Fitting your boat in a double garage

Bearded wonder

Here’s my problem.

We are looking to sell our house and purchase a new house with a suite. The big issue for my is where to store my boat. My current house has boat parking on the side yard. The new house does not allow boats/trailers to be stored in the front/driveway. So the two options I have is to rent a covered spot at storage facility or to try and fit it in the garage.

My boat is a mid 90’s Campion Explorer 185 with a 2 stroke Yammy. It measures about 20’ from bow to motor. I would buy a new trailer with those fold away tongue. Has any one had success fitting a boat that size into a double garage that measures 18’ 8” to the garage door? Or opinions on storing your boat not at your house.

Hard to imagine my 10 grand boat would get in the way of purchasing a house. o_O

no chance. even with a folding trailer youre looking at 23-24 feet with outboard.
store it in a marina or just sell it and buy a inflatable rib with side console.

If it is a single door garage it might. But you need to take into account, that you may not be able to park a vehicle in there as well. You would move the boat to the middle of the garage. Just not to the end. Initially you could disconnect and maneuver the boat and trailer diagonally across the garage floor. Don't forget to take into account any height problems. Moving the boat and trailer might become tiresome after a while without using your vehicle, so you probably could develop a technique for getting it roughly where you wanted it. A front mounted hitch would be an enormous benefit here. You can buy a trailer with a folding tongue, or install one yourself if necessary.
With a two door attached garage, I don't see any way to put your boat inside, without major renovations to the house. With a detached garage though you might be able to extend the rear of the garage on one side enough to allow for parking the boar, albeit with a folding tongue.

Im going through the same thing right now in Nanaimo. We are going new build and (at great expense) there will be an attached double garage 26' 6" inside with a 10 foot door and 11 foot ceilings. Most of the new houses these days seem to be build with 18 or 19 feet depth which is basically useless.

you don't need to buy a new trailer for a fold away...hack away and install a galvanized fold away hitch. With your boat size and weight that hinge will be just fine and strong. That is if it will even fit with a fold away trailer.

The trailer could use replacing. I wouldn’t put any money into it. Height isn’t an issue as it’s a high height garage.

Has anyone fit a 18’ boat in a 19’ double car garage?

Or does anyone have advise on boat storage in Nanaimo? Is it practical?

I may just put that I need to try and put the boat in the garage as a condition of our offer.

I can’t seem to upload a picture of my old 185 campion in my garage. PM me your email address, and I’ll send you the picture.

Why aren’t you just using a tape measure and doing some layout to see if it will fit? Garages aren’t a standard length or anything and every boat is different. It’s not something that can be answered on a forum. My dads 20’ boat with I/O fit into a double garage when put on an angle and swing away tongue, but that doesn’t mean yours will fit into a different garage

I have my 1977 17.5 DE inboard, rebuilt and modified with a 24” pod and a 115 Yamaha outboard tucked into my garage. There’s enough room to get by behind and beside the boat, and I even have a kicker on the back, too... I did move the boat forward on the trailer to get a bit better weight distribution on the hitch. It’s a bit of a wiggle to get it in, but with tape on the floor to show where the wheels need to be, it works for me. Cheers!
ED1EE0D1-80C9-4344-9C1F-7B49E470E4CC.jpeg

The trailer could use replacing. I wouldn’t put any money into it. Height isn’t an issue as it’s a high height garage.

Has anyone fit a 18’ boat in a 19’ double car garage?

Or does anyone have advise on boat storage in Nanaimo? Is it practical?

I may just put that I need to try and put the boat in the garage as a condition of our offer.
I put a 18ft9in boat into a 20x20ft garage with one 16ft door easy. Swing tongue was nice but not critical.
If you're getting a new trailer go with a single axle if you can. Double axle is basically impossible to turn and move by hand.
For my current house I required another viewing so I could try putting boat in garage before I made an offer. That was for a height related issue.

I have my 1977 17.5 DE inboard, rebuilt and modified with a 24” pod and a 115 Yamaha outboard tucked into my garage. There’s enough room to get by behind and beside the boat, and I even have a kicker on the back, too... I did move the boat forward on the trailer to get a bit better weight distribution on the hitch. It’s a bit of a wiggle to get it in, but with tape on the floor to show where the wheels need to be, it works for me. Cheers!
View attachment 55173
That boat would look even better in my garage!

View attachment 55173
Beauty!!

View attachment 55173

Wow you even fit it with the engine tilted up! BTW is the pan underneath catching leaking trim fluid? I have the same engine and it leaked for the longest time. Then one day I topped it up and the leak stopped which was entirely unexpected.

Back