Handling Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
HERE is a prime example why... I have people say to me I see all of these dead fish pics of salmon you guys are catching??? point im trying to make social media is our enemy or our friend holding fish up is killing us ,,, there is a ENGO wanting a call to ALL fishing right now as they see all of the pics and are trying to tag a mortality rate, you tell me how these fish I found on FB are going to live THIS is my point!!!!! why create more UNWANTED bad press its not helping our cause....notice how hard he is squezzing it right at the fishes heart?? and look at all the scale loss on other pic you might as well bonk it. no different then a predator chasing game, then its so far done from exhaustion .... then now you cut off its living supply ....upload_2019-6-21_14-54-4.png upload_2019-6-21_14-59-19.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-21_14-55-46.png
    upload_2019-6-21_14-55-46.png
    929.2 KB · Views: 2
t’s because he has taken a picture of a fish out of the water and then put it back,

PROVE IT as id really like to see that ..... I like to take pictures of fish I have killed as thats more then fine by me, question do you bring a halibut on board thats too big to keep?? me nope take hook out beside boat if i can if not , i cut it off...

Last edited:
You know we could pass a motion asking for similar regulation to the states where the fish has to stay in the water.

Something tells me tho it would be voted against

upload_2019-6-21_15-24-16.png
upload_2019-6-21_15-34-35.png
upload_2019-6-21_15-33-18.png
upload_2019-6-21_15-38-24.png

I could go on?

Last edited:
I hope this debate if nothing else, will accomplished one thing.
More people will think twice before taking a photo of a Chinook holding it out of the water expecting 100% survival and this practice will become the exception rather than the norm.
Nothing will stop those who insist that their personal joy of the moment or value of a photo to promote their business is more important.
In the end, they really don't care if the Chinook survives or not. "not my problem" some will say
Just like those people who do not believe there is any such thing as manmade Global Warming and that Open Net Pen Atlantic Fish Farm Sea Lice and disease do not kill any salmon.
There is no changing some peoples minds or behaviors.

Last edited:
The tackle stores,guiding operations should be at the fore front of proper fish handling! Should be the leaders in showing why fisheries should stay open with proper C and R. Our Vancouver area social media heroes are doing a **** poor job at proper C and release. These guys should be setting examples not providing arguments against the recreational fisheries. Might as well just klunk the seal bait after their hero shots!
They wouldn’t dare do this with steelhead? It’s funny they are shooting themselves in the foot to completely shutting down more fisheries just to get a hero shot!

Thank you Wolf for being a guide who actually voices hard truths! It’s sad but once again industry putting $ in front of conservation and ethics!

However....we should be killing everyone of those hatchery fish!
**** DFO!

Last edited:
This is a cut-and-paste taken from the Fisheries (General) Regulations of Canada;
“Release of Incidental Catch
  • 33 (1) Subsection (2) applies where a person catches a fish
    • (a) at a time or place at which the person is prohibited from fishing for that fish;

• (b) by a method or with fishing gear that the person is prohibited from using to fish for that fish; or

• (c) the possession or retention of which is prohibited.
  • (2) Except where the retention of an incidental catch is expressly authorized by any of the Regulations listed in subsection 3(4), every person who catches a fish incidentally shall forthwith return it
    • (a) to the place from which it was taken; and

• (b) where it is alive, in a manner that causes it the least harm.”

I personally handled around 300 coho today!
No joke....out of the water with each and every one!!

You know we could pass a motion asking for similar regulation to the states where the fish has to stay in the water.

Something tells me tho it would be voted against

View attachment 45968
View attachment 45971
View attachment 45970
View attachment 45972

I could go on?

Keep in the Libtards or Greens/Commies I’m sure that regulation will be coming soon. Then soon after a complete ban of any angling just to ensure it’s being enforced properly. Think I’m exaggerating keep voting them in and you’ll see. It’s coming folks, just keep up the arguing and holier than thou BS amongst ourselves and the greedy will feed off of it like the starving rats they are.

Keep in the Libtards or Greens/Commies I’m sure that regulation will be coming soon. Then soon after a complete ban of any angling just to ensure it’s being enforced properly. Think I’m exaggerating keep voting them in and you’ll see. It’s coming folks, just keep up the arguing and holier than thou BS amongst ourselves and the greedy will feed off of it like the starving rats they are.

Yep. Just like that gun registry that just got passed. I refer to what I was told on one of the NGO groups pages. I commented about orca starving etc. Was told by a bunch of them to get a new hobby. This is what we are dealing with.

It is not about whales, fish , grizzlies or wolves. It is a about a new generation of individuals that firmly believe we should not be hunting or fishing.

