Central/North Coast/Haida Gwai Lodge thoughts or personal experiences????

Pippen

Hey Guys,

In light of the thread on Naden Lodge I thought I'd ask for some advice.

My Dad is looking to head out to the coast next summer from MB to do what he is calling a "fishing trip of a lifetime". There will be he and I as well as a friend from Comox of his that I have known for years and his 2 sons coming from Calgary. Haven't seen the father and sons for years and years so it is kind of a reunion of sorts as well but a trip my Dad has always wanted to do.

I threw out the options of either heading to Tofino/Ucluelet or even Port Hardy OR the idea of heading north up the coast to a lodge to be fully catered. Seeing as this is a special trip for all they have opted to make do the "lodge" thing and looking at various ideas. I think they also kind of want to be at a lodge for more of the "secluded" aspect rather than staying in a town.

I was thinking of the Haida Gwai and there are a few that come to mind that I have friends who have stayed at.
  • West Coast Fishing Club - http://westcoastfishingclub.com/ (a few friends have fished here and rave about it)
  • Queen Charlotte Lodge (had buddies who stayed on the Driftwood and had a blast)
  • Possibly Langara as through a contact I may be able to get a bit of a deal but that remains to be seen.
Was also thinking Central Coast and the idea of Rivers or Shearwater?
  • Duncanby in Rivers Inlet
  • Shearwater?
  • Hakai?
I really don't know too much about places on the north coast (or central coast for that matter) other than Dolphins North? I liked the look of Naden Lodge from the other thread but again there is the desire to be away from "civilization".

My Dad has fished on the ocean many years ago in Alaska (only about 1 or 2 days) and his friend and sons have fished a few times out of Hardy so I am thinking seasickness isn't something I will have to worry about, but you just never know until you get the guys out there.

I think there may be the need for guides for the father and his 2 sons but I also don't have an issue myself as to be self guided and show the old man what I have learned out here on the coast. ;) In saying that I have no issue with being guided either so as to take the pressure off and make it a great catered trip in all aspects.

Lodge amenities, food etc are all going to be a factor in determining where to go as well. My one concern is that I would almost like the option if the seas/wind/swell were bad that we could still be able to fish in somewhat protected waters. I would hate to have my Dad travel all this way only to be blown off the water which is also one of the reasons I am kind of steering away from the WCVI. I have fished over there for years and don't mind the "combat fishing" if the seas are a rockin' but would really hate to have that ruin a holiday my Dad has talked about for a number of years now.

I also know that there are LOTS of "hidden gems" in various locales including some of the floating lodges and OBMG has some places as well.

Anyone have any experiences or thoughts they may be able to share? I just got an e-mail from my Dad yesterday saying "so what is happening and do we know where we are going???" :eek: I figured I should get my butt in gear and get this process moving.

Thanks guys for any insight/options or help you can provide. :)

I get seasick central coast is great you can always find sheltered water. I bring my own boat and stay in the shearwater area. Last year the chinooks were slow but brought home our limit of chinooks and coho anyways! The year before that I got a 53lbs chinook on aug 18th in milbank sound!

I have fished out of Shearwater many times and recommend you try it.
Pluses in MHO: boats - 60hp ones will go 32+mph, canvas tops over your head, downriggers
Location - inner and outer water in two dif directions to choose from so weather is less a factor, McInnes Is or the bottom of the Goose group is about as far out that ANY lodge goes
Local guides - most of the full time guides are residents of the Milbanke area, not seasonal imports
Direct flight into lodge from South Terminal - no transfer time for float plane or heli - you're fishing 1.5 hrs after you land on Denny Is.
AND... always had a good time

I experienced the central coast for the first time this past summer and I can't wait to go back... My vote goes to Shearwater. Extremely nice people there, options with regards to boat size and fishing locations and I found the Shearwater setting and history to be interesting.

Can anyone comment on Westwind Tugboat adventures?? I'd think they can offer a secluded trip.

From what I saw, WCR's looked decent too. They certainly dominate Cheney Point, which is a good and bad thing... You'll be one of like 30 or more boats

I can provide info on the Canadian Shore if needed but its a little different than what you're interested in I think.

I experienced the central coast for the first time this past summer and I can't wait to go back... My vote goes to Shearwater. Extremely nice people there, options with regards to boat size and fishing locations and I found the Shearwater setting and history to be interesting.

Can anyone comment on Westwind Tugboat adventures?? I'd think they can offer a secluded trip.

From what I saw, WCR's looked decent too. They certainly dominate Cheney Point, which is a good and bad thing... You'll be one of like 30 or more boats

5 years ago that would have been 120 boats...3 less lodges there today...... :)

The Canadian shores is a cool setup I seen it last year near shearwater. The tug boat deal is around $5000 a head for a week and and the boats I saw didn't even have downriggers on them.. Seems to me the tug boat is cool but not the best option if your a hardcore fisherman. If you have your own boat launch in Bella coola or hardy and boat there best bet and your on your own boat which is way better IMHO!

5 years ago that would have been 120 boats...3 less lodges there today...... :)

I see... So what I thought was a crowd was actually a free for all lolol.... Well that's another reason to go to the central coast then IMO. ;)

The Canadian shores is a cool setup I seen it last year near shearwater.
The boat has ridiculous potential for exploring the BC coast as it has been just about everywhere in the past 10 or so years under its former ownership. New ownership is trying to make a go of the bare boat charter thing........

You should give adam canning a call and chat with him about the WCFC outpost. I guided up there for 3 seasons, the last being with adam. If you want the true west coast remote expereice with a small lodge setting (max 12 guests) and really nice gear then seriously consider the outpost. The best time of the year to hit it for both numbers and size of fish are the last 2 weeks of july and first 2 weeks of august. The chinook fishing is excellent with double digit days being pretty commom. Also I can say without hesitation that this area has THE BEST halibut fishing on out coast. I have also guided in whale channel and milbanke sound for a number of years, timing is more critcal there but you will have a good crack at a large fish. On the central coast you are not going to see the numbers like the west side of the charlottes, there will be more boats as well.

Back