Handling Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect Fishmyster, I think you are missing the point with your last post.
What it boils down to is, what is more important to you.
Getting a photo of yourself with a fish to satisfy your ego or promote your business or handle the Chinook in the best possible way to ensure it survives.
It's your choice...until of course DFO simply close fishing altogether to avoid the mortality of the photo Chinook.

Just putting a little levity in this whole debate but with one of the constantly referenced points being tiring the fish out........should you not just be dragging around a flasher without a lure behind so that the fish can't tire itself out? :confused::cool:o_O

Look-up "drop off mortality". There have been many studies where troll caught salmon have been net-penned after being caught; many fish die says later. Down in WA we can't take a fish to be released out of the water. I have been following this practice for the last 20 years. Can't believe the BS some spout in trying to justify their actions like it's OK to take pictures this year cuz they can't be retained - think about it; the restrictions are in place because the fish are in trouble, so let's add to the problem by taking their picture.

the restrictions are in place because the fish are in trouble,
WRONG!!! ....the non-retention "restriction" you speak of here on the BC south coast waters that came into effect in April is a politically motivated regulation and having NOTHING whatsoever to do with protecting those troubled early Fraser River Stocks !! So lets just first get it strait as to what Chinook are actually being released and put at risk in doing so ( or bonked if the fishery was open like is has been in past years). You can complain and argue all you want about poor release techniques, although I'd suggest pushing good release techniques is great and I'd suggest can still include some photography, but don't be just another one of the gullible and uninformed that gets fooled by our Fisheries Minister here in Canada that implies the Chinook we release in SoG are those stocks in trouble......that my friend is the "BS" you should maybe think more about. You may not know the background of why the Chinook non-retention protest in Vancouver came about but was because of that BS. Anglers fishing the inside on the south coast have proven via CWT and DNA sampling that they intercept less than 1% of the 4/2 5/2 Fraser Fraser stocks of concern. The Chinook we are catching and releasing are over 99% stocks that are stable and healthy and are mostly of HATCHERY origin. The reason the rec sector is catch and release only right now is due to FN FSC rights/constitution. The public sector/rec fishers out in SoG cannot continue to retain any Chinook (stable stocks, hatchery or otherwise ) in marine areas as long as any of the FN FSC net fishery in the Fraser river is curtailed in the slightest. We are stuck in a political mess but my point is again that you can argue all you want about C&R causing a certain rate of mortality and it obviously varies with technique and improves with education and practice but at least get your facts strait as to what stocks are actually the ones going through these dreaded photo sessions ( the hatchery Chinook we are implied to be destroying by a photo being taken this year and that we were killing for dinner last year) .

Last edited:
Fishmyster, i picked blue for my response as i don't know how to type in a quiet shed a tear type reply. First i think you owe Whitebuck an apology, name calling is such a bad thing, don't you know it is a form of bullying, shame on you. Now as for your reply i think that it is THE STUPIDEST POST I HAVE HAD THE UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE OF EVER READING ON THIS FORUM. Now i hope this doesn't cause you to shed a tear, if it does i am really really sorry from the bottom of my heart, now you go out and have yourself the best long weekend ever.

Yours truly,
Piperdown

[QUOTE ] Fishmyster = So Fogged would be more accepting if SG's gal jumped into the water and swam behind the fish for a photo. How about if there was an inflatable pool in the back of the boat to place fish in for photos? Would that be acceptable to you? Between you Jackel and whitef@#k you guys seem hungry to slander SG for photographing a "fish of a lifetime". Why don't you guys show some of your own footage of how to release properly and still get a good photo to capture the moment? IMHO you are just a bunch of internet cowards who like bullying others from the shelter of you desk. You and your attitudes are a disease to the sportfishing community!! What's next? Those fish are just too precious to fish for, right?? Like someone posted here before photographing fish is part of fishing heritage. Bitching at others for capturing the moment with a photo is not. Have some fricken class for Christ sakes.

SG. If I never said it before, congratulations on the spectacular capture and photo last year. As far as I can see in the photo the fish looked to be in great shape for release. That photo is a total wall hanger!!! I am happy for you to have such a great photo to keep the memory for future years when fishing may no longer be allowed. Don't ever let these looser anti photo butt hats take anything away from the you and your girlfriend's accomplishment. They are just jealous of the fish and company you are with. These anti photo goofs don't have the balls to ever place their own faces on a public forum and just ***** ***** ***** about others.
[/QUOTE]

