Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

Honestly it would cost $$ if you want to hire someone to do every step. I'm bringing in a guy to do the aerating next week as its cost pretty close to the rental price of the machine but doing all the other steps myself.

Adding the coarse sand after punching is to help with drainage. If your lawn is to wet moss will start to grow. It also helps with soil compaction. A way to tackle this is to take a garden fork every 4"-6" drive it in to the ground as deep as you can do or a power aerator. It also helps with with air to circulate to the roots which is a good thing
When the soil pH drops below 6.0 (becomes more acidic), certain nutrients needed for proper grass growth, such as nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and calcium, become unavailable. Lime can be applied to the soil to help increase the soil pH above 6.0.
I like to power Aerate the lawn first and rake all the cores up, than add the lime in with the sand to get it down in the soil and rake all that in. Than as Fish Brian says a good organic top dressing and then reseed over that at a rate of about 3-4 lbs per 1000sqft. Then drag a rake over it with just the weight of the rake to mix it in a bit and water it in only enough to keep it damp and not wash away.
Remember to lime in the fall/ fertilize in the spring. If you fertilize and lime at the same time, the nitrogen in will bind to the lime and become unavailable to the grass.

Remember to lime in the fall/ fertilize in the spring. If you fertilize and lime at the same time, the nitrogen in will bind to the lime and become unavailable to the grass.
6 weeks between apps will be fine...some of the folks in my industry wait 2 weeks...cant say it enough...if you truly want a good stand of grass, soil sampling is crucial...Prescription without diagnosis is malpractice...just a little line I drop on my guys to remind them...no guessing, just the facts. Not the same application as a home yard but the idea is the same

With being regulated off the water here in vancouver to september first i just bought myself a toy that i would've spent on fishing tackle. I post up a pic later but ill keep you all in suspense for now lol.....

Garlic already pushing a foot tall:

HTsHGBM.jpg

All from last year's bulbil plantings.

This year's bulbils were planted around a week or so ago. Just now sticking their snouts out of the ground:

7jyA1AK.jpg

Over 20 degrees here today.
Expect the green show to kick right in now as a consequence...

Cheers,
Nog

My key to success is soil prep,

I get old produce from the local produce place (they leave boxes of it out back daily for people with pets etc. Basically they strip the greens of the outer leaves daily to keep all produce looking fresh..). This gets dug into soil in March.

Prawn heads!!!!!!! they get dug into all garden beds

I was a grass farmer LOONNGG before A&W thought grass fed beef was sexy
Those commercials **** me off. People blind taste testing a burger with grease on their chin saying it’s awesome, then the old dude actor with Botox saying it’s grass fed, then the people are all “good, because that’s important to me”
They still crushed the burger even though they thought at the time it was slaughtered from a 5’x3’ cage in a warehouse.

oh my god, I’ve been holding that in for years. Feels good to get in off my chest hahaha

With being regulated off the water here in vancouver to september first i just bought myself a toy that i would've spent on fishing tackle. I post up a pic later but ill keep you all in suspense for now lol.....

118 bucks from Home Depot.

1618698641319.jpeg

lawnmower that came with the house

1618698688991.jpeg

thatcher set up with no weight

1618698729154.jpeg

first pass with no weight

1618698760833.png

material that’s being pulled out

1618698838414.jpeg

Attachments

• 1618698792887.jpeg
    1618698792887.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 6
I put away the shovel (for turning over the garden) two years ago. Followed Dowdings' advice on feeding and covering the garden.
We have not bought greens since last spring (2019), neighbors are happy sharing the bounty. Photo February 5, 2021:
20210205_081129.jpg
Lots of tips at his site.

Last edited:
I was going to plant beens today when I ran into this chart on soil temp
for vegitables. My raised beds soil temp is 60 F right now, Bean seeds are
susceptible to rot. The chart says 65 F min, so I will wait. I'm planting Tendergreen
bush beans, they are simular to string beans you get at the grocery store and grow about 2 feet tall.
They say you should feed them a low nitrogen food as they produce there own nitrogen in the roots.1619029312940.png

Back