Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

Breakin"even

Crew Member
Great gardening pics in the boredom relief thread. I thought garden pics and ideas might deserved it's own thread. These pics are of my beets and Romain Lettuce.

Attachments

• 20210406_180426.jpg
    20210406_180426.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210406_180510.jpg
    20210406_180510.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 97
Our peas, carrots, onions, beets, broccoli, lettuce and spinach are in the garden now.
Garlic went in in October. It and Rhubarb is poking up.
Potatoes can will go in pretty soon.
Cucumbers, beans and tomatoes about May 10. (may need to cover at night)
Peppers, squash, melons, and eggplant seem to do best if you wait for full heat, so early June.

Made some raised raised strawberry beds for GF used some Milled lumber from cedar I done 10 feet by 2 feet lined with some sand on bottom topped with fish/soil mix dirt, took her one day to slam 100 plants into it LOL be way easier on her back now....

1617803353999.png
No description available.

I've seen copper tape at the garden stores for slugs. Sluds and snails do not like to touch copper. A chemical reaction happens when they crawl over the metal, which causes unpleasant feelings on their skin. Therefore, they avoid moving over copper.

I go around and sprinkle a lil salt on the lil buggers, last year was the worst ive ever seen id nuke about a 100 at a time we have a 1/2 acre of yard so I pour me a nice rum and coke at the end of my fishing day and do a lil pest control, or else id put copper everywhere so thats not happening , but i will coil some copper wire areound it for a experiment...thanks for that tip awesome

My neighbour brought me some deck boards from a semi-trailer at his work. Free is good with the price of lumber.
They are rough white oak full 3" X 8" X 8'. Heavy and seem pretty rot resistant after a few seasons.
This method of build lets me pull the 4 long carriage bolts (pins really) to move them, plus since I need to pull my lake boat and trailer onto one bed through winter, I can tip one board down and make a slope out of soil rather than make a ramp or jack it over the 8". My 2 x 8 cedar boxes are getting pretty rotten after a dozen years.
The herring seine web keeps the quail out. They like to play in the dirt when it's dry. Some stuff is sprouting.

oak box.jpg

In Alberta we have to wait for the long weekend in May to plant. When we cancelled our trip to the coast last year that is exactly what we did. Had stopped gardening years earlier due to being hailed out three years in a row. Will plant again this year but a smaller garden because it is hoped we will be gone fishing LOL. We fed a bunch of families with this one... And it kept us busy I guess...

l65jTqTbR9Gb461QiCITdQ.jpgXyUAf94mQlaB8Fx570b0RA.jpgXJPcpov0R4S71Q2qH0nlDw.jpglTNPqAh0Sr25wogywIofdQ.jpg+ItpQhtwRtmn8%FRxOYr7Q.jpg8iTx7j0KTT+%9%JdPb5gOg.jpg

Anyone got an easy way to get moss out of grass
Just did mine last weekend. Moss killer, power rake, punch, lime, top dress, over seed. my not be the easy way but that's the way I did it.

Lime, iron, rake it out, over seed, get rid of the shade that is causing it. If you can't get rid of the shade you will have to do this almost every year.

Best thing you can do for starters is change the pH of your soil. Growing a nice stand of grass on the west coast is not always easy.
Our pH is typically low due to excessive rain and the presence of conifers. For a sandy loam soil your pH should be around 6.5. That allows the greatest uptake of nutrients by the grass plant. If your pH is too low, potentially 2/3rds of your available nutrients will be tied up and washed through the soil as nitrates. Low nutrient and low pH conditions are favoured by moss. You need to change the chemical makeup of the soil for any cultural practices to be of great use such as dethatching and aerating. However these are great additions to promote good root development and health to the grass plant.
you can get a decent soil test of your lawns soil for about $50-75 bucks. It is a decent investment if you look at all the time spent trying to have a good stand of grass. There are home kits as well that do work quite well for just establishing a pH factor.

Back