Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

The stuff we left in until the hard frost comes just keeps coming since we've had little frost or snow in the Okanagan. They aren't really growing, but storage is easier if it just stays in the dirt.
Celery, leeks, carrots, and beets from today.

Attachments

• IMG_20231219_120432792.jpg
    IMG_20231219_120432792.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20231219_115000083.jpg
    IMG_20231219_115000083.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 19
So just let it take its course and disregard ?

Depends...

If you live in an area that is going to see Hard frosts, I'd consider a Cold Frame.
While garlic is quite frost resistant, it can get nipped (which will slow it down) if it gets too cold for an extended period.

We always employ a cold frame and have never had an issue (quickly touching wood).

7Gv9Mz1.jpg

Looks to me like you could install something similar in short order if required...

Cheers,
Nog

Depends...

If you live in an area that is going to see Hard frosts, I'd consider a Cold Frame.
While garlic is quite frost resistant, it can get nipped (which will slow it down) if it gets too cold for an extended period.

We always employ a cold frame and have never had an issue (quickly touching wood).

7Gv9Mz1.jpg

Looks to me like you could install something similar in short order if required...

Cheers,
Nog
That’s sound advice cheers
We’re on the mainland Langley area and doesn’t seem like much of a winter (yet) . But if she does get a cold streak I’ll make something up

By those two reactions, should I still be concerned???
It will be fine in your Vancouver weather, but if you are looking at a prolonged freezing spell,(-5 for a few days) I would cover it as Nog suggested.
I usually wait until we've had a week of frost to plant my garlic, so that it doesn't take off like that. I have waited until mid December a couple of times with no noticeable effect on the crop.

It will be fine in your Vancouver weather, but if you are looking at a prolonged freezing spell,(-5 for a few days) I would cover it as Nog suggested.
I usually wait until we've had a week of frost to plant my garlic, so that it doesn't take off like that. I have waited until mid December a couple of times with no noticeable effect on the crop.
Good to know. I dumped a bunch of extra mulch on mine but I’ll probably have to do a cold frame if we get that weather

View attachment 101379
Looks like possibly some cold front comming next week . Might need to protect our garlic crops gents !
If it's only up two to three inches I wouldn't worry about it. But if you have long growth like RC, I would be concerned.

Back