Using shorecrab as bait for cabezon?

e1234

I would like to target cabezon specifically, and not just have them as bycatch when going after lings and rockfish.

Whats the regulations on using shore crabs as bait for cabezon?
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s19-eng.html#of-rest
From this here you can retain them, I dont see any info on people eating them. Other than a racerocks post about them commonly carrying parasites.
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/finfish-peche-eng.html#gear
I only see regulations pertaining to using fish as bait?

Either I'm missing something or its allowed? I'd like to see how dropping some of the bigger 3cm+ shore crabs would do for catching cabbies.

You can catch a Cabezon by literally using a sinker with a bare hook on it no need to overthink things.

You can catch a Cabezon by literally using a sinker with a bare hook on it no need to overthink things.
not really overthinking it, I know they can be caught with anything. They are bycatch of basically all bottom fish. But I want to target them, they eat crab and shellfish. So is it legal to use shore crabs as bait?

not really overthinking it, I know they can be caught with anything. They are bycatch of basically all bottom fish. But I want to target them, they eat crab and shellfish. So is it legal to use shore crabs as bait?
The way it was explained to me is: "If it's legal to harvest and not being wasted you can use it."
Crab are regulated.

The way it was explained to me is: "If it's legal to harvest and not being wasted you can use it."
Crab are regulated.
So as long as I'm using it as bait its not being wasted? Kind of a take what you need and don't have a bunch of dead unused left over?

So as long as I'm using it as bait its not being wasted? Kind of a take what you need and don't have a bunch of dead unused left over?
Phone DFO like I did. You'll probably get another version of the same thing. 🤔😆

I had a real interesting conversation with DFO a few weeks ago about fishing with live bait. Came down to discretion of the CO. Had a tough time getting a straight answer between what is ethical and what is legal. We were not talking crabs we were talking live bait for Lings. In the end he told me it would be OK for me to use live sand dabs but not live cod. Still sounds like both are legal but one was unethical. Fishing live bait is not illegal. Wasting edible fish is. So you are probably fine with shore crabs. ?? Unless you run into a Crabby CO.

Back