Unfortunately a lot of people aren't looking at big picture. Must say its been effective still haven't bought license and boat is sitting parked. This is the first time in years for me. Never has my boat sat idle. Trying to remain positive but it is hard.

This government needs to go and we need to stop feeling guilty for what we do.

Last edited:
I think if it's done properly, no harm,no foul.
A couple weeks ago I watched a local guide boat haul a salmon by the leader over the side
of the boat and drop it to the floor. they then got a pic and threw it back over the side.
i was appalled.

that is non professional idiot.

So you start a thread and ive waited 4 days now as you said you have so called evidence that I have done improper handing of a fish ??? I take it personally when you say something about my integrity of how I fish or even hunt...I have fought DFO over 30 years and have guided the same I have always been and tried to help out sport fishermen ive seen alot of crap come down the pipe maybe my delivery was a bit off but the way DFO does thing isnt normal and they blame us for EVERYTHING , I just can see whats gonna happen down the road from all this, enjoy taking pictures of fish as it wont be long before we cant. if you guys keep it up. that paper i posted is gonna hurt us, one thing you need to know about DFO they wake up everyday and go hhhhmmm wonder what we can do now to shut sport fishing down they have no heart they dont want to see us on the water as its easier to close seasons down then to enforce it

You personally have called me out and then complain on here that I spelled your name wrong.well so did you bud ....
And finally , If you tell someone “with all due respect” please spell their name correctly.

As a good shows line "do you need a tissue sally?" I come from a era that when a guy put forth his hand in a hand shake its a done deal non of this millennial crap where I need a participation award. and "offended" by everything.

enough of my rant for the day. Go fish have fun with whats left

I think people associate habits with what they were brought-up recognizing as acceptable - often w/o thinking about it.

I think that C&R has a place - when it is used as a conservation tool and when necessary - those points together and not separately.

Releasing gravid female rockfish for example - and/or releasing weak stock fish in good condition when targeting another species (and not targeting the weak stock fish). If the intent is to conserve - then the fish need to be treated w the best care (not kept of the water for more than 30 seconds, not captured/released when the water is warm, not caught w barbed treble hooks or hooked deeply, etc.). C&R makes sense here, and only here - IMHO.

But to target weak stock fish solely to get one's picture taken is not defensible IMHO - and there are other options available. Pretty informative floating down a river during spawning time in a dry suit w a mask. One sees many more interactions than you ever thought possible. Today - there are both tethered cameras and go-pros. It's exciting to see what fish are around with these, too.

If we are truly interested in releasing fish is the best way possible. Then we should not be using treble hooks, we should also not be using trailer hooks and probably not using bait ect... I have caught fish we they get hooked by the stinger hook but then the other hook gets stuck in their gills or eyeballs. I have had decent size chinook swallow bait.

The best practice tho is staying at home and letting those fish get bigger. We can catch them later in the summer as bigger fish.

Altho IMO nothing's worse then that debauchery of a winter Fishery were 2 year old fish are retained.

index.php

Last edited:
So you start a thread and ive waited 4 days now as you said you have so called evidence that I have done improper handing of a fish ??? I take it personally when you say something about my integrity of how I fish or even hunt...I have fought DFO over 30 years and have guided the same I have always been and tried to help out sport fishermen ive seen alot of crap come down the pipe maybe my delivery was a bit off but the way DFO does thing isnt normal and they blame us for EVERYTHING , I just can see whats gonna happen down the road from all this, enjoy taking pictures of fish as it wont be long before we cant. if you guys keep it up. that paper i posted is gonna hurt us, one thing you need to know about DFO they wake up everyday and go hhhhmmm wonder what we can do now to shut sport fishing down they have no heart they dont want to see us on the water as its easier to close seasons down then to enforce it

You personally have called me out and then complain on here that I spelled your name wrong.well so did you bud ....

As a good shows line "do you need a tissue sally?" I come from a era that when a guy put forth his hand in a hand shake its a done deal non of this millennial crap where I need a participation award. and "offended" by everything.

enough of my rant for the day. Go fish have fun with whats left
I guess you don’t read the posts before responding. I said I was don’t with this ******** conversation.
People are going to take a side and nobody is going to change their minds.
Please keep killing 1000’s of fish a year and complain about the one that I picked up in the most gentle way possibly.
Please write chek and complain about their Saturday fishing shows where monsters like Tim Milne and Brendan Morrison pick up fish and put them back.

It was one of your partners that said you have either taken pics of fish, or held them up yourself. I don’t have proof, and I don’t really care.

Read this: I’M DONE WITH THIS.

Please keep posting your “look at me” reports (maybe throw some helpful info next time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back