Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

Small hack, I busted out the beer pong kit and cut the bottoms out of the cups for drainage. LOL I've used these cups for 5 years and still going strong.

Attachments

• 20210410_102737.jpg
    20210410_102737.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 45
These really work. They have all kinds of sizes and quantity. They really cut down on fruit flies and leaf miners. hang them close to the beets etc

Sifting the compost

1618172478726.jpeg

amending the compost with all purpose fertilizer

1618172537148.jpeg

Placing the compost lol

1618172777435.png

Some lattice for the peas that are going in that the previous owner left in the shed

1618177200467.jpeg

carrots,peas,radish and onions went in.

1618191163523.png

Last edited:
Just did mine last weekend. Moss killer, power rake, punch, lime, top dress, over seed. my not be the easy way but that's the way I did it.

Question for you and Stizzla: What is this "punch" you speak of?

We have a problem area in our front yard. Soil has too much clay in it, so I am spreading new topsoil.
Would like to know what you folks are using to aerate (punch I think) after doing so...

Any and all advice would be right appreciated!

TIA!
Nog

Aerating Lawn.

We have a problem area in our front yard. Soil has too much clay in it, so I am spreading new topsoil.
Would like to know what you folks are using to aerate (punch I think) after doing so...

TIA!
Nog
I would Punch your lawn and top dress with coarse sand, Rake all that in then top dress with new soil. Your local tool rental place should rent Power Rakes and Power Aerator

Couple pictures from work for you A7187E29-1075-42EA-A64A-B3E48FE8B0BC.jpeg

Attachments

• 60DED9E5-6A22-4AD6-98E5-440A423C29C9.jpeg
    60DED9E5-6A22-4AD6-98E5-440A423C29C9.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 64EC9E87-CE53-4C2C-8584-0A4E44B6C432.jpeg
    64EC9E87-CE53-4C2C-8584-0A4E44B6C432.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 1226EEA1-05EB-4201-8B77-E57298E62506.jpeg
    1226EEA1-05EB-4201-8B77-E57298E62506.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 59

TIA!
Nog
An aerator is the machine you want for that. It’s usually around the same price to have someone do it for you, as it is to rent one. My back yard is so big I have a tow behind that I hook up to my tractor and put a buttload of weight on. Does the job.
then for you I would top dress with a layer of sand to help with drainage.

An aerator is the machine you want for that. It’s usually around the same price to have someone do it for you, as it is to rent one. My back yard is so big I have a tow behind that I hook up to my tractor and put a buttload of weight on. Does the job.
then for you I would top dress with a layer of sand to help with drainage.

The area in question here is around 20 feet by 10. Won't need a tow behind. I'll see what the local shop might have.

Got the dress with sand.

Thanks,
Nog

The area in question here is around 20 feet by 10. Won't need a tow behind. I'll see what the local shop might have.

Got the dress with sand.

Thanks,
Nog
Hey Nog,

you are best applying whatever your choice of medium it is in lifts...do not apply more than 1/2" at a time...you may cover up the crown of the grass plant and cause it's demise...sand will help your drainage, over time, but will not contribute to any other cultural benefits...adding a sand/organic mix can be very beneficial for a home lawn...top dressing after aeration as has been said is the way to go...even better is to remove the cores that you pull and then add your top dressing material and broom or rake it in...

Hey Nog,

you are best applying whatever your choice of medium it is in lifts...do not apply more than 1/2" at a time...you may cover up the crown of the grass plant and cause it's demise...sand will help your drainage, over time, but will not contribute to any other cultural benefits...adding a sand/organic mix can be very beneficial for a home lawn...top dressing after aeration as has been said is the way to go...even better is to remove the cores that you pull and then add your top dressing material and broom or rake it in...
x2 on the organics, Sand is beneficial for soil porosity in a heavy clay situation. Organic matter is key to keeping things going. There are several factors at play in a heavy clay soil. PH, aeration/sand, organic matter, nutrient/fertilizer. Fixing any one of these help, fixing all of them is a project

Adding the coarse sand after punching is to help with drainage. If your lawn is to wet moss will start to grow. It also helps with soil compaction. A way to tackle this is to take a garden fork every 4"-6" drive it in to the ground as deep as you can do or a power aerator. It also helps with with air to circulate to the roots which is a good thing
When the soil pH drops below 6.0 (becomes more acidic), certain nutrients needed for proper grass growth, such as nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and calcium, become unavailable. Lime can be applied to the soil to help increase the soil pH above 6.0.
I like to power Aerate the lawn first and rake all the cores up, than add the lime in with the sand to get it down in the soil and rake all that in. Than as Fish Brian says a good organic top dressing and then reseed over that at a rate of about 3-4 lbs per 1000sqft. Then drag a rake over it with just the weight of the rake to mix it in a bit and water it in only enough to keep it damp and not wash away.

I've been trying to find someone to do this type of lawn care but everyone just bails on me. Anyone on here that does this type of work let me know, I'm in South Surrey. Also, I've talked to a few landscapers and it seams that everyone has different opinions on what should be done on what not. What's up with that?

Back