Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

Picked up a 6 pack of these,, should be a fun experiment

52876036641_7b18d07298_z.jpg
OH MAN !!!! remember use gloves when cutting and for god sakes dont wipe your brow from the sweat coming off when you start cutting. dont ask me how I know ok....

Warmer nights can’t come soon enough, things are starting to get over grown in the house.

We like to try something new each year, this year is sweet potato slips. Anyone here have success growing sweet potatoes? We’re on gabriola, south facing property.

What tomato do you have the best results with?
Last year the San Marzano L2 and Opalka did well so we put in more this year. Both are large indeterminate plum types for canning. Sun gold is a tasty prolific orange cherry tom. Most varieties grow well in the Okanagan if you get the watering right to prevent blossom end rot, and keep an eye out for hornworms.

Last year the San Marzano L2 and Opalka did well so we put in more this year. Both are large indeterminate plum types for canning. Sun gold is a tasty prolific orange cherry tom. Most varieties grow well in the Okanagan if you get the watering right to prevent blossom end rot, and keep an eye out for hornworms.
There is a natural fertilizer product called Texas Tomato Food. It is mixed 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water and it is amazing and prevents blossom end rot. I do not know if it is available up there. It has really improved the number and size of the tomatoes I harvest.

Has anyone here grown chervil before? I enjoy making fine herb French omelettes, Jacques Pepin style. I can find it dried in a shaker jar, but not fresh. I have done tarragon, parsley, and chive, tried chervil once but it was early in the growing season and the taste was not that noticeable yet.

There is a natural fertilizer product called Texas Tomato Food. It is mixed 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water and it is amazing and prevents blossom end rot. I do not know if it is available up there. It has really improved the number and size of the tomatoes I harvest.
I called them they do not sell in Canada yet but he said mixing in some calcium in the soil helps prevent the end rot.

Has anyone here grown chervil before? I enjoy making fine herb French omelettes, Jacques Pepin style. I can find it dried in a shaker jar, but not fresh. I have done tarragon, parsley, and chive, tried chervil once but it was early in the growing season and the taste was not that noticeable yet.

I have not grown it but west coast seed sells it, looks like it might bolt in hot weather

When I lived in Belgium the soupman would pull up in his delivery van, walk into the kitchen without knocking, and ladle soup into our pot 5 days a week. Chervil with little meatballs in a clear broth was on Mondays I think.

I sprincle some epsom salts around them once a week for blossom end rot. Works great and cheap. Ebsom salts is good for all plants. Don't quote me but I belive it helps with nutrient uptake of plants.

I sprincle some epsom salts around them once a week for blossom end rot. Works great and cheap. Ebsom salts is good for all plants. Don't quote me but I belive it helps with nutrient uptake of plants.
Epsom salts are basically magnesium and sulphur. You are correct that magnesium will assist with the plants ability to uptake nutrients, specifically macronutrients. Plants in the solanacea family (tomatoes and peppers) really dig the addition of magnesium.

UnReal! Our Garlic is developing scapes already!!

arMK1Jb.jpg

Earliest that has ever happened!

And the tomato plants are adorned with a handful of tomatoes too! Again, earlier than we've seen.

IsrSdem.jpg

Boding well for a decent early harvest or two methinks...

Cheers

Back