Gold River launch to Tahsis.

Califbill

Seeng the Westview Marina bring your own boat offer. Since I do not really want to tow the boat over 75km of bad road, how far and long is the trip from Gold River to Westview? Other places to stay?

From the ramp at the old mill site in Gold River(paved all the way) by boat to Tahsis is about 1 1/2 hrs. 35 minutes to Camel Rock and the rest down Tahsis Inlet. Leave the ramp in the early morning and you will likely have a flat calm ride the entire way and do any speed the boat is capable of.

What Profiteer said. Be aware though, that returning from Tahsis to Gold River in the afternoon can be a bit of a ride if the tides and winds aren't friendly in the Muchalet Inlet (and they usually aren't). The road was in pretty good shape last year in April. I ran my boat up from Gold River but had to bring it back down on the road due to a mechanical problem on the boat. I'd want to have some recent road reports before I did it again, though.

I prefer to go by boat-easy inside ride most days-come back in the morning or evening-I can launch a 24 ft Skagit at gold river on a 4 ft tide-I prefer 6 but 4 is doable-never had any problems at the storage place as far as theft and I have been going for 20 years,

It is almost 40 miles exactly from GR launch to Tahsis by water. Launch early and hopefully at a higher tide as GR ramp is not the best unless they have improved it since I was there several years ago.

Yes is approx a 90 minute run, but, its a nice 90 minute run normally in very calm protected water unless you do it in the afternoon. The launch in Gold River is not the best. Its very steep and you have to ensure the tide is at the 3 foot level at least in order to navigate safely out the river by the float plane dock (my 23 footer is fine in 3 ft). Also, you will often wait to launch and pull your boat out. But, parking inside the compound is safe as there is someone onsight 24/7. Personally I've driven the Tahsis road without a boat and would not look forward to doing it with a trailer behind me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst part about towing down a gravel road is you arrive and the first thing you need to do is get all the road dust out of the boat. I can't fish from a dirty boat.that just bugs me. When I ran down to Chinootka Lodge in the past after a 40 minute run I would get my bait into their freezers right away, top up the tank with the few jerry cans I had with me, get a fish report from Bruce, pick up the first guests from Cougar Creek at noon and be out fishing by 1pm after a quick lunch. Easy and no mess or fuss.

I was just there the road is the best I've seen it in 5 years, no problem towing a boat in there. 2 graders working and depending on the time of year it wasn't dusty at all. Closer to summer its ridiculously dusty and washboard starts showing up.

Yep- on the G.R to Tahsis road yesterday.Like it has been said it is better than ever. Over the past few years the road has been widened, straightened, 3 new bridges, at this very moment the tightest turn on the whole road is being straighten out. The road is Approx. 60% seal coated Now- with more scheduled this summer. The road used to be pickups only now lots of small car & everything from $300K Motor Homes to Smart cars. There are a few variables to consider when pulling a boat. Enough HP to pull the grades ( all grades but 1 are ow seal coated ) & July & Aug. will be dusty on the unsealed parts of the road.
Running the boat up is a easy run in mostly all inside waters. Recommend, as other have, do both runs in the morning Muchalat Inlet is not fun after the late morning winds gets up.
We tow lots of boats in & out. If they are 30ft+ we usually go by water. Choice is up to you.
See you soon the Salmon season is looking very GOOD & the Prawning & Halibut fishing/catching started already & is Very Strong. See resent Pictures. View attachment 16852View attachment 16853View attachment 16854

#1 Scotty & Gary with their daily Limits of Prawns caught yesterday
#3 Early birds Graeme and Mike with there catch of spotted prawns caught today
#2 Glenda with her very first Halibut catch. Caught at the Whales Tail at the month of Esperanza Inlet last wkend.
FOJ

Not to beat this to death, but the run in from Nootka to gold River down Muchalat inlet is a choppy, sloppy nasty piece of business. My boat is in shambles along side my nerves when I finally get in. Heed the warnings above and go early morning or late late afternoon. The winds pick up and make that water mean. I have a 17' boat mind you.

I run a 26' and I for sure pay attention to what experienced inlet runners advise. Early morning or late evening and most times have a nice smooth run.

Either way will work. The road is in great shape right now. For myself I normally will launch or retrieve the boat at Gold River if it is out of peak season. Otherwise I tow the logging toad. The launch at Gold River is a gong show July and August. People always seem super unprepared at the launch in Gold River and having such a narrow channel and being tide dependent makes it even more difficult. I got into it with some fellow boaters a couple years ago after I passed them in the channel and drove onto my trailer that had driven around from Thasis. My truck and trailer were on the non dock side and I just motored onto the trailer clipped the winch strap on and pulled out. Took a whole 4 minutes to complete the whole thing but I had a lot of people yelling (swearing) at me as I went by. What they did not realize was that I didn't even need to drop anyone off at the dock. My truck and trailer were there waiting for me.
That is the beauty of a handheld VHF with the truck driver is that you can coordinate when you are both there.

If you care about your boat and trailer you shouldn't drag it along that logging road for 70km I think it is. The road is in decent shape at the beginning of the season but they stop maintaining it in the summer so it just gets worse and worse. End of last season the road was absolutely garbage, worse than a lot of haul roads. Make sure to bring jacks and spare tires if you do decide to take that road.

I am in full agreement with the guys who suggest launching at Gold River and running the inlet keeping in mind the early morning or late evening guideline. However what we do is to go as far as Friendly Cove and fish around the Cove for the evening, spend the night on the boat and fish the next morning. Now you have 2 options if the water is calm you can go the outside route to Esperenza and fish all the way or if the weather will not co-operate then run up the Tahsis inlet. Either way your trailer will thank you

Back