Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

I break off bracken that grows wild in the NW and put it on top of my garlic rows and has worked yearly for 25 years

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-28 132134.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-28 132134.png
    922 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231028_132729.jpg
    20231028_132729.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Yeah I use grass clippings and leaves
I'm planting a 4x8 bed this year. Waiting until tomorrow to avoid tonight's frost. What other types of mulch work? My wife is worried that the leaves will somehow promote mold or rot or something terrible. I think she just doesn't believe that anything free can possibly do any good. I just spent another $75!! On a yard of soil from Garden Works. FFS

Soil is made of organic matter. End of story.
Soil you purchase is usually just a bunch of dirt, sand, maybe organic matter, and anything else they have around sifted to look nice and fluffy.
Just mulched a 1000 garlic and a few hundred asparagus plants with grass clippings and leaves. Been doing it for years, no issues. I'll take any leaves any time, it's the best mulch you can get.

Soil is made of organic matter. End of story.
Soil you purchase is usually just a bunch of dirt, sand, maybe organic matter, and anything else they have around sifted to look nice and fluffy.
Just mulched a 1000 garlic and a few hundred asparagus plants with grass clippings and leaves. Been doing it for years, no issues. I'll take any leaves any time, it's the best mulch you can get.
Thank you

I'm planting a 4x8 bed this year. Waiting until tomorrow to avoid tonight's frost. What other types of mulch work? My wife is worried that the leaves will somehow promote mold or rot or something terrible. I think she just doesn't believe that anything free can possibly do any good. I just spent another $75!! On a yard of soil from Garden Works. FFS
Straw or hay makes good mulch too, but leaves are free. Check out MyGardenBag on Grandview by the Italian Cultural Centre for soil. They have a great organic veggie mix, and a skidsteer scoop is like $35 if you have a truck. Works out to around half a yard. A full yard is something like $65.

Straw or hay makes good mulch too, but leaves are free. Check out MyGardenBag on Grandview by the Italian Cultural Centre for soil. They have a great organic veggie mix, and a skidsteer scoop is like $35 if you have a truck. Works out to around half a yard. A full yard is something like $65.
I go there often, I live in the area. Closed Sundays, unfortunately. Sounds like not too much less than what I paid.

I’ve seen many people use straw in hopes to avoid grass and weed seeds that might be in your grass clippings.

I’ve seen many people use straw in hopes to avoid grass and weed seeds that might be in your grass clippings.
If you use straw, you have to remove it before rototilling the next year. it is terrible and is hard to break down. I used it once and regretted it

Planted my garlic last week.

Today covered the garlic with leaves and then with an old potato sack so the leaves will not blow away.
I will remove the potato sack and leaves in late Feb, early March.

Attachments

• garlic planted 2023.jpg
    garlic planted 2023.jpg
    765.3 KB · Views: 11
  • garlic covered with leaves.jpg
    garlic covered with leaves.jpg
    881.3 KB · Views: 11
  • garlic covered with potato sack.jpg
    garlic covered with potato sack.jpg
    907.5 KB · Views: 11
Oh just two to three years and I'm ready to rock! Lol

I cut up the leaves with the lawn mower, put about 2 inch layer on and by june when i'm ready to harvest the garlic there's zero trace of the leaves. in the spring i fertilized every two weeks with a liquid fertilizer. When i planted i put bone meal or all purpose on top.

Like these?
Here they come! Yeah I know it's early. They'll stay under the lights until spring. I want them to have a good start.20231201_193051.jpg

Back