Handling Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what ...if your going to accuse me of something then do it do not slander my name just because of some hearsay ********.

I am done to if I am wrong ill be the first one to say SORRY my bad Guys like you are one the main reason I hardly post any more its unfortunate as I know alot like to hear whats really going on out there .
Still the door is open if you ever see me come up and say hi etc maybe have a beer at dock whatever . just telling you the straight goods.

Good luck Wolf

lot of acrimony on this thread. I think everyone can agree that leaving the fish in the water is best for the fish. Also getting it to the boat ASAP.
I sent my son the link to the study. He's just completing a masters of science in fish biology. He has also been a commercial fisherman and is a recreational angler. I asked him if an anti angling group could commission a study with like minded scientists to come up with a report like this. I suspect his answer will be "yes, they can" None of what is in the report has been proven, it's all just speculation generated to try and close all fisheries, except FSC ( I bet)
Oh, and those comments about millenials? They're not all like that, my own two sons, ( 31+ 33) fish and hunt. So do a lot of their friends. I think it's the urban millenials we have to worry about...

You know what ...if your going to accuse me of something then do it do not slander my name just because of some hearsay ********.

I am done to if I am wrong ill be the first one to say SORRY my bad Guys like you are one the main reason I hardly post any more its unfortunate as I know alot like to hear whats really going on out there .
Still the door is open if you ever see me come up and say hi etc maybe have a beer at dock whatever . just telling you the straight goods.

Good luck Wolf
Agreed, we just have a difference of opinion. I’m not slandering you at all. I know people that have used your services and speak super highly of you. I was just passing along something I heard to help drive my point home, but as mentioned, no minds will change so let’s move on, and yes I do really like beer ;)

All the best,

Stiz

If @Admin could please put this thread out of it’s misery, that would be great!

WHY
other then a few embarrassing posts, this Thread has served a great purpose!!
You are a fine fellow Stizzla and many enjoy your posts...don't be discouraged just because you ran into an unexpected controversy.

WHY
other then a few embarrassing posts, this Thread has served a great purpose!!
You are a fine fellow Stizzla and many enjoy your posts...don't be discouraged just because you ran into an unexpected controversy.
Thanks, I guess I’m just not to used to the gritty threads in the conservation/politics section. I find it quite redundant when everyone butts heads, especially knowing opinions don’t just change.

I suppose if one angler that doesn’t know that you shouldn’t net a fish that you’re going to release reads this and decides to just let it go in the water (which I do 99% of the time) then it’s been worth it. If that person IS going to take a pic, I hope they take my advice, on the method I had erased from the sooke reports section that’s better than the net and thrashing plan.

And gosh, you’re a fine fellow too!

I will now re-post the instructions I personally believe are the best possible, to pick up a salmon for a pic if you must. Again it’s not as good as gaffing the hook out in the water:

F539A6CC-3A3D-40D1-B3D5-EE86220381C4.jpeg

Rather than bicker about the rules, please feel free to make changes or add anything to my method here. After all, I suck at fishing.

accidental floss, the chin did not go back to eat.

40383115_10156788698574114_8101812714155802624_n.jpg

This is the proper way to catch and release apparently says SG

[QUOTE
This is the proper way to catch and release apparently says SG[/QUOTE]

NO, the proper way to catch and release a Chinook is to release it at the side of the boat without taking it out of the water.
Some really don't give a damn if they maximize the chance of survival and they will no doubt continue taking their out of the water photo's.
The bigger the Chinook the greater chance it will not survive after you take your photo.
Please don't conclude removing the fish from the water and taking a photo a is the proper way to release a Chinook.
It's a matter of fact, it's not the BEST.

That is absolutely pathetic and complete disregard for the fish. Hopefully that was not a guided fish.
One would think a guide would know better than that?
Seeing some of the hero pics from the Charlottes is a joke. These same guides would would raise a huge fuss if it was steelhead! I guess springs are different and can breathe out of water?:rolleyes:

[QUOTE

NO, the proper way to catch and release a Chinook is to release it at the side of the boat without taking it out of the water.
Some really don't give a damn if they maximize the chance of survival and they will no doubt continue taking their out of the water photo's.
The bigger the Chinook the greater chance it will not survive after you take your photo.
Please don't conclude removing the fish from the water and taking a photo a is the proper way to release a Chinook.
It's a matter of fact, it's not the BEST.[/QUOTE]
This is a pic from Serengeti's facebook page, he posted another pic of the same fish on here last fall but in that pic his girlfriend is now standing and hugging the bejezzus out of the fish. I made a comment about nice fish bad C&R practice and his reply "well they do it in the Charlottes so it is ok", so there you have it. I released some fine chinook today never touched a single one and none came out of the water

upstream hand with leader, downstream hand with gaff, slide gaff down leader until it engages in hook curve, press down forward hand as low as possible while slightly lifting gaff. fish released. takes less than one second. takes some practice tho doing it on both sides of the boat as you will need be a bit ambidextrous.

Look-up "drop off mortality". There have been many studies where troll caught salmon have been net-penned after being caught; many fish die says later. Down in WA we can't take a fish to be released out of the water. I have been following this practice for the last 20 years. Can't believe the BS some spout in trying to justify their actions like it's OK to take pictures this year cuz they can't be retained - think about it; the restrictions are in place because the fish are in trouble, so let's add to the problem by taking their picture.

Cut your leader at the boat....nuff said....no pictures, no touchy.....just retie and go on with your day minus one hoochie, spoon, plug or teaser head.

:D :p :D ;) :cool: :D :rolleyes:

[QUOTE

It's a matter of fact, it's not the BEST.[/QUOTE]

So Fogged would be more accepting if SG's gal jumped into the water and swam behind the fish for a photo. How about if there was an inflatable pool in the back of the boat to place fish in for photos? Would that be acceptable to you? Between you Jackel and whitef@#k you guys seem hungry to slander SG for photographing a "fish of a lifetime". Why don't you guys show some of your own footage of how to release properly and still get a good photo to capture the moment? IMHO you are just a bunch of internet cowards who like bullying others from the shelter of you desk. You and your attitudes are a disease to the sportfishing community!! What's next? Those fish are just too precious to fish for, right?? Like someone posted here before photographing fish is part of fishing heritage. Bitching at others for capturing the moment with a photo is not. Have some fricken class for Christ sakes.

SG. If I never said it before, congratulations on the spectacular capture and photo last year. As far as I can see in the photo the fish looked to be in great shape for release. That photo is a total wall hanger!!! I am happy for you to have such a great photo to keep the memory for future years when fishing may no longer be allowed. Don't ever let these looser anti photo butt hats take anything away from the you and your girlfriend's accomplishment. They are just jealous of the fish and company you are with. These anti photo goofs don't have the balls to ever place their own faces on a public forum and just ***** ***** ***** about others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back