why not buy a trailer?

Once you have a trailer, I would suggest putting in at Gold River and then running to Tahsis. The road between Gold River and Tahsis can be questionable (washboard, steep inclines/declines, dusty, rocks hitting the hull of the boat). It may be ok if you go 15 mph.

does anybody know how long of a boat ride it is from gold river to tahsis ?? cruising 30

Salty, its about 30-40 mins flatout w/calm day. It's hard to do
cause there is so much to stop and see. I can't go that far without Stopping to fish!
Panagea call 'Don's Boat Transport' 479-1014 in Victoria, ask for Al
Leard or Rick Jenkins. They will have answers for your questions and tell you how many $$. I know they haul Gillnetters all the time from French Creek to Port Alberni or Gold river to save 'running' time& fuel and meet opening times.;) There is another guy in Nanaimo, but I don't know anything about them. Fair harbour is not easier than Artlish River.

the buy sell and trade has a whole bunch of places renting trailers, most of them give deals too like pay for 3 days get the fourth free.

Stayed at Hoiss Point last year and it was 26 miles by water from Gold River boat launch to there. The guides say it is about a 40-45 minute run up Tahsis inlet from there so It would be around an hour and a half trip , by my reckoning .

Just plotted it out on my Nobeltec. Your looking at ~35 NM Gold River to Tahsis and another ~17 NM from Tahsis out to the Whistle Buoy. It's a Gas Burner for sure. If you've never been to Tahsis before the scenary is spectacular through Tahsis Narrows.

I would agree.... I think 30-40min is a little quick... i'd say more like an 1:15 or so. Also agree with launching in GR and running up. Try and launch in the morning if at all possible as it chops up pretty good in the afternoon down that channel! As for Nootka its a beautiful place to visit I would highly recommend it!!!

Thanks everyone for all the info / options. I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I sure love that northern west coast fishing experience. I don't have a trailer 'cause I don't have a place to store it (my boat's moored in the chuck). I'll post when I've figured it all out.

Back