Halibut Quota Ad on SportfishingBC Home page - Still there!

Fish-Hunter

Yes, isn't that nice. They took Wolf's thread down, I believe that it was very close to or just over 2000 views in less than 24 hours. Obviously, goes to show that this is a very serious issue to many on this site. Lots of people have now left the site to join other sites. This is a sad day here for the sake of a couple of hundred dollars???? What ever the money amount is, is not the point, it is the principle of taking and running that particular ad on a site that so dedicated to sport fishing. The thought that anyone on here would be receptive of that ad, well obviously there was not much thought there other than for the money to run the ad.

If you are not sure what we are talking about here, go to the Sport FishingBC Home page:
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/index.html
and on that page you will find the ad for purchasing halibut quota, yes that is what I said, and ad promoting the purchase of Halibut Quota from Commercial Quota Holders. Now the trick here is that if you go to the home page from this forum you will not see the ad, they have blocked it from view via this forum link. However if you click on one of the other tabs on that page and then go back to the home page (you may have to try a couple of times) Voila, there it is in all of it glory. The link I have included does show the ad I believe.

The Administrators have been asked to remove the ad as many of us find it to be a slap in the face to the people that are supporting this site. They did respond, but in defense of the ad, and they have not removed it, instead they removed Wolf's whole thread on the issue. This thread will likely be removed soon also. With a heavy heart, I have decided that I will not be making regular contributions to this site until that ad is completely removed and an apology is put forth to everyone.

I will be participating at this forum for general discussions: http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/forum.php this seems to be where a lot of the people that have already left, have gone to. A great forum with the same type of format as this one. I will also be using this site for fishing reports: http://www.zurtrolures.ca/reports/ another great site, if you have not seen it, check it out now before they delete this thread too. Sign on and make some reports.

Cheers to all of the great people that I have encountered here, I hope to see you on the other sites and on the water.

Over and out.

This was the response on Wolf's thread by the Admin.

Admin said:
Hi Guys,

We note, with no surprise, the response to the IQMI ad that was posted on our site yesterday. When the ad was submitted (it was not solicited), we were well aware that it would be contentious, given the previous discussions that had taken place around this issue on the Forum. (Yes, we do spend a lot of time reading your posts on a daily basis).

A little digging into the IQMI website reveals that it is not a government -sponsored undertaking, but rather a private sector enterprise with an executive comprised of three people, one with a background in finance and IT, the others with backgrounds in the commercial fishery. The company’s services include managing and selling quotas in behalf of their clients who can, by extension, only be commercial quota holders.

In one of the earlier posts on this issue the following was stated: “You can't afford to judge your advertisers, if you can, congratulations, your publication is probably one in a handful in the entire world.” Further to that, our position is that a democratically-run publication has no business judging its advertisers at all.

The entrepreneurs availing themselves of opportunity are not the ones at fault here. That the 88-12 allocation is in place is patently wrong. That there are quota holders who don’t own a boat is patently wrong. But it’s not their fault that they hold and exercise those quotas, it’s the fault of the Federal Government, and particularly Fisheries and Oceans Canada, that enable them to do so.

With careful investigation, we could no doubt find cause to criticize any or all of our advertisers for any number of reasons. And they could no doubt do the same to us. But it is their investment that enables us to provide the many features that our site delivers, including the Forum. We appreciate and share your passion for sport fishing and the many businesses it supports.

Peter

Just noticed that post # 8 by Lastchance in the "So....." thread In General forum http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?16144-So explains he apparently deleted the whole thread by accident, while trying to delete just one "insulting" post. Lastchance implies that Wolf's thread still exists in the Conservation forum but I can't find it.
Wow I was just about to speak my word to the admin /Peter for deleting/ censoring Wolf's thread. Its bad enough to have the Halibut quota ad on this site but to have our reponses to that removed ......well thats declaring war !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been on BC Fishing Reports for years as an active member and advertiser when I used to Guide. Great folks,run by Rick Berg who is an awesome guide and good all-round fellow. Rick moved up to the Charlottes a couple of years ago but the site has still remained a great one and he has help from a few moderators.
As with every forum you get a few knobs trolling through but they soon get weeded out.
I use that site for fresh water and Fraser river/Harrison issues ,but, I guess it will be saltwater stuff now as well.
Too bad, this was a great site with very dedicated people helping others. Its a shame to see the site operators have blinders on when it comes to the Hali Quota and how it DIRECTLY is a boot in the nards for the sport fishermen.
But I guess we are considered the lowly unwashed by the upper crust. Sad really!

