Gold River boat launch

Hey, I am just wondering what time the parking lot for boat trailers closes?I would be getting there around 7-730.

You will be fine... It opens at 5.30 AM every morning, and closes sometime around 9.30 or 10.00 PM every evening.

Well not sure how many there are, but, boat launch side of the sea plane float I noticed a large boulder last week. It was 50-75 feet approx from the sea plane float. Very large. As long as you don’t cut in close to the road side at the sea plane float you’ll miss that one.

Thanks Pescador! Chatter in the report thread today about staying right, but I recall that block comes into play during marginal launch conditions.

Well not sure how many there are, but, boat launch side of the sea plane float I noticed a large boulder last week. It was 50-75 feet approx from the sea plane float. Very large. As long as you don’t cut in close to the road side at the sea plane float you’ll miss that one.
I’m confused...if the rock 50x75 feet off the seaplane dock, you want to cut close to the dock or more to the outside of the channel until you get past the dock? Not sure what you mean by not cutting in close to the road side at the seaplane dock.

When coming into dock, by the time you get to the inside edge of the seaplane dock you should be in the middle or the channel. I was introduced to the damn rock about 12 years ago. Hard lesson, well remembered. Only cost me a rebuild on my prop. On a lower tide be mindful of the bottom everywhere.

I’m confused...if the rock 50x75 feet off the seaplane dock, you want to cut close to the dock or more to the outside of the channel until you get past the dock? Not sure what you mean by not cutting in close to the road side at the seaplane dock.

Always reluctant about offering advise on stuff like this cause it’s a bit confusing. If you stay mid channel/river you’ll be fine. That rock, which I’ve heard about for years, is sitting right off the float plane dock on the road side/boat launch side of the river. It’s not mid river. Let’s put it this way. If you launch your boat and head down the right side of the river heading directly at the float plane dock you’ll likely hit the rock then the dock. You don’t naturally take that route cause you’d hit the float Plane dock, but, sometimes a boat is coming up river or a float plane starts up and you look for a place to duck into. It looks like a safe spot. It’s not. Also, for clarity, I saw a rock. Who knows, maybe there are others. So do what I do. Motor up with prop barely in water on the main or use your kicker. That’s what I do. I’m just cautious.

Always reluctant about offering advise on stuff like this cause it’s a bit confusing. If you stay mid channel/river you’ll be fine. That rock, which I’ve heard about for years, is sitting right off the float plane dock on the road side/boat launch side of the river. It’s not mid river. Let’s put it this way. If you launch your boat and head down the right side of the river heading directly at the float plane dock you’ll likely hit the rock then the dock. You don’t naturally take that route cause you’d hit the float Plane dock, but, sometimes a boat is coming up river or a float plane starts up and you look for a place to duck into. It looks like a safe spot. It’s not. Also, for clarity, I saw a rock. Who knows, maybe there are others. So do what I do. Motor up with prop barely in water on the main or use your kicker. That’s what I do. I’m just cautious.

Yup ^^^^^great advice..
stay away from float plane dock

135876B8-5A26-4E40-B696-799BB318A4F6.png
Could someone put up Google map screen shot of the approx location of the rock please?

disclaimer. The rock I’ve seen is located where I pinned this map. There may be other hazards and remember that the river shifts and things change year to year. But this particular rock ain’t goin anywhere. The day we saw the rock the tide was very low at 3.5 ft.

Last edited:
View attachment 55102

disclaimer. The rock I’ve seen is located where I pinned this map. There may be other hazards and remember that the river shifts and things change year to year. But this particular rock ain’t goin anywhere. The day we saw the rock the tide was very low at 3.5 ft.

Thank you for the visual. That makes total sense how you described it before.

I will be launching on July 31. Low is 530 am at 0.5 metres. How many hours after the low before I should launch?

Thank you for the visual. That makes total sense how you described it before.

I will be launching on July 31. Low is 530 am at 0.5 metres. How many hours after the low before I should launch?

I think 0730 - 0800 is where you’ll need to wait till. You’re 1.5M at 0800 I always wait for 4 feet personally. Assuming you’re boat boat is 23 feet or under. If you’re like, 30 feet and draft 4 feet, well you’ll need to do your own math. Enjoy.

When coming into dock, by the time you get to the inside edge of the seaplane dock you should be in the middle or the channel. I was introduced to the damn rock about 12 years ago. Hard lesson, well remembered. Only cost me a rebuild on my prop. On a lower tide be mindful of the bottom everywhere.

got me too around 6 years ago. someone should go full ripple rock on that thing

I think 0730 - 0800 is where you’ll need to wait till. You’re 1.5M at 0800 I always wait for 4 feet personally. Assuming you’re boat boat is 23 feet or under. If you’re like, 30 feet and draft 4 feet, well you’ll need to do your own math. Enjoy.
Thanks, and if I wanted to launch in the evening around 5-6 pm I should be good with a low tide at 345 pm at 2.0 metres?

How are the winds around 6 pm?

Thanks, and if I wanted to launch in the evening around 5-6 pm I should be good with a low tide at 345 pm at 2.0 metres?

Depends on the day-they may be calming down but the morning is the best bet. I have had to sleep in my boat in the parking lot once!!

Anything 1.5 meters plus is perfect with say up to 25 feet. Usually afternoons have a westerly inflow down Muchalat Inlet. It can get a bit snotty with short waves and ripping winds coming down the inlet. It’s normally manageable but you’ll definitely spill your coffee. Once you get up 4 miles or so and make a right turn towards Nootka it’ll start settling down a bit. It’s the first 15 minutes that’s the worst. Keep your eyes open for debris around the old mill area. There’s not a lot but there can be the odd log.

Im heading to Tuta for 2 weeks after the August long, currently rocking Alberta plates.

Should i even bother trying to launch at the mill?

How is the road this year to Tuta?

Im heading to Tuta for 2 weeks after the August long, currently rocking Alberta plates.

Should i even bother trying to launch at the mill?

How is the road this year to Tuta?

GR launch will ask you if you’re from BC. They asked us both trips. If you’ve got Alta plates they’ll probably ask you where you’re from. Not sure what they’ll do but my guess is they might not allow you to launch. Now, just because you’ve got Alta plates doesn’t mean you don’t live in BC....right.

Back