Hardwired dowriggers?

A-a-Ron

Thinking of scrapping the receptacles/plugs and just hardwiring my riggers. Sick of fixing corrosion etc. Security not an issue for me as I launch every time I go out and have locked covered storage.

Anyone else do this, or any reason why not to?

Thinking of scrapping the receptacles/plugs and just hardwiring my riggers. Sick of fixing corrosion etc. Security not an issue for me as I launch every time I go out and have locked covered storage.

Apparently you're supposed to unplug them when not in use. They can spontaneously combust.

its the plug that will start the fire .. I usually check my plugs every couple season to make sure the wires are not is loose .. Dielectric grease is a must :)

not to derail thread but my plugs are loose and sometimes they twist right out on their own. any fixes for this? new style plug btw

How about hardwire to a switch and bypass the plug if you want to hardwire. As long as it's fused should be ok.

This stuff used to be supplied with a scotty plug. Keep it all lubed and no more corrosion issues

Attachments

• 170295741888840597567392991559.jpg
    170295741888840597567392991559.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 70
Cheap version is to buy a tub of Vasoline - does the same thing for a LOT less $$. Also a good practice with Riggers is to wire them through a re-settable fuse - I trip the re-resettable fuse every time when the riggers are not in use. Few guys have had them burn up while running out in the morning or sitting tied up at the dock.

wire them to circuit 30/40-amp breakers doing away with the plug socket . job done as long as you can get the breakers tucked away from open weather elements..... flick 'em off when not in use.............................. my set up but gives you the idea ......i do have plug's and sockets but done away with fuse's and just using breakers IMG_0225.JPG

Last edited:
Cheap version is to buy a tub of Vasoline - does the same thing for a LOT less $$. Also a good practice with Riggers is to wire them through a re-settable fuse - I trip the re-resettable fuse every time when the riggers are not in use. Few guys have had them burn up while running out in the morning or sitting tied up at the dock.
Yup... love my re sesettable fuses.. I actually saw another guides boat 4 years plug start fire. He was about to get it out in time

Back