Too bad, this was a great site with very dedicated people helping others. Its a shame to see the site operators have blinders on when it comes to the Hali Quota and how it DIRECTLY is a boot in the nards for the sport fishermen.
But I guess we are considered the lowly unwashed by the upper crust. Sad really!

Agreed.

This was a great place with great people and a wealth of information, especially to Newbie Salties like myself. Another prime example of how the roll of money plays in the short sitedness of decision making. Short-term Gain, Long-term Pain.

Catch everyone on the flip. Good luck to all and have fun out there.

Chris

Wow, unfricken believable. Did you ever stop to think that part of the reason for this party to post this ad in the first place was to cause a stir and maybe ruffle a few feathers. I'll tell you that the guy who placed this ad probably just got a slap on the back and maybe a high five from his boss/partners. This forum is well known and has a large dedicated membership and is a excellent and free resource for all of us and our issues. We don't always agree but if this website were to fail or faulter in any way because of this controversy then it would definitely be a victory for them. I do look at other sites but this one is still my favourite, and I know that me posting reports does not pay the bills. When you read a free newspaper do you agree with all the ads, probably not but the ads pay the bills and thats the way it works. I think a mistake was made and hopefully things will work out but we all don't have to cut off our noses to spite our faces. Take a step back and take a breath and move forward. BRS

Wow, unfricken believable. Did you ever stop to think that part of the reason for this party to post this ad in the first place was to cause a stir and maybe ruffle a few feathers.
I think it wasn't the add that got people sooooo mad it is the way the admin is handling it if they would just delete it for all not just the group that are members then all would be resolved but when nothing is done about it all since thursday thats where the problem has arised from.

OK I finally saw the ad, I couldnt see it before. I thought it was some commercial halibut fisherman posting their quota for sale to recreational fisherman. This is the DFO's answer to the Halibut allocation problem and now I understand why you (Holmes and others) are pissed off. I'm not gonna touch this one. BRS

Just edited this photo really quick to attach to my signature so that it will show up in every post that I have ever made here. A quick and easy way to spread the word and get the point across that we are PO'ed.

attachment.php

Still waiting for a response from the site owners to see what the solution will be.

What is it with you Fish-Hunter?

You certainly have a hard-on for this issue, which is ok, but it's getting the better of you.

C & P from my response on the thread in the Conservation Section:

We note, with no surprise, the response to the IQMI ad that was posted on our site yesterday. When the ad was submitted (it was not solicited), we were well aware that it would be contentious, given the previous discussions that had taken place around this issue on the Forum. (Yes, we do spend a lot of time reading your posts on a daily basis).

You knew it would be contentious (not nearly a strong enough word in my opinion), you were well aware of the stance on this latest travesty by the government by pretty well every single long term member on this site, you knew that by running the ad you would be directly pissing off most that have contributed so earnestly towards making this Forum the success it was, and yet you chose to run with it regardless? That, to me, spells a complete lack of respect for those who make this place what it is. And that DISGUSTS me as much or even more than the fact that the ad was run in the first place. Unbelievable!

The entrepreneurs availing themselves of opportunity are not the ones at fault here. That the 88-12 allocation is in place is patently wrong. That there are quota holders who don’t own a boat is patently wrong. But it’s not their fault that they hold and exercise those quotas, it’s the fault of the Federal Government, and particularly Fisheries and Oceans Canada, that enable them to do so.

Yes, this mess lies directly at the feet of DFO. Given. However your presumption that "The entrepreneurs availing themselves of opportunity are not the ones at fault here" is completely off the wall. The program is fraught with serious problems, and yet DFO continues to push for it's success. We cannot allow them the belief that this ******** works for ANY of us whatsoever! Anyone who buys in directly contravenes the entire recreational sector as a whole by doing so, in effect selling us all out in their greed driven consideration of the Self. Any who do buy in do so at their own peril, as you can clearly see, peer pressure amongst sport anglers can be a very powerful issue. Thus contrary to what you would have us think, those that are considering supporting this fool's pursuit are indeed very much at fault here!

We appreciate and share your passion for sport fishing and the many businesses it supports.

Actions speak much louder than words Peter. And your actions in this regard indicate a complete lack of respect for your fellow anglers and, in turn, the many businesses we support. I am pretty much nauseated by your behavior in this matter, placing a few coins at a higher priority than the views and concerns of the vast majority of this site's members.

