Garage With Boat Storage... Let’s See ‘Em!

Here’s some more pics of what she looks like. I built shelves all around the top so I could unload and load the boat while she’s in garage without having to hoist anything up or down. Only thing I would change would have been barn style doors.

Attachments

• 408B07F0-106D-48E6-8807-D8220CBA6BD2.jpeg
    408B07F0-106D-48E6-8807-D8220CBA6BD2.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 259
  • A449983D-B33B-4D88-BC03-160B64FA20A4.jpeg
    A449983D-B33B-4D88-BC03-160B64FA20A4.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 276
We built our triple garage to house the boat as opposed to a separate shop which was going to cost a fortune..this way the boat is attached to house for easy access and we put in floor heat in the garage as well. It’s 36 feet deep with a 12 ft door. Fits my Grady White Gulfstream that 9’3 beam and with pod and pulpit is 31 ft long.
And a guard dog to keep everyone out! lol

We built our triple garage to house the boat as opposed to a separate shop which was going to cost a fortune..this way the boat is attached to house for easy access and we put in floor heat in the garage as well. It’s 36 feet deep with a 12 ft door. Fits my Grady White Gulfstream that 9’3 beam and with pod and pulpit is 31 ft long.
I really like it! Would look great as a detached building too.
Question 1 l) In the pic with the Grady tucked away in there, I’m baffled how it clear the garage door and track... it looks like the track is lower than the windshield of the boat? Am I on drugs?
Question 2) is the big door 12 high and 12 wide?

Looks like theres 3 doors, the middle is taller than the side 2. Look at the first pic of the exterior.

I really like it! Would look great as a detached building too.
Question 1 l) In the pic with the Grady tucked away in there, I’m baffled how it clear the garage door and track... it looks like the track is lower than the windshield of the boat? Am I on drugs?
Question 2) is the big door 12 high and 12 wide?

Looks to me like that track is for the far right garage. The centre ceiling looks much higher

There are very few properties that would allow for it and it does add to the cost but I’ve always thought it would be awesome to have my boat storage be drive through. If it’s in a shop having doors on both sides or a carport style just being able to pull right through. Backing into a garage in the dark after a long day on the water is the last thing I wanna do.

My neighbour has garage doors on the front and back of his garage so he has access to his back yard. He has a nice patio on the back and it's a great set-up for hosting parties. Agree on the tall garage doors on a garage and if it's going to be a working shop you want 8' all the way around the main bay for working space. Plus like the idea of a mezzanine over a work area for living space(kitchen/bar area, storage area). My buddy put 3/4" plywood on all interior walls in his shop. You don't have to worry about banging into it and damaging it and the kids use the shop to play hockey in. Also makes it easy to mount most things on the all. Make sure you put some drains in the floor and a bit of slope to all your garage doors for drainage.

My neighbour has garage doors on the front and back of his garage so he has access to his back yard. He has a nice patio on the back and it's a great set-up for hosting parties. Agree on the tall garage doors on a garage and if it's going to be a working shop you want 8' all the way around the main bay for working space. Plus like the idea of a mezzanine over a work area for living space(kitchen/bar area, storage area). My buddy put 3/4" plywood on all interior walls in his shop. You don't have to worry about banging into it and damaging it and the kids use the shop to play hockey in. Also makes it easy to mount most things on the all. Make sure you put some drains in the floor and a bit of slope to all your garage doors for drainage.
Sound nice! I live the idea of a mezzanine for hanging out, the only problem is I live in an area where the max square footage is 1070’ and I wan to use it up on the footprint. Might end up being a rancher garage even though I dig the idea of a second level.

Sound nice! I live the idea of a mezzanine for hanging out, the only problem is I live in an area where the max square footage is 1070’ and I wan to use it up on the footprint. Might end up being a rancher garage even though I dig the idea of a second level.
If your Sq/Ft is 1070' you could build a 32'x32' 3 bay shop and do 16' walls and 10' wide mezzanine on the back 2/3 of the shop. Or build something very similar to Newf's buddies place just taller walls. That 1st picture you posted with a dormer out the back too with a mezzanine over the middle bay with the stairs to the mezzanine at the back of the middle bay would be a nice set-up.

Install the mezzanine after you get occupancy?
I think that’s what Casper is getting at. I totally will if I can get away with it. I’ve heard my municipality is one that is hard to pull one over on. It would Probably have to have giant tall doors for them to allow that high of a ceiling. Then I could say im building it for a boat and RV storage so I need all the height. Otherwise they would ask why I need such high ceilings for an 8-10’ door.

A couple of these would do the trick. Look like they’d cost a couple of fortunes though!65E9C8DA-0504-47C1-85B5-42D876ADBF9D.png

I'm renoing a place and the garage is only 7ft to the joists so an overhead door drops clearance to 6ft. Because the joists are parallel to entrance, I'm working on a rollup door which can be put between joists. I should get the full 7ft height back, and no door in the way of lights or overhead storage when the door is up either.

Will post pics after I find someone to do the door. So definitely think about rollup doors and joist direction in your plans. :)

I built this 30 X 48 to keep the boat out of the weather a few years ago. I added a 14 ft wide addition later to bring my covered space up to 44 X 48 it has 15 ft. ceilings and inslab heat to keep the moisture under control. keeps all my gear warm and dryIMG_3714.JPG IMG_3148.JPG

T-Mac, that boat is awesome! What else have you filled up thst massive garage with?

What doors did you have made up there? 14t x 12w?

T-Mac, that boat is awesome! What else have you filled up thst massive garage with?

What doors did you have made up there? 14t x 12w?[/QUOTE

The doors are 14 x 12 on the boat side and 14 x 10 w on the other bay. I use it mostly as work space for mantaining my stuff, a bit of welding and wood work. It will be for sale soon, could come with a boat if you like .

Attachments

• IMG_1670.JPG
    IMG_1670.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 200
Great thread Stizz. I'll be following this one. I've got to tear down an old garage and build a new shop. I was hoping to get it done this year but I've got some zoning to work through first. I like the first plan you posted. I'm trying to squeeze in a 28'x40' but it will be tight. I've looked at a couple of mono pitch roof plans....not my favorite but my wife would like to design the house with more modern roof lines so I guess my shop will have to fit in.

Back