Halibut in Nootka

pinball90

OK, so I know it's a little late in the year to be asking this, and I have read on about some places to try, however, I'm a total gorbie when it come to Halis. I will be up in Nootka next week, (20-23) and am looking for someone that can tell me a thing or two about how to catch these guys. I have some gear (spreader bars, grub jigs, a mudraker or two) I just have no clue how to go about getting a hali. I don't have an anchor system, so it's drifting for me. If there's anyone out there with some helpful info, or better yet, someone that will be up there that weekend that wouldn't mind showing a guy around the outside, I'd certainly appreciate the help! thanks in advance!

An easy way to get them in Nootka is to just troll for them. Head northwest from the light for a few miles and start trolling. There's lots of sandy bottom and we've always done well just dragging bottom with big bait, 150-200'. This is for chickens of course.

For the bigger fish you'll need to anchor or get lucky drift jigging.

Last edited by a moderator:
An easy way to get them in Nootka is to just troll for them. Head northwest from the light for a few miles and start trolling. There's lots of sandy bottom and we've always done well just dragging bottom with big bait, 150-200'. This is for chickens of course.

For the bigger fish you'll need to anchor or get lucky drift jigging.
Which light are you talking about?

I think he may have meant lighthouse...

Friendly cove lighthouse? Kinda hard to head Northwest from the there? Or is it the light further north up Ferrer way?
Just curious

Sorry, I meant friendly cove lighthouse. I assumed it was northwest but I guess that's not the case. Head outside from there as if you're going to bajo..... Find sand 150-200. I don't have any secrets spots just troll for a bit and you should get a chicken, if not move around a bit as it usually happens pretty quick if you're near them. If you're after larger halibut I would try your luck jigging or something. Good luck

That makes sense now. We trolled along the bottom on the way to Bajo and picked up a 25 pound halibut in 85 feet of water. Also got Lings and springs in the same area so pretty nice fishery along there!

You can always get lucky drifting.

Took a 50+ at Swiftsure chicken ranch the other weekend.

Must have dropped the bait on the unlucky fishes head..

Back