I have tamed this down substantially from my original response, yet you can still clearly determine my stance from what I have written. I advise you to immediately delete the ad from your site, and to present a written apology here to all members and not simply attempt to defend your obviously poor choice in this matter.

You can sign me off as One Ticked Off SOB! :mad:
Matt

What is it with you Fish-Hunter?

You certainly have a hard-on for this issue, which is ok, but it's getting the better of you.

Yeah, sorry man. But I gotta tell you, (as you can already tell) this issue has me furious, my blood is boiling, and I am pretty damned frustrated. I will just be on the sidelines until the dust settles.

Once again, sorry if any of you are annoyed by my responses, but I think that there are a lot of people that feel much the same as myself, and have just packed up and left. Don't want to see this great forum fade out but....

I'll go sit in the corner for a bit and calm down.:)

Great post Matt.

I have been listening and reading and finally decided to post on this issue:

I have heard SFBC's excuse as to why they went ahead and chose to run the halibut quota ad on SFBC site and while I understand why they may have chosen that route, in my opinion I believe SFBC made a mistake when choosing to run the ad. Hopefully they will realize, that no matter how tough a decision it was for them, they made a mistake. Hopefully they will reverse it and take down the ad. The healing process could then begin.

SFBC is a site for sport fisherman and the ad in question goes directly and strongly against the beliefs of these sport fishers (as site members and advertisers on the site). The fact SFBC administration agrees that 88/12 is wrong and the fact that many quota holders are without boats is wrong, likely wouldn't ever be a reason for them to change their minds about running an ad like this, however, lost dollars might. Essentially what has happened is the admin has 'sold out' to one advertiser and in doing so have ignored many forum members and many other advertisers. Understandibly there will be a loss of respect and trust of SFBC due to these actions. Is it any surprise that members feel back-stabbed and now will be going elsewhere for their fishing forum activities? What should be even a bigger concern for SFBC administration is just how much loss in their revenue could occur from their actions? The lost dollars in advertising from sport fishing and related businesses could be substantial.

After much consideration and consultation with business enterprises in the sport fishing industry, we have decided to remove the ad regarding the brokerage of halibut quota. This decision, while taking longer than many of you may have liked, required a period of due diligence on our part. We respect the fact that it is everyone's right to choose sides on controversial positions like the 88/12 decision, and as stated earlier, we do not agree with the Federal Government’s allocation of the resource. However, we hope that you would also respect that it is a dangerous precedent for an advertising medium such as ours, to disallow someone with a contrary viewpoint their space in our publication, whether it is paid advertising or in our free forum. Free speech, as it turns out, sometimes comes with a price and today we have made a business decision to align ourselves with the many other businesses in the industry who, we discovered, are quietly putting their money and other resources into the fight against the quota.

We would like to personally thank our moderator, Last Chance, for his input and maintaining the forum in a professional manner. It isn't always easy but always appreciated.

In closing, we would like to ask that as always, please use this forum for what it is intended…a place to share ideas, information and express your opinions on a wide range of topics, provided of course the rules of the forum are applied. We have never censored anyone unless a post was slanderous, inappropriate, or extremely personal in its nature. This will be the last post we will make on this topic. We know you will carry on commenting on this topic and many others, and we respect and appreciate the passion, information, humour and camaraderie that you share on our forum.

Hi all, I have heard of the issue on this site around the fishing community and thought I would see for myself. A sad sight it is, but not unexpected given human nature and the world today. People "sell out" every day.

I do have an idea and opinion to share regarding initially accepting this advertisers money and allowing them to promote their interests on your site... Good on you for making this decision to remove the ad, it's a late move but likely the smart one considering the backlash you see on your site. It is not a precedent however...

There are many successful and popular fishing websites around that manage to pay their bills, promote the sport and work towards protecting our resources in many different ways each and every day. These sites are nonprofit and run for the good of the sport, without ulterior motives/money in mind. As expected, I have not seen this ad on the sites I frequent and am glad for it. I place my support behind those who run these sites for many reasons of course, not the least of which is their unselfish commitment to the resource. That is a responsibility all "sportfishing" websites should recognize, much as the local tackle shops and each and everyone one of us as anglers on the water should strive to maintain as well.

Integrity is everything.

Signed:

"Still disappointed, but I hope you learn from this and recognize your responsibilities in your future decisions"

Back