Halibut bait or lure of choice

Deep cove had lots herring this year buckets and buckets so ,next year look for the run it's a timing thing but there will be there next year .

Another vote for humboldt. If I've got it in the arsenal, it's one of the first things on my hooks. Mackerel and salmon bellies are close...

Ask a Californian and he'll say: ...."everywhere...." (they're being overrun by them as they move up the coast from South Am)

There are commercial quantities available---it sells as a cheap Octo substitute to the commie fleet---not sure if any sports-bait distributors carry it. Maybe Derby will chime in....

Herring outfished salmon bellies ... 3-0 yesterday for us

Yup, halibut don't always want a huge slab of meat - sometimes just a 6-8" herring is the perfect bait. Try going smaller and simpler, a lot of guys go too crazy with bait thinking more is better.

Ask a Californian and he'll say: ...."everywhere...." (they're being overrun by them as they move up the coast from South Am)

There are commercial quantities available---it sells as a cheap Octo substitute to the commie fleet---not sure if any sports-bait distributors carry it. Maybe Derby will chime in....

5 miles off cape beale 3 years ago, caught a few jigging for hali,, i thinks elnino bring em up

We use Herring if were jigging with spreader bare . We also hog tie herring to the hook's with fishing line.
Makes it hard to get bait off hooks. Somtimes use Trout sent. Also troll white glow in the dark hoochie or a wonderbread coyote spoon. 2.4-2.7 MPH
We caught 3 Hali 2 weekend's ago 7 miles out front of Ukee . 40lb 30lb 20lb
Tasty tasty !!
Slickwater.

Haven't had any requests for it todate so really haven't looked into it..perhaps I should... :)

Salmon bellies fresh are my preference, octopy and herring tied on, of coarse, scent trailer attractor may shorten your stay if stationary anchored.

Good luck to you

HT

Last edited by a moderator:
fresh pilchards jigged the night before in a salted brine to get the job done quickly. whole coho head when dogs are a problem and when targeting big ones.

Salmon bellies were the ticket yesterday at the chicken ranch. Nothing big (25-42) but we were done fast.

Actually had some good luck with hali skin this morning. Usually use octopus or salmon belly, but thought I would try the skin....it worked.

Cheers

SS

Up here is Haida Gwaii I find that Herring and anchovie can be sucked off the hook by those flatties...... I use the old parts from previous hailbuts, salmon and cod seems to be the best!!!! The skin is super tough so you never have to wonder if you are fishing with no bait which is brutal sometimes in the deeper waters as you don't want to be bringing your line up 200 + feet to check....that hets old quick!!! my $0.02

SS31

The more fresh scent the better. You can get lucky sometimes but it takes more work than people think. Keep trying different baits and different scents until they start biting.

Home-made jig using a 6" piece of chrome 3/4" steel hex stock with a glow skirt on it soaked overnight in herring or anchovy goo.
Also kills large lings.

Up here is Haida Gwaii I find that Herring and anchovie can be sucked off the hook by those flatties...... I use the old parts from previous hailbuts, salmon and cod seems to be the best!!!! The skin is super tough so you never have to wonder if you are fishing with no bait which is brutal sometimes in the deeper waters as you don't want to be bringing your line up 200 + feet to check....that hets old quick!!! my $0.02

SS31

No kidding. Down here we are typically fishing 500-600 feet offshore so it's a must to keep your gear fishing. That miracle thread/stretchy string works great to help keep your bait on also.

Do u use spreader bars or just weight and hook set up with your hearing or ?
Also how long are leaders off spreader and behind weight / hook set up

Back