Halibut Quota Ad on SportfishingBC Home page - Still there!

After much consideration and consultation with business enterprises in the sport fishing industry, we have decided to remove the ad regarding the brokerage of halibut quota. This decision, while taking longer than many of you may have liked, required a period of due diligence on our part. We respect the fact that it is everyone's right to choose sides on controversial positions like the 88/12 decision, and as stated earlier, we do not agree with the Federal Government’s allocation of the resource. However, we hope that you would also respect that it is a dangerous precedent for an advertising medium such as ours, to disallow someone with a contrary viewpoint their space in our publication, whether it is paid advertising or in our free forum. Free speech, as it turns out, sometimes comes with a price and today we have made a business decision to align ourselves with the many other businesses in the industry who, we discovered, are quietly putting their money and other resources into the fight against the quota.

We would like to personally thank our moderator, Last Chance, for his input and maintaining the forum in a professional manner. It isn't always easy but always appreciated.

In closing, we would like to ask that as always, please use this forum for what it is intended…a place to share ideas, information and express your opinions on a wide range of topics, provided of course the rules of the forum are applied. We have never censored anyone unless a post was slanderous, inappropriate, or extremely personal in its nature. This will be the last post we will make on this topic. We know you will carry on commenting on this topic and many others, and we respect and appreciate the passion, information, humour and camaraderie that you share on our forum.

Thank you gentlemen. Thank you very much! I would like to apologize for going off, but as you can tell this issue (Halibut Quota and or leasing of it) is very serious to me, and it really shook me to see the SFBC support it in any fashion. From my bias standpoint, I believe that you made the right decision by removing the ad.
THANK-YOU!

I would like to apologize for going off

I am not quite so forgiving. Thus I am not ready to apologize for anything I said in this regard. Yes, we all make mistakes. But as Peter already noted, he KNEW this would be a problem before he did it, and yet still carried on. I still feel slighted. And I see no real apology in what he has subsequently written. I am pleased that he (finally) made the right decision to pull that damn affronting ad. But I am in NO WAY sorry for my position on running it in the first place.

Water under the bridge at this point, and I am willing to let it die a natural death...

Nog

I am not quite so forgiving. Thus I am not ready to apologize for anything I said in this regard. Yes, we all make mistakes. But as Peter already noted, he KNEW this would be a problem before he did it, and yet still carried on. I still feel slighted. And I see no real apology in what he has subsequently written. I am pleased that he (finally) made the right decision to pull that damn affronting ad. But I am in NO WAY sorry for my position on running it in the first place.

Water under the bridge at this point, and I am willing to let it die a natural death...

Nog

I hear ya Nog, just trying to take the high road after my rants in the last couple of days,,, like you say water under the bridge, we got met half way, so now it is time to carry on. What else can you do?

FH

The mistake has been corrected and the decision to pull the ad is much appreciated no matter how it all came about. Thanks to all the members who wrote about how they felt and the advertisers who spoke their word. This all assisted in producing the the correct result . Let the healing begin.

However, we hope that you would also respect that it is a dangerous precedent for an advertising medium such as ours, to disallow someone with a contrary viewpoint their space in our publication, whether it is paid advertising or in our free forum. Free speech, as it turns out, sometimes comes with a price and today we have made a business decision to align ourselves with the many other businesses in the industry who, we discovered, are quietly putting their money and other resources into the fight against the quota.

I do not respect that it is a dangerous precedent. This is SPORTfishingbc...it is a dangerous precedent towards the longevity of the traffic on this site to make such a short sighted decision. Capitalistic thinking doesn't always equal common sense.

Kudos to last chance; if it weren't for people like him on here you may well have just put a fork in this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nog

Sorry but i have spent my last advertising dollar here. They knew what they were doing when they started all this.

I think we have all made some bad decisions in life and business. It's not the mistake that matters as much as being able to acknowledge it and move forward. I would say we all just move forward amicably and let the past be the past, and hope we have all learned from it.

Not to mention for those of you who are truly slighted by all of this. We all owe you thanks!! If many of you weren't so passionate about this sport, this site never would have turned out to be as well done and informative as you have made it. I appreciate it greatly and I'm sure there are alot of others who share my sentiments when it comes to the work you have all done.

Thanks,

Mike

Back