Great post. For me personally I take great pleasure in releasing a fish quickly and effectively as possible as to not injure the fish or cause too much stress but I think all would agree there is some mortality that exists with it and I think that if you cannot accept this with releases then you should probably quit fishing. And also avoid looking at fish photos too lol. As my post earlier above points out for my area and SoG we are releasing 99% hatchery fish that are not the Fraser River Stocks of concern so lets realize that before using the " stocks needing protecting" spin on it ...... YES keeping mortality low on releases is important but remember a bonked fish is worse than one that has been give a chance to survive - so we are doing wayyyyy better than last year in keeping all those hatchery fish alive! The complainers aren't stopping at fish photos either. In many cases netting a fish in a C&R net and keeping net in the water to enable a quicker hook release .....or for safety reasons due to poor weather conditions is good practice. I hear complaints about that too, in fact all aspects of C&R so it is not going to stop until they get fishing shut down completely. This year now you have all the keyboard cowboys who feel even a C&R net is now an evil killing weapon and releasing fish after a quick photo should amount to a year in the local penitentiary. I am thinking some of our 'brothers' are being brainwashed by ENGO !

Now if there was a very weak stock travelling through a particular area at a particular time that needed protecting that is done by full spot closures to fishing ( PSF has stated run timing is very consistent year to year so spot/timing closures are effective) So in reality C&R right now in SoG is not protecting anything other than a bunch more hatchery fish are surviving this year despite those C&R hatchery moralities people are so upset about - Oh and I forgot, FN rights are also being protected

Last edited:
Fishmyster, i picked blue for my response as i don't know how to type in a quiet shed a tear type reply. First i think you owe Whitebuck an apology, name calling is such a bad thing, don't you know it is a form of bullying, shame on you. Now as for your reply i think that it is THE STUPIDEST POST I HAVE HAD THE UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE OF EVER READING ON THIS FORUM. Now i hope this doesn't cause you to shed a tear, if it does i am really really sorry from the bottom of my heart, now you go out and have yourself the best long weekend ever.

Yours truly,
Piperdown

No tears here. Also no apology to you or the whiteb@#ch who are slandering SG either. If my reading comprehension is correct he is calling SG pathetic for having a great photo of a great fish. So that makes it fair to call him whatever suits his actions. This thread is just the rash caused by your anti photo guys disease of angler envy!! Aren't you guys cool to beat up on a girl holding a fine fish before release while hiding behind the screen. Who are you and where is your picture? IMHO you are all cowards.

Unfortunately some of you are missing the point its a proven fact that taking a fish out of water increases the mortality and bear hugging a fish taking off the slime scale loss etc really devastates a fish, yes you can say "it swam away perfect" after you netted have it on deck flopping then hold it up etc etc.but why increase its chance of dieing if you really dont need to?????
Go work where they are collecting chinook for brood stock for a few days . I personally was surprised at how fish looked after going up to spawn hand prints you could see that were making it rot scale loss etc . It opened my eyes for sure.and those are the ones we see that have lived...
I was taught respect the animals you hunt and fish, I always try and wait for good clean kill shot on game and dispatch fish the same quick as possible.

Unfortunately some of you are missing the point its a proven fact that taking a fish out of water increases the mortality and bear hugging a fish taking off the slime scale loss etc really devastates a fish, yes you can say "it swam away perfect" after you netted have it on deck flopping then hold it up etc etc.but why increase its chance of dieing if you really dont need to?????
Go work where they are collecting chinook for brood stock for a few days . I personally was surprised at how fish looked after going up to spawn hand prints you could see that were making it rot scale loss etc . It opened my eyes for sure.and those are the ones we see that have lived...
I was taught respect the animals you hunt and fish, I always try and wait for good clean kill shot on game and dispatch fish the same quick as possible.

Do you think SG or other anglers are taking hero shots of every dam fish they catch? Did you get the finger prints from all the hand prints on released salmon you seen? It is also a proven fact there is a mortality just from angling. Do you plan on "driving the hook home" regarding that fact too?? When you were taught respect for the animals you fish and hunt did nobody teach you respect for the other people who hunt and fish? Where does incidental mortality fit in wrt you high level of respect for wildlife? In your opinion is a gill or eye hooked fish just ok but to remove slime and hug a fish every once in a while not??? Maybe you and the other ******* should just do the right thing and quite fishing because it hurts fish!!!

How about that guy that broke off his flasher and hook, what’s the survival rate on a salmon dragging around a flasher?

Fishmyster, you have certainly lost what little credibility you may have had with your responses to this thread, have a good weekend if that is possible for someone so bitter, Wolf agree 100%, we may sometimes agree to disagree but you are bang on with this.

The name calling, innuendo and publicly calling out other members has hit a low we haven't seen for awhile here. Time to refrain from hitting the send button or use the ignore button when necessary to avoid crawling into the gutter. This one is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back