Garage With Boat Storage... Let’s See ‘Em!

Here is what I am shooting for. The first one is the orientation with the Garage doors on the Narrower face. This is the orientation I need due to positioning and size constraints on my lot. The second and third pictures are similar to the finish style I am digging.1.jpg
2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited:
I spent a year designing my garage back in 2012. I looked at every article I could get and talked to the experts. Mine was only for my two cars as the City of Vancouver wouldn't let me build over 490 Sq Ft. Its approx 23x21. I'd need a lot more space than that to park my Grady. Anyway, I learned a lot and built it the way I wanted as its my man cave and really an extension of my house. Frankly its as important as the living room if you ask me. Anyway, a couple of things I did; Make sure you have some grade in the floor to allow water run off. Make sure you ask the contractor to use a high quality concrete floor finish so its smooth as a babies rear. This allows me to keep the floor spotless. I foam insulated it to make it heat efficient. In order to allow humidity to be expelled, I installed a Dragon exhaust system set up on a humidistat. They are made in the Eastern US and are bullet proof. You can smoke a Cohiba in there and just suck the smoke right out. I put in 60 amp service as I wanted plenty of power. I installed 25 outlets, 8 alone at the workbench which is just enough. You can't have too many outlets. I put in a 220 Volt Oullet heating system mounted on the roof. It keeps the garage at 15-17 degrees or warmer during the cool months and cost very little in power. I put a fan in it to keep air circulating. I also installed hot water by way of an on demand system I bought at Home Depot called Stiebel Elton (German) that gives me all the hot water I want only as needed. Its great and again is cheap to operate as it only works when you turn it on. Oh, and I wired it for internet, house alarm/video security, comms to house and my Sonos system. You gotta have technology and tunes. Of course a fridge full of cold Peroni's and frozen Anchovies. Next project is to get a TV out there.

I spent a year designing my garage back in 2012. I looked at every article I could get and talked to the experts. Mine was only for my two cars as the City of Vancouver wouldn't let me build over 490 Sq Ft. Its approx 23x21. I'd need a lot more space than that to park my Grady. Anyway, I learned a lot and built it the way I wanted as its my man cave and really an extension of my house. Frankly its as important as the living room if you ask me. Anyway, a couple of things I did; Make sure you have some grade in the floor to allow water run off. Make sure you ask the contractor to use a high quality concrete floor finish so its smooth as a babies rear. This allows me to keep the floor spotless. I foam insulated it to make it heat efficient. In order to allow humidity to be expelled, I installed a Dragon exhaust system set up on a humidistat. They are made in the Eastern US and are bullet proof. You can smoke a Cohiba in there and just suck the smoke right out. I put in 60 amp service as I wanted plenty of power. I installed 25 outlets, 8 alone at the workbench which is just enough. You can't have too many outlets. I put in a 220 Volt Oullet heating system mounted on the roof. It keeps the garage at 15-17 degrees or warmer during the cool months and cost very little in power. I put a fan in it to keep air circulating. I also installed hot water by way of an on demand system I bought at Home Depot called Stiebel Elton (German) that gives me all the hot water I want only as needed. Its great and again is cheap to operate as it only works when you turn it on. Oh, and I wired it for internet, house alarm/video security, comms to house and my Sonos system. You gotta have technology and tunes. Of course a fridge full of cold Peroni's and frozen Anchovies. Next project is to get a TV out there.
I’m in Victoria and was limited in size for my shop too. I built20x30 with 10’ ceiling with a 9’x12’ door. I’m currently laying out the inside and wiring it and am seriously considering a Stiebel Elton on demand HW Heater. What size did you install? I was thinking 220v 30A. I’ll mainly use it to fill a 5 gallon pail to wash vehicles.

I can vouch for the Stiebel. I installed it in the last house we built. I used the Tempra 24 plus for whole home hot water in a 2600 sq. ft house. It was a simple DIY install and it performed well. I would certainly use one again.

I’m in Victoria and was limited in size for my shop too. I built20x30 with 10’ ceiling with a 9’x12’ door. I’m currently laying out the inside and wiring it and am seriously considering a Stiebel Elton on demand HW Heater. What size did you install? I was thinking 220v 30A. I’ll mainly use it to fill a 5 gallon pail to wash vehicles.

I put in a 220V 40 Amp unit. At least my elec box has a 40 amp breaker to service it. It may be a 30 amp unit and the electrician beefed up the breaker. Its a very small unit sold online at Home Depot. I think it was $250. I use it for washing my hands and filling the bucket to wash the cars. You have to wait about 5 seconds for hot water, but, otherwise its ideal.

Sounds like the exact unit I’m looking at. Nice to hear it works for you. I was initially looking at a 5-10 gallon hw tank but space is a premium. I can mount the DHC 8-2 tankless above the sink.
Did you install a 6” or 8” Dragon Exhaust fan and did you get it online? I want something to pull out the smoke for the small amount of welding, plasma cutting or machining I’ll do.
For heat I’m installing a Lennox natural gas garage space heater. I thought about installing a gas tankless hw heater but they are pricey and an overkill for filling a bucket to wash vehicles.
Plan is to install a standup 60 gallon air compressor outside and plumb outlets at each wall. I’ve had a couple of friends use 3/4” pex for the airline and 3/4” black pipe stubouts. Works great.

I put in a 220V 40 Amp unit. At least my elec box has a 40 amp breaker to service it. It may be a 30 amp unit and the electrician beefed up the breaker. Its a very small unit sold online at Home Depot. I think it was $250. I use it for washing my hands and filling the bucket to wash the cars. You have to wait about 5 seconds for hot water, but, otherwise its ideal.

Last edited:
Sounds like the exact unit I’m looking at. Nice to hear it works for you. I was initially looking at a 5-10 gallon hw tank but space is a premium. I can mount the DHC 8-2 tankless above the sink.
Did you install a 6” or 8” Dragon Exhaust fan and did you get it online? I want something to pull out the smoke for the small amount of welding, plasma cutting or machining I’ll do.
For heat I’m installing a Lennox natural gas garage space heater. I thought about installing a gas tankless hw heater but they are pricey and an overkill for filling a bucket to wash vehicles.
Plan is to install a standup 60 gallon air compressor outside and plumb outlets at each wall. I’ve had a couple of friends use 3/4” pex for the airline and 3/4” black pipe stubouts. Works great.

My Dragon is the 8” version. Not sure I need that much but it’s in now. It’s powerful. I also inatallled a Makita compressor. It has a dedicated power line to my elec box. Not as big as yours but adequate for cleaning and pumping up tires.

Roll up garage door is finally in. Clopay 160C installed by Garage Door Depot in Victoria. Very happy with their work. I had to cut out the attic floor to get the 18in diameter roll as far up as possible. It tucks perfectly between joists and is everything I hoped. Boat fits in without having to lower anything.

Super quiet operation compared to usual overhead door. It uses lift master remote so WiFi lights / phone and truck buttons are compatible.

Screenshot_20190518-212837_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20190518-213044_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20190518-213112_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20190518-213137_Photos.jpg

Back