Zeballos or Tahsis or Gold River

Doubletyee

I am planning a trip this weekend and need advice. I am pulling a 22 ft boat on a trailer and sleeping on the boat. I am really trying to control costs and keep gas use down. Gas costs in my truck are paid for but not boat gas costs.

Am I better to drive to Zeballos or Tahsis or just Gold River? Is there anywhere near Esperanza Inlet to tie onto to sleep for the night or do I have to anchor. In the past I have gone to Friendly Cove and either tied to the dock or anchored. Is it possible to tie onto the dock in Port Eliza and what would they charge? Don’t need a room or food. On a tight budget with Gas costs etc. thanks for your advice feel free to PM me if you prefer.

If you're heading to Esperanza the road to Gold River is paved but you need to watch the tides to launch and then you will go through a decent amont of gas in the boat to get to Esperanza. The road to Tahsis is usually crappy but the road to Zeballos is usually good gravel. I'd go to Zeballos to launch to save boat fuel. Port Eliza is really busy right now so Robert probably won't entertain you tying up at the dock. You could email or text him to be sure. If you're going on gravel, I'd cover your engine water intakes to keep the dust out.

If you're heading to Esperanza the road to Gold River is paved but you need to watch the tides to launch and then you will go through a decent amont of gas in the boat to get to Esperanza. The road to Tahsis is usually crappy but the road to Zeballos is usually good gravel. I'd go to Zeballos to launch to save boat fuel. Port Eliza is really busy right now so Robert probably won't entertain you tying up at the dock. You could email or text him to be sure. If you're going on gravel, I'd cover your engine water intakes to keep the dust out.
Drove the Head Bay FSR from Tahsis to Campbell River yesterday afternoon. It's in great shape, except for the 42km hill which is washboard. Dust control has been applied and most of the climb out of Gold River has been graded. Saw 3 p/u pulling boats heading to Moutcha Bay/Tahsis. Last 18km is all chip sealed.

Road into zebballos is usually in good shape. Fuel and basic groceries also available. Back side of Rosa island is a good Anchorage, and not a bad run if you have to run back for fuel to Zeballos. About 40 minutes or so if I recall.

Back